Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What has happened to Dayton?

Featured Replies

I am perfectly aware that Dayton has struggled fairly consistently over the years, but they really seem to be at rock bottom. They had a little success during the time that Coach Lickert was there, but since he went to Holmes, things have really spiralled again. I also know that Dayton is a small town and that the team does not have many players and fewer resources in comparison to several others. I can accept losing seasons, but getting beat 157-0 by Bellevue, Newport, and Walton-Verona is not acceptable.

 

I went to Dayton and fortunately had the opportunity to play with them during a time that it was good, which was from 1994-96. They had an excellent team that could have made it to state and won it all with their senior class of '97. They had two or three more fairly successful seasons after the one that was mentioned, but there has not been anything good lately.

 

Thoughts? Anyone?

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the same stage as you. While I am a Bellevue guy, it does pain me to an extent to see Dayton drop off so much. Just 3 years ago they had one of their best teams in a long time and now I dont see anything from em. I have many people that I know from Dayton, some very very close to the program and I think that most of them are in agreement that coaching is a big issue there.

The attitude of the players is the worst I have seen in years around here.

The attitude of the players is the worst I have seen in years around here.

 

I've heard this from many people around the program.

  • Author

Coaching is definitely a huge problem. Earlier in the season when they lost to Taylor, OH, the coach went off and broke a window inside the schoolbus. He only got a two or three game suspension and had to pay for the window. When things like this happen, the attitudes of players are not going to get better. It is clearly evident that Dayton needs a new head coach. With the coaching staff that is there, it would be nice to see Tim Chenot get a chance. If he isn't interested, bring someone in that is from Dayton and that can be more motivational.

Coaching is definitely a huge problem. Earlier in the season when they lost to Taylor, OH, the coach went off and broke a window inside the schoolbus. He only got a two or three game suspension and had to pay for the window. When things like this happen, the attitudes of players are not going to get better. It is clearly evident that Dayton needs a new head coach. With the coaching staff that is there, it would be nice to see Tim Chenot get a chance. If he isn't interested, bring someone in that is from Dayton and that can be more motivational.

 

This would be a great idea. His wife used to be my teacher in 3-4 grade. Great guy would be perfect for the job. Something big has to happen down in Dayton.

When things are as bad as they are this year, you have to look at the coaching. But I think everyone associated with the program - players, parents, coaches - and even the school staff and administration need to do a self check also. The coach needs to have a vision that everyone buys into. From what I have heard, there have been internal issues from the get go this year and that tells me there is a disconnect between the players and the coaches. I think there are some athletes on this year's team - enough for the team to be better than what they are showing.

Sure it's a bad thing when a coach punches a window on a bus. But what would cause him to do it? A loss? They have lost before. Something was said on the bus Coach didn't like. Anyway Schools like Dayton, Brossart, Ludlow and even Bellevue are going to have years of ups and downs. Personally I like the smaller school programs and wish them Luck.

Truthfully the competitiveness of the small schools along the river has been spiralling downward over the last 10+ years. I'm not sure what to attribute it to but I know that surely it can't be just coaching. Bellevue, Dayton, and Ludlow have been virtual coaching carousels over the last decade. Some of those coaches have gone on to do very well other places. In fact, I'd bet that the constant coaching turnover is one of the many reasons these schools are struggling.

 

I have heard that enrollment has consistenly declined, I'm not sure if that is true. Is the allure of the bigger schools facilities drawing kids away from these schools?

  • Author
When things are as bad as they are this year, you have to look at the coaching. But I think everyone associated with the program - players, parents, coaches - and even the school staff and administration need to do a self check also. The coach needs to have a vision that everyone buys into. From what I have heard, there have been internal issues from the get go this year and that tells me there is a disconnect between the players and the coaches. I think there are some athletes on this year's team - enough for the team to be better than what they are showing.

 

That is likely true with administration and others within the school. I have not heard anything that is going on with the school internally recently, but do know that many of the people that were considered much better than the more newer ones within the school's leadership roles left for other schools, with the majority of them going to Covington Independent. Won't name any names, except for the most obvious and recent one in Lickert.

I hate seeing the Devils struggle as well and being a former Tiger it sounds weird to say.

I have heard that Deaton's " highlands" offense simply doesnt suit the personnel of the Devils especially these past two seasons. Dayton just doesnt have the athletes yearly to run that system IMO.

I have seen Dayton three times this year and they have a good number of player's and some good size. I also have seen several very good athelectic players on this team. The chemestry is just not there this year. At times they looked like they were moving the ball down the field then they would have a penalty or turnover. If this team stays together the next couple of years they will be very competitive I only wish them luck. JD

I think they started the year with 45 kids and now in the low 20's. They had problems snapping the ball against Walton. Hope they turn things around.

How many Dayton kids play football at Highlands. I can't spell or say the word but I was told that a kid from Dayton can go to Highlands for free.

How many Dayton kids play football at Highlands. I can't spell or say the word but I was told that a kid from Dayton can go to Highlands for free.

 

I was told about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and that my government knew what was best for me.

Seriously, why would Highlands need kids from Dayton?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.