Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jaylen Beckham

Featured Replies

Jaylen will not be returning to lexcath - he is welcome to return his senior year - no idea where he might end up

  • Replies 65
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can he go to be eligible to play this year? Or is that not possible now?

Where can he go to be eligible to play this year? Or is that not possible now?

 

Very interesting situation. If we assume the family hasn't moved then I'm not sure how he can be eligible to play elsewhere.

Am I wrong in assuming that the only way he's eligible is if he attends a public school?

 

Not sure how it works but I was thinking if you transfer from private to public, you're eligible but private to private or public to public, you aren't eligible? Or is it vice versa? All very confusing with all the KHSAA rules and bylaws these days, especially with the "loopholes."

From what I understand is that it doesn't matter if its public to public, public to private, private to private, or private to public...without the legitimate change of address, it doesn't matter what type of school you transfer from and then to, you're still ineligible.

Lexcath releases players when they leave so he can play anywhere - if he chooses to come back his senior year the school he would be leaving would have the option to release or not

Jaylen will not be returning to lexcath - he is welcome to return his senior year - no idea where he might end up

 

If Lex Cath won't take him back this year for whatever reason then I would assume he could play at his home public school- but this is just conjecture.

Lexcath releases players when they leave so he can play anywhere - if he chooses to come back his senior year the school he would be leaving would have the option to release or not

 

I don't believe it is Catholic's choice here. Just because they released him doesn't mean he's eligible elsewhere. KHSAA rules say you have to have a legitimate change of address or sit out a year. So to play this year he has to move, although I am not sure how any move would be deemed legitimate at this point and only for purposes of sports so KHSAA could still rule him ineligible. If he doesn't move and wants to play I would think he would sit out this year and play at Bryan Station next year.

So all of these rules apply even though he initially moved out of state and then came back to the state but for whatever reason he isn't allowed to attend the school he was attending before he moved? Seems awful harsh for a kid just trying to find somewhere to attend school at. It'd be a shame if he can't play this year because he isn'tallowed to attend the school he just left.

I don't know the whole story here, but if what was posted above is true, I sincerely doubt Catholic is saying he can't go to school there. They are simply saying he can't play basketball and I commend them for that. He turned his back on them by transferring out of state so why should they open the door back open. How is that fair ... especially to the rest of the team?

Don't know the details when he left but sounds like there might have been some bridges burnt when he headed to New Jersey?? If this is a case of the LexCath coaches and administrators taking a stand and saying you can't just jump ship and come back without consequences then I think you have to applaud the stand they are taking.

I don't believe it is Catholic's choice here. Just because they released him doesn't mean he's eligible elsewhere. KHSAA rules say you have to have a legitimate change of address or sit out a year. So to play this year he has to move, although I am not sure how any move would be deemed legitimate at this point and only for purposes of sports so KHSAA could still rule him ineligible. If he doesn't move and wants to play I would think he would sit out this year and play at Bryan Station next year.

 

Isn't Catholic a private school? If so, how does this come into play?

Jaylen will not be returning to lexcath - he is welcome to return his senior year - no idea where he might end up

 

I don't know the whole story here, but if what was posted above is true, I sincerely doubt Catholic is saying he can't go to school there. They are simply saying he can't play basketball and I commend them for that. He turned his back on them by transferring out of state so why should they open the door back open. How is that fair ... especially to the rest of the team?

 

Don't know the details when he left but sounds like there might have been some bridges burnt when he headed to New Jersey?? If this is a case of the LexCath coaches and administrators taking a stand and saying you can't just jump ship and come back without consequences then I think you have to applaud the stand they are taking.

 

The first post is the only info we have to go by. Nothing is ever mentioned of the coaches denying him a chance to play. My impression is of the school denying him entrance for his junior year.

 

I'd also have a hard time believing any coach in this state wouldn't take Jaylen Beckham if he could have him this year. Especially with his brother on the team. I am almost certain whole team would welcome him back. With open arms. If that isn't the case then how did all of this drama escape the watchful eyes of BGP? He left the state to play at a prep school and it didn't work out. Those are some ultra sensitive coaches if they won't let him play because of that. IMO. Why even let him come back for his senior year if that's the case?

 

I hope his situation gets worked out soon.

Even if he never left and went to NJ he could not attend Lexcath again until his senior year - meeting with Lexcath was to see if possible change of mind on Lexcath side. Rules are rules and the adminstration made no exception because he is a fine basketball player. I would hope no school would hold it against a kid for trying to pursue a dream.

Even if he never left and went to NJ he could not attend Lexcath again until his senior year - meeting with Lexcath was to see if possible change of mind on Lexcath side. Rules are rules and the adminstration made no exception because he is a fine basketball player. I would hope no school would hold it against a kid for trying to pursue a dream.

 

Thank you for clearing that up. That was my impression from your initial post.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.