Islamophobia - Media Driven?

Islam is the only religion folks seem to go out of their way to attack. I didn't see anyone complaining when the Buddhist temple was build on US60 between Lex and Winchester. Nor do I see people protesting at the mosque on Limestone across from UK's campus. Of course, that one's been there for 10+ years. Why is it a big deal all of a sudden when Muslims want to build mosques?
My guess would be that two large buildings attacked and 3,000 people killed in NYC in the name of Islam would be the difference. Islam is not alone, the left in this country have attacked and impuned Christianity for years.

Islam is the only religion folks seem to go out of their way to attack.

Ever heard of the Holocaust? I'd say that Judaism was attacked pretty rough. I know the point you were trying to make, but I thoought that it needed pointing out.

I really don't think people would be as against the mosques being built in their community if it weren't for 9/11.

You are correct. The teachings of Islam is anything but tolerant or moderate, to think otherwise is foolish. Many Muslims are tolerant folk. The two can be seperated.

Islam is the epitomie of intollerance.

I think you're onto something there.

Islam is the only religion folks seem to go out of their way to attack. I didn't see anyone complaining when the Buddhist temple was build on US60 between Lex and Winchester. Nor do I see people protesting at the mosque on Limestone across from UK's campus. Of course, that one's been there for 10+ years. Why is it a big deal all of a sudden when Muslims want to build mosques?

Are you serious???

You seem to be somewhat on the left of the spectrum. I find it odd that Islam is the only religion that those on the left go out of thier way to defend. Islam is the epitomie of intollerance.

Why does the "left" or "right" matter in a discussion such as this? Does it really matter unless the objective is to catagorize and create a group of "them?" :idunno:

I'm on the "Left" many times but you will find no greater defender of the Christian faith and truth than me. :irked:

When you say "media driven" - do you mean what the right-wing idealogues call the "drive-by media"; do you mean the shills for the right-wing like Hannity, Rush, etc.; or all media?

I'm saying all media because they give it coverage, debate it on every angle and every hour. Until these last few months, we heard very little about mosque controversies and now they seem to be popping up every day. I just think it's because it's the hot topic of the day and talking about it draws viewers.

Ever heard of the Holocaust? I'd say that Judaism was attacked pretty rough. I know the point you were trying to make, but I thoought that it needed pointing out.

I really don't think people would be as against the mosques being built in their community if it weren't for 9/11.

I seem to recall them mentioning something about that briefly in history class in high school. I think the History Channel had a show about it once. :D

What I meant, though, is that no one would protest a synagogue, Buddhist temple or church. Islam is the religion (right now) that everyone likes to give a hard time.

Why does the "left" or "right" matter in a discussion such as this? Does it really matter unless the objective is to catagorize and create a group of "them?" :idunno:

I'm on the "Left" many times but you will find no greater defender of the Christian faith and truth than me. :irked:

True, but you are the exception, not the rule.

I seem to recall them mentioning something about that briefly in history class in high school. I think the History Channel had a show about it once. :D

What I meant, though, is that no one would protest a synagogue, Buddhist temple or church. Islam is the religion (right now) that everyone likes to give a hard time.

The religion of Islam has earned that distinction.

I'm saying all media because they give it coverage, debate it on every angle and every hour. Until these last few months, we heard very little about mosque controversies and now they seem to be popping up every day. I just think it's because it's the hot topic of the day and talking about it draws viewers.

Isn't the whole premise of Islam to destroy all those that refuse to be converted? Yeah, I feel so sorry for them.

With the explosion of anti-mosque stories popping up everywhere recently, it just got me thinking- is this a condition that has existed in America since 9/11 and just lay dormant for 9 years? Or is this an entirely media driven issue?

Maybe the media is doing the right thing by driving with this. Look at what has happened in Mayfield just hours after denial of a mosque permit. A Somali was arrested at the proposed mosque site and charged with attempted kiddnapping of a 12 year old girl. Should we be taking a harder look at these people who are from a different culture or is this just bad timeing from a Bad Apple? Is Islam tolerant of such activities? http://www.westkentuckystar.com/News/Local---Regional/Western-Kentucky/Somali-Man-Charged-with-Attempted-Kidnapping

I would say many in Mayfield certainly have Islamophobia now

Maybe the media is doing the right thing by driving with this. Look at what has happened in Mayfield just hours after denial of a mosque permit. A Somali was arrested at the proposed mosque site and charged with attempted kiddnapping of a 12 year old girl. Should we be taking a harder look at these people who are from a different culture or is this just bad timeing from a Bad Apple? Is Islam tolerant of such activities? http://www.westkentuckystar.com/News/Local---Regional/Western-Kentucky/Somali-Man-Charged-with-Attempted-Kidnapping

I would say many in Mayfield certainly have Islamophobia now

Great idea! We know that NOBODY else besides "people of a different culture" has ever kidnapped an American child. :lol: