Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Tournament Format

Featured Replies

I personally like this new format. I think it will put the best 64 teams in the tournament when that round starts.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally like this new format. I think it will put the best 64 teams in the tournament when that round starts.

 

:thumb:

I personally like this new format. I think it will put the best 64 teams in the tournament when that round starts.

If you want the best 64 teams, then do away with the automatic qualifier from lower level conferences. If the BCS schools are in favor of this type format, they need to break away and form their own tournament and the mid-majors can do the same.

I'm not a fan of the new format. Looks like it is on the verge of being watered down just like college football bowl season. I'm not sure what the problem is with the current format? Seemed to be working great to me, produced some of the most exciting basketball I've ever seen.

If you want the best 64 teams, then do away with the automatic qualifier from lower level conferences. If the BCS schools are in favor of this type format, they need to break away and form their own tournament and the mid-majors can do the same.

 

That would be a terrible decision. Basketball has so much more parity then Football. Look at Butler this past year, and Davidson a few years ago. That makes the NCAA Basketball Tournament so special. The Big Boys always win in football and thats totally different then Basketball.

I'm not a fan of the new format. Looks like it is on the verge of being watered down just like college football bowl season. I'm not sure what the problem is with the current format? Seemed to be working great to me, produced some of the most exciting basketball I've ever seen.

 

It's 2 extra games and I think it won't go any further then this. Is 2 extra play in games really that big of a deal?

If you want the best 64 teams, then do away with the automatic qualifier from lower level conferences. If the BCS schools are in favor of this type format, they need to break away and form their own tournament and the mid-majors can do the same.

 

That would be terrible for college basketball, IMO.

 

Look at how many lower seeds have won over the years from lower-mid major conferences, and you'll see why it's done the way it is.

 

This new format will only help the NCAA tourney improve and I think while some of you dislike it now, after seeing it this coming season you may have a change of heart.

That would be terrible for college basketball, IMO.

 

Look at how many lower seeds have won over the years from lower-mid major conferences, and you'll see why it's done the way it is.

 

This new format will only help the NCAA tourney improve and I think while some of you dislike it now, after seeing it this coming season you may have a change of heart.

 

I despise your avatar Walter :irked: but agree with your point!

That would be terrible for college basketball, IMO.

 

Look at how many lower seeds have won over the years from lower-mid major conferences, and you'll see why it's done the way it is.

 

This new format will only help the NCAA tourney improve and I think while some of you dislike it now, after seeing it this coming season you may have a change of heart.

 

I am not disagreeing that would be a terrible idea, but you also said, "I personally like this new format. I think it will put the best 64 teams in the tournament when that round starts"

 

How does this format put in the best 64 teams? The two 16 seeds without a play-in game, or the 15 seeds, or 14 seeds, are not better than the last few teams left out.

I despise your avatar Walter :irked: but agree with your point!

 

I'm pretty fond of it myself :p.

It will get rid of some of the controversy with particular bubble teams

 

No it won't. It just moves the controversy from team 66 to team 69

That would be terrible for college basketball, IMO.

 

Look at how many lower seeds have won over the years from lower-mid major conferences, and you'll see why it's done the way it is.

 

This new format will only help the NCAA tourney improve and I think while some of you dislike it now, after seeing it this coming season you may have a change of heart.

 

How many of teh lower seeds have won the championship over the years? That would be zero. This will not get the best 64 teams in the tourny and it solves nothing. Everyone was crying last year about ______________(insert team) being left out and next year people will still be crying about teams being left out.

The NCAA hoops tournament weakens the regular season, and now they are continuing to water down the end of year tournament. All about money, and I will be in the minority, but they are losing my interest in it.

 

I hear this argument often - the tournament cheapens the regular season - and I just don't get it. The regular season is huge in determining a team's seed in their conference tournament as well as RPI being huge in NCAA seeding. The only place where I think the regular season gets cheapened by the post season is the lower rung conferences where the regular season champion may not make the tournament if they lose in their conference tournament. And I guess you could make the argument there that the team should have played a tougher regular season schedule and won some non conference games to boost their RPI.

I hear this argument often - the tournament cheapens the regular season - and I just don't get it. The regular season is huge in determining a team's seed in their conference tournament as well as RPI being huge in NCAA seeding. The only place where I think the regular season gets cheapened by the post season is the lower rung conferences where the regular season champion may not make the tournament if they lose in their conference tournament. And I guess you could make the argument there that the team should have played a tougher regular season schedule and won some non conference games to boost their RPI.

 

VOR-this tournament is beginning to be silly. Let 'em all in. The regular season is virtually meaningless. I remember when the regular season games meant something. Now there is Big Monday, Super tuesday, Huge Wednesday, etc, and let's face it-we all know Kentucky, Michigan State, Duke, etc are going to be in the tournament at the beginning of the year. The SEC regular season championship used to mean something-now it doesn't. Do folks really get reved up about the Big 10/ACC clash-I don't. All people remember is what you did in the tournament and that means as long as you get in what difference does it make? Can you honestly tell me who won the Big East regular season crown last year, or the Pac 10-I can't, and in the end it didn't matter because all that mattered was that Duke beat Butler in the finals.

VOR-this tournament is beginning to be silly. Let 'em all in. The regular season is virtually meaningless. I remember when the regular season games meant something. Now there is Big Monday, Super tuesday, Huge Wednesday, etc, and let's face it-we all know Kentucky, Michigan State, Duke, etc are going to be in the tournament at the beginning of the year. The SEC regular season championship used to mean something-now it doesn't. Do folks really get reved up about the Big 10/ACC clash-I don't. All people remember is what you did in the tournament and that means as long as you get in what difference does it make? Can you honestly tell me who won the Big East regular season crown last year, or the Pac 10-I can't, and in the end it didn't matter because all that mattered was that Duke beat Butler in the finals.

 

If you really think about it, every team in the NCAA is already in the tournament. So that lends itself to your argument that the regular season doesn't matter. I say they are all in because when the regular season ends, virtually every team in the nation can win the tournament through their conference tournament then the NCAA. The NCAA tournament is really a second chance tourney for all the teams that got beat in their conference tournament. It is a little like losing in the district championship and then getting to go to the regional in KY HS basketball. All the teams that lose their conference tournament actually already have been knocked out of the tournament. But the NCAA does their big selection process to give all these teams a second chance at the tournament title. And that is why I say it makes the regular season important because that is how you earn your second chance once you are knocked out of the tournament during the conference tournament round.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.