Kentucky 2010--Is Recruiting Over??

StickerMann

You don't think Cal is assuming a couple of his freshman will be one and done? Harrellson will be gone, and Knight and Kanter are almost certainly one and done. That right there would leave us with 6 open scholarships for 2011. I don't think it's much of an issue.

I said that can be assumed. But it is not 100% fact that they will be gone. There are things called injuries, NBA lockout, and not playing as well as scouts originally expected you to. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to schollys.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said that can be assumed. But it is not 100% fact that they will be gone. There are things called injuries, NBA lockout, and not playing as well as scouts originally expected you to. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to schollys.

If worst came to worse and we needed an extra scholarship for a stud like Quincy Miller, Cal can easily take a player off of scholarship. He doesn't HAVE to give a scholarship to a player every year. Although it's not a very nice thing to do, it is possible.

We could be adding one more as soon as today...

Also, it's worth noting that the signing period ends tomorrow.

Who are you thinking?

And who is to say they don't want a degree. Considering a study came out and said 80% of professional athletes file for bankruptcy at least once in the life after sports.

Who are you thinking?

And who is to say they don't want a degree. Considering a study came out and said 80% of professional athletes file for bankruptcy at least once in the life after sports.

Which is exactly why players like Jodie Meeks are still taking classes at UK during the summer when they're done with their NBA seasons. Who says once they're in the NBA they can't take classes whether it be online or at a real college campus?

That is fine. Consider Kanter and Knight 100% gone according to you. No chance at all they are coming back, there will be plenty of scholarships to go around.

Almost certainly were my words. So yes, you can almost certainly consider them gone.

Assuming the report that Dodson comes back is true, that leaves us currently with 10 scholarship players for this upcoming season. Cal has previously stated that we will only have 10 or 11 on scholarship, because he is making room for next year's class, which I believe will have 5 very, very good players. If we sign one more for this year, that leaves us with two open schollies for next year. Add 1 for losing Harrellson. Add 2 for losing Knight & Kanter. That gives us 5 scholarships for next year (if the 11th scholarship is Jones, he'll likely be one-and-done, so we would have 6 available for the 2011 class).

Gilchrist & Teague will be two of those. We're in the mix for several others, namely Quincy Miller, Johnny O'Bryant, Amir Williams, and then perhaps Chandler & Wroten (and maybe others I'm not aware of).

I would only give out an 11th scholarship this year if it was for Jones. I'm willing to sacrifice this year to make room for next season's group.

We have 5 returning players and we've added 5 recruits.

That's only 10 scholarship players out of 13.

There's no way we are going to save save 3 scholarships for 2011, IMO.

One of those will be saved for Jones and Moultrie is 2011 anyways. If we land those two, we may not add another. If Jones chooses Washington, we will almost certainly target one other big for 2010.

Cal said on ESPNU that he likes to have only 10 scholarship players because he feels the others are waste of scholarships because they do not get playing time. Why use a scholarship just to use one?