Red's needs for the second half of the season.

What do the Red's need to do to prepare for the second half of the season? Jocketty made an attempt to trade for Cliff Lee so are there other needs that need to be addressed to have this team in contention come September. What about the closer situation? Do they need a left handed bat off the bench? Who are the starters, who needs to be in the bullpen for the push for the playoffs. Is the team fine where they are? Let's discuss it, at least we aren't talking about who they will dump like we usually are this time of year.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rotation is fine, and should be for years. The Reds need a new closer, but there is no way they can unload Choke O, so they're stuck with him thru 2011.

Do you think it is a bigger risk, removing him from the role or maybe even having him share the role depending on the situation? I for one think that in tight situations I would rather see Arthur run out there than CoCo. I am not big on closer by committee but CoCo just does nothing the easy way and it makes no difference where the opponent is in the order.

I think the rotation is fine, and should be for years. The Reds need a new closer, but there is no way they can unload Choke O, so they're stuck with him thru 2011.

Does being stuck with him mean they must keep trotting him out there to creat havoc in the 9th? Better to sacrifice his salary than ballgames? Do we keep running him out there if he can't get anyone out just because he's owed a ton of bucks? I say dont penalize this team just because of a bad contract. If he can't get his act together, I say give him

no more work in innings that matter.

Edited by the mathemagician

What do the Red's need to do to prepare for the second half of the season? Jocketty made an attempt to trade for Cliff Lee so are there other needs that need to be addressed to have this team in contention come September. What about the closer situation? Do they need a left handed bat off the bench? Who are the starters, who needs to be in the bullpen for the push for the playoffs. Is the team fine where they are? Let's discuss it, at least we aren't talking about who they will dump like we usually are this time of year.

Lance Nix?

I think it's much more important for Dusty to stop running Masset out there in important situations than it is to talk about a new closer.

Seems like with Wood's 2 performances this week that the Reds have a real problem heading into the All-Star break. What do you do coming out with the rotation? Doesn't Wood deserve another start?

Maloney will probably be optioned to make room for Volquez

The Reds need bullpen help.

Also I am a little concerned about the Rolen/Hernandez injury situation. Rolen is a stud and has a winning aura and drives in runs likes it is his purpose in life. If he is more seriously hurt than we think, or must take more and more days off, the Reds are going to miss him big time in the lineup. Add that to a cluthch hitting Hernandez being out and I think the offense could be significantly worse after the all-star break. I don't have any solutions, just know these things would worry me a bit if I am Cincy.

I also believe our one big concern is the Bullpen ,Rhodes can't carry it himself .The bad part he doesn't need all the appearances that he is getting . I didn't mind the rumor of Marmol at all ,Herrera and Massett can't get the job done and COCO is done so I hope this is the area Jocketty addresses .

I also believe our one big concern is the Bullpen ,Rhodes can't carry it himself .The bad part he doesn't need all the appearances that he is getting . I didn't mind the rumor of Marmol at all ,Herrera and Massett can't get the job done and COCO is done so I hope this is the area Jocketty addresses .

These past three games with the Phillies have shown a weakness in the bullpen. I trust Jocketty will do something about it.

I think the biggest concern is they have quite a few guys who have been better than they were expected. Can those guys keep up the pace? I would have liked to trade for Lee. I don't think you can match up in the postseason when Cueto is your one and Arroyo is your two, but I wouldn't trade for any other "available" starter now. Hopefully Volquez gives them a big second half lift. Any time they match up 3, 4 , or 5 they have the advantage IMO.

My question is about the 3 OF's.

What are Gomes/Stubbs/Bruce's final numbers? Rolen/Phillips/Votto are the life lines, no moves will be made there.

Gomes has some value and has a good deal from an owners standpoint. I can see Walt moving him...