Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Better to begin playoffs coming off a hard fought competitive game or an easy W?

Featured Replies

I hear lots of chatter on Simon Kenton not preparing themselves for the playoffs because they played Scott the last week of the regular season. It makes all the sense in the world to me that it would be better to enter into the playoffs well rested than to be coming off a very competitive and tiring game such as the Ryle vs Highlands game on Thursday. Personally I think that if a team hasn't found their identity and doesn't know what they need to do going into the last week of the season than that team has real issues. Simon Kenton enters into the playoffs feeling good regardless of whom they played, they put up 40+ points with their starters and then rested them for a whole half all while getting the replacements some valuable time. Thoughts???

Depends on how tough your schedule was proceeding the last game. Sometimes it is better to rest and sometimes you need to play 4 tough quarters again.

Several schools scheduled their bye this weekend. I guess that qualifies as getting more rest than playing a pushover.

With our scheduling we play the same team again. The game Friday went into 2 OT's. I know this dosn't happen alot, but that is just the way it worked out. As far as advantage in this situtation, I see GRC with the advantage as this time the game is on their home field.

There are a couple of influencing factors that can't be predicted when setting the schedule. If a team has been battling injuries all season, I don't think anyone would argue against a soft final game where the starters can rest after the first quarter or half. However, if your team is healthy, I like to see a good battle for at least the first 2 or 3 quarters of the final regular season game. At this point in the season, a teams collective skill level "is what it is" and won't change dramatically in a week or two. On the other hand, a team's passion and determination to win can change, and is usually the difference maker in tournament play. I'm for not coasting.

Depends on how tough your schedule was proceeding the last game. Sometimes it is better to rest and sometimes you need to play 4 tough quarters again.

 

When I clicked on this post the BOLD print above was my thoughts!!! But I believe the best you could do is have a open week before the playoffs like we do!!

It depends on what the team needs at that current time.

 

If your team is beat up and needs a week to rest, then it is great to get an easy W and let the younger guys play.

 

If you need to know what you need to fix and you have played in a weak district. Then some one that will push you is always a benefit. Gets the kids focused and the coaches can tweak what is needed.

I would think most teams want a tune-up game where nobody gets hurt!

I would think most teams want a tune-up game where nobody gets hurt!

 

Speaking of "nobody gets hurt". How does the injury report for the Birds look? Hope the 'wounded' all make it back for second playoff week. IMO this week should be no problem. Anyone know status of injuries for the Birds??

 

Also, Hope the injured with Ryle ,NCC and Beechwood recover soon for NKY playoff runs !!!

In the case of my hometown team (Hazard), the philosophy of the coaching staff has been to schedule a tough game as the last game of the season. The past two years the last game of the year has been against Clay Co. Before that they played LCA in that slot and they have added Sheldon Clark as the last game for the next year. I believe they do this because they play in a weak district. No disrespect to the other teams in the district but those teams have been down the past few years. Harlan gave Hazard a good game this year playing them tough for 3 quarters before getting overwhelmed in the 4th quarter by the speed and depth of Hazard losing 50-20. But other than that game they have not had a close district game in 4 years.

So basically they are playing 3 weak opponents in the weeks prior to the last week of the season. As it has worked out the first two rounds of the playoffs have been against weak opponents as well. So I think they feel if they don’t play a tough game in the last week they are playing 6 straight games without really playing any starters in the 2nd half of those games going into the regional championship game.

In the case of my hometown team (Hazard), the philosophy of the coaching staff has been to schedule a tough game as the last game of the season. The past two years the last game of the year has been against Clay Co. Before that they played LCA in that slot and they have added Sheldon Clark as the last game for the next year. I believe they do this because they play in a weak district. No disrespect to the other teams in the district but those teams have been down the past few years. Harlan gave Hazard a good game this year playing them tough for 3 quarters before getting overwhelmed in the 4th quarter by the speed and depth of Hazard losing 50-20. But other than that game they have not had a close district game in 4 years.

So basically they are playing 3 weak opponents in the weeks prior to the last week of the season. As it has worked out the first two rounds of the playoffs have been against weak opponents as well. So I think they feel if they don’t play a tough game in the last week they are playing 6 straight games without really playing any starters in the 2nd half of those games going into the regional championship game.

 

Ditto this for Beechwood. Bellevue was very tough last year and Beechwood was down a little. But besides that, the district has not been much of a challenge and the first two rounds of the playoffs aren't either. So Beechwood has Newport Central Catholic on the schedule as the last game to get in 4 tough quarters against a top notch team. That also gives Beechwood one last check on what they still need to work on to win a title. You just hope there are no serious injuries. The minor injuries that may happen are no problem because you won't need everyone till three weeks later anyway.

 

The bigger schools who have tough districts and challenges in the early playoff rounds - I can see a bye or a "tune up" type opponent. For example, Simon Kenton playing Scott last week makes sense for them IMO.

I agree that it depends on what you feel you need...but there are so many varying factors. Such as, are you rolling right now? Are you scrapping by? Are there injuries to work out? Do you need some more game speed plays? All in all, I'd like a decent opponent who plays tough for a half, then gets over matched, we can rest the second half. It's imperative to keep the legs under the players, or you'll lose them for the rest of the season.

A tough game maybe not a nail biter but one that will keep you sharp is my thinking, but what do I konw.....I can't even spell know.

Idk I used to love the Covington Catholic/Highlands match-up at the end of the season.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #13

I think that it depends on the schedule that the team has played. If they have had a very hard schedule then they need an easy or vice versa if they have had an easy schedule.IMO

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.