• Magic Johnson
    • Shaquille O'Neal
    • Kobe Bryant

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I'm torn.

Magic or Kobe, Magic or Kobe, Magic or Kobe.

While championships are not a singular focus for me, they definitely factor into the equation. Jerry West only having 1 championship tells me he isn't in the conversation with Magic and Kobe. If he had at least 2, preferably 3 or 4, there would definitely be a legitimate claim for The Logo, but only 1? Sorry, Jerry.

Kareem is easily one of the greatest players ever but when you factor in that he said, "I'm just here to make some money by hitting a few hook shots" BEFORE Magic Johnson came to LA and got Kareem to refocus his eyes on the prize then you know he can't be a greater Laker than Magic.

I'll make this short and sweet.....a week ago I picked Magic over Kobe. Today, I am torn. Magic had a better surrounding cast than Kobe ever had. However, Magic needed that surrounding cast to defeat other HOF laden teams to win championships. For now, I'll take Magic. This could change in a year or two.

There is 3 possibly 4 HOFers on the Celtics team they just beat.

After looking into things a little deeper it's very clear, Wilt isn't even in the discussion. :thumb:

Wilt suffers from not having his career defined as a Laker. His best days were prior to being a Laker, but even the backside of Wilt's career was great. In his five seasons as a Laker, he averaged 17.7 pts, 19.2 reb. Not bad for a guy past his prime.

If you just asked who the best player on the list was, Wilt may very well be the guy. But, the greatest Laker seems a little different. I think you have to give more weight to what they accomplished as a Laker, and the impact they had, or legend they built among the fan base. Magic, Kobe and West all get some boost from me because they were/are Laker lifers.

After looking into things a little deeper it's very clear, Wilt isn't even in the discussion. :thumb:

How he has more votes than Kobe shows me people are voting for the greatest "player" not the greatest "Laker". Kobe is no worse than the second greatest Laker and to quote people from the MJ vs. Kobe debate......"it's not even close".:D

same here... Not sure Kobe would be my second either...

I have him tied with Kareem. I had a hard time deciding between Kobe, Kareem and West. If West had won more than one championship, fair or not, I may have put him at #2.

How he has more votes than Kobe shows me people are voting for the greatest "player" not the greatest "Laker". Kobe is no worse than the second greatest Laker and to quote people from the MJ vs. Kobe debate......"it's not even close".:D

I agree Kobe is at worst #2 right now on the list.

I find it curious that you take Elgin and West ahead of Kobe only because of the champioships. Kobe won 5 and Baylor didn't win any and West won 1. I think that leading a team to championships must be a major factor in defining greatness.

For many championships defines greatest. Not for me. I consider those two great even though Balyor did not win one and West only got one. Just think how great West was, the NBA logo is an image of him.

For many championships defines greatest. Not for me. I consider those two great even though Balyor did not win one and West only got one. Just think how great West was, the NBA logo is an image of him.

I guess I don't see how the rings you lead your team to are not a major consideration. Ok, West is the logo- is that what made him great? Kobe sells more jerseys than all the other players, is that what makes him great?

I never saw Jerry West play live so I guess my bias is towards the guys I saw play, but the rings are so one sided. I can't see the argument for anyone beside Kareem and Magic for greatest Laker.

To each his own, though. That is what makes this board great.

KG, Allen, Pierce, and Rondo is the possibly.

Not to get too far off subject, but Ray Allen is an interesting case. He has never been an all pro type player, just very good for 10+ years now. One of the best shooters in league history. Not sure he is Hall worthy though. Would not be in my book. Rondo has a long way to go. K.G. no doubt. Pierce more than likely.