Close........But no Rings? Whats the deal?

Can't say about everyone but Lone Oak appears to be on the cusp. They were swamped by a very good Lex Cath team about 3 years ago. Beefed up the schedule a little each year and last year were within a first down of defeating Boyle. Sometimes the margin is razor thin.

I feel more for the historical programs that have NEVER made it over the hump. Somerset comes to mind. They've had fine teams in the last 50 years but never seem to get over the goal to win it all.

Bullitt East had Bell Co. on the ropes in the 4A Finals a couple years ago. They should make it to the Region Finals almost every year with the side of the state their on in 4A. Corbin has had troubles getting over the hump to make it to the Finals against Newport Central Catholic. They made it in 2002 and got beat badly by Breathitt Co. They haven't won a State Championship since 1982 and have had plenty of talent to do so. The "Tradition" is there and always will be, it's just a matter of getting over the hump as the thread says. St. X and Trinity will always be there unless they play each other in the Semi-Finals. Simon Kenton had a story book run, but just couldn't get over the hump once they got there. Any other thoughts?

Lone Oak out West is a program on the rise as well.

Edited by Ram

Rockcastle in 2001 and 2002.

Lost to Boyle both times and Boyle probabaly had the best teams in the state overall those 2 years.

How about Bowling Green. They made it to the state title game three years in a row. They lost twice to Highlands and once to Covington Catholic in that three year span. I'm going strictly by memory, so if I'm wrong , please correct me.

Lets get in deep to why these teams keep coming in second...coaching? Confidence? School limitations? Money? lets hear some opinions.

Who knows ? Maybe they are unlucky . I'm sure BG didn't feel lucky playing Highlands and Cov-Cath in the finals back then. :confused:

Rockcastle in 2001 and 2002.

Lost to Boyle both times and Boyle probabaly had the best teams in the state overall those 2 years.

Boyle had Mr. football and several (many) D1 players and an NFL player. We were out talented big time. Boyle could have beat any team in the state those 2 years.