Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spring Football Proposal

Featured Replies

Southwestern High School is proposing to allow spring football practice to happen any three (3) week period after basketball season, but prior to May 30th.

 

This will be considered by the KHSAA Board of Control on 9/20 and would go into effect next year.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would eliminate some of the problems with weather. Most teams are lucky to get in a good week of practice. I would love to see Ky follow suit of other states and have a spring scrimmage for teams.

This is the smartest proposal I've seen yet. Now add that now athlete participating in a spring sport is eligible to participate and no one has any need to be opposed to it.

With this proposal, a program could:

a. practice the last three weeks of May in full gear.

b. practice in helmets/cleats all summer long until around August 1 (minus the dead period)

c. practice full gear from around August 1 until November or when the season is finished.

 

In a nutshell a football player could practice from the second week of May until November. Coaches would have about 11-12 weeks to prepare for Game 1. How is this good? When is too much too much?

 

My proposal would be:

a. No spring football

b. No instruction until July 9.

c. Weights and conditioning only from the end of season until beginning of dead period.

d. Full gear August 1 or x amount of days prior to first day of school.

I want the 3 weeks, with a scrimmage at the end like some other states do it. That would really make Spring Football even more beneficial I believe.

I want the 3 weeks, with a scrimmage at the end like some other states do it. That would really make Spring Football even more beneficial I believe.

 

I'm with you, I have said it many time on here and in person. We need to have a window for spring football where everyone has the same dates (like May 1st - May 15) and it should be ended with a inter school scrimmage. And, run an officiating clinic in each region at the same time, to help the officials get ready for the upcoming season, and let them end the clinic by officiating scrimmages. Preferably doing multiple scrimmages at one location so the officials can better benefit from the multiple games.

 

Big event, big importance put on Spring Football, big opportunity for improvement of players and officials. Big win for Kentucky Football.

I'm with you, I have said it many time on here and in person. We need to have a window for spring football where everyone has the same dates (like May 1st - May 15) and it should be ended with a inter school scrimmage. And, run an officiating clinic in each region at the same time, to help the officials get ready for the upcoming season, and let them end the clinic by officiating scrimmages. Preferably doing multiple scrimmages at one location so the officials can better benefit from the multiple games.

 

Big event, big importance put on Spring Football, big opportunity for improvement of players and officials. Big win for Kentucky Football.

 

I totally agree.

Your proposal would set football back in Ky a great deal...it makes no one better.

Your proposal would set football back in Ky a great deal...it makes no one better.

 

Why do you say that? This is the same model used in Florida. It's not that controversial.

With this proposal, a program could:

a. practice the last three weeks of May in full gear.

b. practice in helmets/cleats all summer long until around August 1 (minus the dead period)

c. practice full gear from around August 1 until November or when the season is finished.

 

In a nutshell a football player could practice from the second week of May until November. Coaches would have about 11-12 weeks to prepare for Game 1. How is this good? When is too much too much?

My proposal would be:

a. No spring football

b. No instruction until July 9.

c. Weights and conditioning only from the end of season until beginning of dead period.

d. Full gear August 1 or x amount of days prior to first day of school.

 

What makes the proposal "too much?" There isn't anything in the rule that forces schools to participate in spring football, so those that don't want to don't have to. Those that do, will have an opportunity to do so in much more optimal weather.

Your proposal would set football back in Ky a great deal...it makes no one better.

 

Further more, while we are on the subject:

 

Why is it that every time expanding Spring Football is discussed it is stated that it will hurt football? Because Ohio doesn't have Spring Football? If this was true, AAU and open gyms would be hurting basketball and summer leagues and fall leagues would be hurting baseball. Why would a true Spring Football Window hurt football?

Why do you say that? This is the same model used in Florida. It's not that controversial.

 

I think and hope he was talking about Orangecrush's proposal. I was not a fan of that one, because it eliminated Spring Football.

 

I'd love to hear the argument that having 3 weeks during late April & early May with a scrimmage at the end would set the state back. I think that would be a win-win for everyone, players, coaches, referees, and fans.

I think and hope he was talking about Orangecrush's proposal. I was not a fan of that one, because it eliminated Spring Football.

 

Oh, that makes sense to me.

Oh, that makes sense to me.

 

:thumb:

 

The more I think about it I can't believe we don't have a spring scrimmage in KY. That would be a great way to keep getting more kids out. I think you could talk anyone into trying out football for 3 weeks to see if they like it.

I was talking about the proposal that eliminated spring practice. I think you should have a 3 week window to get in 10 practices where any non-spring sport athlete can participate in spring football with a scrimmage against another team for the last practice if so desired.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.