• George Mikan
    • Jerry West
    • Elgin Baylor
    • Wilt Chamberlain
    • Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    • Magic Johnson
    • Shaquille O'Neal
    • Kobe Bryant

That is a tough call. I went with Magic, ... but in a few years I might change my vote to Kobe. Magic absolutely redefined what PG was for me. One of the only players who proved that he could play any position on the floor if needed.

But you could make an argument for any of those players. Jabbar is the leading scorer in the history of the NBA, Miken was the game's first dominant big man, Wilt's numbers were staggering (on and off the floor), Kobe has 5 titles, etc.

But Magic Johnson (along with Larry Bird) saved the NBA from a league that was boring (except for a few stars like Dr. J) to a more exciting era of pro ball.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for Magic.

Must be nice to have a list of all those players to choose from lol.

Pretty impressive. Boston's aint't too shabby, but I didn't bother with that poll because I know the answer will be Russell, with perhaps a few Bird votes. I figured the Lakers poll would generate more variety.

Everyone always says Magic and just forgets about Wilt. He is the greatest Laker ever..... For now. :D

Wilt won 1 championship as a Laker and never had a scoring average higher than 21 PPG in his 4 full seasons with the Lakers. He averaged 27 in his other season but he only played 12 games. The Wilt of LA was no where near the Wilt that played for the Warriors or 76ers.

How exactly is he a better Laker than Magic or anyone else mentioned?

Wilt won 1 championship as a Laker and never had a scoring average higher than 21 PPG in his 4 full seasons with the Lakers. He averaged 27 in his other season but he only played 12 games. The Wilt of LA was no where near the Wilt that played for the Warriors or 76ers.

How exactly is he a better Laker than Magic or anyone else mentioned?

I made an edit after looking over things. :lol:

I made an edit after looking over things. :lol:

Gotcha. I love Wilt, but he's at best the 4th best Center in Lakers history any way you slice it. Kareem, O'Neal and Mikan all were better as Lakers IMO and if you look at the stats and accomplishments while they played with the team.:thumb:

For me, I'm torn.

Magic or Kobe, Magic or Kobe, Magic or Kobe.

While championships are not a singular focus for me, they definitely factor into the equation. Jerry West only having 1 championship tells me he isn't in the conversation with Magic and Kobe. If he had at least 2, preferably 3 or 4, there would definitely be a legitimate claim for The Logo, but only 1? Sorry, Jerry.

Kareem is easily one of the greatest players ever but when you factor in that he said, "I'm just here to make some money by hitting a few hook shots" BEFORE Magic Johnson came to LA and got Kareem to refocus his eyes on the prize then you know he can't be a greater Laker than Magic.

I'll make this short and sweet.....a week ago I picked Magic over Kobe. Today, I am torn. Magic had a better surrounding cast than Kobe ever had. However, Magic needed that surrounding cast to defeat other HOF laden teams to win championships. For now, I'll take Magic. This could change in a year or two.