Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boyle County's Lamar Dawson is co-winner of Paul Hornung Award

Featured Replies

Congrats Lamar!

 

Lamar Dawson insists individual honors are not that important to him and that winning a second straight Class AAAA championship meant more to him than any individual honor.

However, the postseason awards just keep coming for the Boyle County senior and today he was named co-winner of the Paul Hornung High School Award presented annually to the state’s stop high school player by the Louisville Quarterback Club. He shares the award with Ballard receiver Devante Parker, a Louisville commit who had 62 catches for 1,609 yards and 17 touchdowns this season.

 

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/sports/amn-prep-football-boyle-countys-la-120910,0,1859377.story

Congrats and best o' luck at the next level.

Congrats. I hear a coach from Florida is in town trying to track him down and do damage control over Urban Meyer resigning.

Congrats. I hear a coach from Florida is in town trying to track him down and do damage control over Urban Meyer resigning.

 

Well go hide him PP92. :thumb:

That's awesome.

 

Parker had 1600 yards on only 62 catches???? Holy Jeez. Is that a state yardage record?

Congrats!

Well deserved for both young men. Congratulations!

That's awesome.

 

Parker had 1600 yards on only 62 catches???? Holy Jeez. Is that a state yardage record?

 

The numbers on khsaa do not include the last game. Parker ended the season with 1793 yards on 68 catches (26.4 yards per catch, 149.4 yards per game). I wish we kept state records for yards per catch or yards per game, but I we don't. Based on a quick review of the total receiving yards records, it seems like both would be records.

That's awesome.

 

Parker had 1600 yards on only 62 catches???? Holy Jeez. Is that a state yardage record?

 

And don't forget, did it against the BEST competition possible (St. X twice, Trinity, Male). The only non-6A schools he played against were 3A state champs Lou. Central (200+ yds, 2 TDs) and 4A state semi-finalist Lou. Western (2 TDs, 100+ yds).

 

Oh, and had over 150 receiving yards in 3 of the 4 the games (over 100 in the other) and a total of 7 TDs against the 6A powerhouses mentioned above despite being their #1 target.

 

The Dawson kid is a VERY good ball-player (saw him in person twice) and I say this in NO WAY to disparage him -- but in DeVante Parker, I doubt you'll ever see a player again be able to be as hard-to-stop as he was by perennial power type teams. I'd venture to say he'd have had maybe 2,000 or more yards receiving if he'd played at any level other than 6A football.

And don't forget, did it against the BEST competition possible (St. X twice, Trinity, Male). The only non-6A schools he played against were 3A state champs Lou. Central (200+ yds, 2 TDs) and 4A state semi-finalist Lou. Western (2 TDs, 100+ yds).

 

Oh, and had over 150 receiving yards in 3 of the 4 the games (over 100 in the other) and a total of 7 TDs against the 6A powerhouses mentioned above despite being their #1 target.

 

The Dawson kid is a VERY good ball-player (saw him in person twice) and I say this in NO WAY to disparage him -- but in DeVante Parker, I doubt you'll ever see a player again be able to be as hard-to-stop as he was by perennial power type teams. I'd venture to say he'd have had maybe 2,000 or more yards receiving if he'd played at any level other than 6A football.

 

Coach, will Ballard athletes of the future have the chance to play against that same level of competition? Are Trinity and X on next years schedule? Congratulations to Mr. Parker. He was great to watch (and scary) the last couple of years. Good luck to him and Mr. Dawson in their future endeavors.

Coach, will Ballard athletes of the future have the chance to play against that same level of competition? Are Trinity and X on next years schedule? Congratulations to Mr. Parker. He was great to watch (and scary) the last couple of years. Good luck to him and Mr. Dawson in their future endeavors.

 

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I'd like to see them be co-Mr. Football as well. They are both deserving and obviously the top 2 choices. I say split it.

 

Lamar Dawson has reportedly canceled his visit to Florida this weekend. The coach from Florida was here to get him to change his mind but apparently it didn't work. I think the Big Blue Nation actually likes Urban Meyer now.

 

 

I do still think Charlie Strong is the in state leader for his services and Oregon overall. Stay tuned.......

I'd like to see them be co-Mr. Football as well. They are both deserving and obviously the top 2 choices. I say split it.

 

You and I are in total agreement. I can't remember a time when there were two Ky. seniors (maybe 4 counting D. Smith & J. Davis) as 'national-level' elite as these 2 -- maybe the years with Bush/Brohm/Jones were the closest.

 

However, with the 'anti-Louisville' bias among sportswriters out in the state AND the fact most of the voters will have never been able to even see most of the candidates play, I'm not too optimistic for a split.

Coach, will Ballard athletes of the future have the chance to play against that same level of competition? Are Trinity and X on next years schedule? Congratulations to Mr. Parker. He was great to watch (and scary) the last couple of years. Good luck to him and Mr. Dawson in their future endeavors.

 

Good question. And yes, Ballard athletes will have the chance to compete against the same level of competition.

 

Playing Nease HS out of Florida next year in a bowl game. If that doesn't work out, I'm hoping we can insert X into that spot. No Trinity on the regular season schedule, but if we do well enough, we'd see them in the state finals. Playing Manual in regular season. Couldn't get Male for a regular season game, but they are going to scrimmage us. Central, Western, and Seneca are the other Jeff Co schools still playing us, but for our other games we had to go out of our area -- added a VERY good Warren Central program for week 5 (2010 state semifinalist, beat Bowling Green, their coach was 5A coach of the year) and got some "northern Ky. flavor" with Campbell Co. in week 10.

 

No Trinity on the regular season schedule then (which is what I THINK you're getting at), but it is possible to have a schedule without them and still provide a good 'level of competition.'

You and I are in total agreement. I can't remember a time when there were two Ky. seniors (maybe 4 counting D. Smith & J. Davis) as 'national-level' elite as these 2 -- maybe the years with Bush/Brohm/Jones were the closest.

 

However, with the 'anti-Louisville' bias among sportswriters out in the state AND the fact most of the voters will have never been able to even see most of the candidates play, I'm not too optimistic for a split.

 

I hear you. I had a brief conversation with a Louisville based journalist and he was voting for Parker but he too felt like anti-Louisville bias may tilt the vote in Lamar's favor. I guess we'll see.

 

 

Take care and good luck, Coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.