What Irks You Most About UK Haters?

BleedBlue12

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that Calipari runs a loose program, and rival fans refer to that as cheating or bending the rules.

A tighter-run program saves him the UMass situation, in my opinion.

By the same token, a tighter-run program also means a lot of the talent that has flocked to him over the years goes elsewhere.

A response, but not an answer!

It's been 15 years since Cal did nothing wrong at UMASS yet the everyday you can find people like you who make statements with implications or outright statements that he cheated with no details or evidence to back it up because no such details exist.

That's why the consequences were only vacated wins for games in which an ineligible player was used and nothing further.It's not because the NCAA is afraid to issue punishments with teeth to institutions in mid-major conferences.The university and it's employees, including Cal simply were not at fault.

Marcus Camby went back home to Connecticut during the summer between his soph and jr. years at UMASS and took approximately $10,000 from agents over the course of a couple of months promising he would let them represent him when he declared for the NBA draft.Then he came back to UMASS having already blown his eligibilty unbeknownst to anyone including CAL. He aws not doning anything obvious like riding around in a new Escalade that could sent up a red flag. Mean while off in Conn. the agent kept working on Cambys family. The following season UMASS gets to the final 4, Cal gets one of the offers ever at the time from the Nets and Camby declares for the NBA draft.He then decides that he does not want to keep his promise with the agent he took money from because they want too large of share of his contract so he signs with another agent. The agent he took monet from begins to black mail him and threaten his family so Camby goes to the police for help (that's how the NCAA finds out he took money and lost his eligibility)The stae of Conn. brings up extortion charges against the agent which carries a jail sentence and if they would'nt have given him a plea bargin if he had any information to use to bring UMASS down your out of your mind. Camby then repaid the university the money it lost due to vacted wins on his own. So if you are waiting for the other shoe to drop on UK don't hold your breath Cal has done absolutly nothing wrong and now that he is at UK he does not even have to stretch the rules let alone break them.He is going to be an angel at UK because the microscope is on him and he has so many advantages he can afford to be perfectly clean.

By the way Steve Fisher had 2 final fours vacated. He also had an actual direct role in the violations which is why unlike UMASS, Michigan was put on probation, barred from post season play and had to take down the final 4 banners. UMASS still hangs it's final 4 banner. So now you know the rest of the story but most people are just haters and prefer to believe he cheated without knowing a single thing about what actually happened at UMASS under coach Cal's watch.

It's been 15 years since Cal did nothing wrong at UMASS yet the everyday you can find people like you who make statements with implications or outright statements that he cheated with no details or evidence to back it up because no such details exist.

That's why the consequences were only vacated wins for games in which an ineligible player was used and nothing further.It's not because the NCAA is afraid to issue punishments with teeth to institutions in mid-major conferences.The university and it's employees, including Cal simply were not at fault.

Marcus Camby went back home to Connecticut during the summer between his soph and jr. years at UMASS and took approximately $10,000 from agents over the course of a couple of months promising he would let them represent him when he declared for the NBA draft.Then he came back to UMASS having already blown his eligibilty unbeknownst to anyone including CAL. He aws not doning anything obvious like riding around in a new Escalade that could sent up a red flag. Mean while off in Conn. the agent kept working on Cambys family. The following season UMASS gets to the final 4, Cal gets one of the offers ever at the time from the Nets and Camby declares for the NBA draft.He then decides that he does not want to keep his promise with the agent he took money from because they want too large of share of his contract so he signs with another agent. The agent he took monet from begins to black mail him and threaten his family so Camby goes to the police for help (that's how the NCAA finds out he took money and lost his eligibility)The stae of Conn. brings up extortion charges against the agent which carries a jail sentence and if they would'nt have given him a plea bargin if he had any information to use to bring UMASS down your out of your mind. Camby then repaid the university the money it lost due to vacted wins on his own. So if you are waiting for the other shoe to drop on UK don't hold your breath Cal has done absolutly nothing wrong and now that he is at UK he does not even have to stretch the rules let alone break them.He is going to be an angel at UK because the microscope is on him and he has so many advantages he can afford to be perfectly clean.

By the way Steve Fisher had 2 final fours vacated. He also had an actual direct role in the violations which is why unlike UMASS, Michigan was put on probation, barred from post season play and had to take down the final 4 banners. UMASS still hangs it's final 4 banner. So now you know the rest of the story but most people are just haters and prefer to believe he cheated without knowing a single thing about what actually happened at UMASS under coach Cal's watch.

I appreciate the update! Fair enough. I suppose then the only thing to throw at Cal is recruiting players ignorant of the NCAA rules, as every university hands these out to its "student athletes" annually as part of their normal process. I am not a Cal hater. I think he is a great recruiter, but only a good in game coach. I do think some level of responsibility still has to be laid at Cal's feet. As for UK-you make good points-I just happen to disagree, as I believe it is hard for a Tiger to change his stripes. I think there will be trouble with the NCAA at some point and Cal may not get implicated, but I do forsee trouble.

And the innocence continued at Memphis......................??

With Coach Cal, yes it did.

Rose was OK'ed by the NCAA Clearinghouse to play ball. Cal played him, just like K, Roy, Self, or any coach in the nation would have done, including John Wooden if he were still coaching. If anything the NCAA should sanction itself for being stupid and inept.

And Memphis should have gotten their Final Four and their wins back. That was as unfair of a ruling as has ever been imposed.

Edited by The Professor

That's all fine and dandy, but the fact still remains his programs have twice been penalized with FF appearances stripped, while no violations ever befell a Wooden UCLA team. That makes it at least a little bit hypocritical to try so hard to defend Calipari's past while at the same time belittling Wooden's teams because of the alleged Gilbert misdeeds, from which no penalties ever were assessed.

Because the NCAA didn't really try very hard. The violations were there. Sam Gilbert was there. But in those days the NCAA didn't investigate and enforce like they do today. That's the only thing that saves Wooden's legacy...an NCAA that looked the other way.

Because the NCAA didn't really try very hard. The violations were there. Sam Giblert was there. But in those days the NCAA didn't investigate and enforce like they do today. That's the only thing that saves Wooden's legacy...an NCAA that looked the other way.

That begs a whole 'nuther question: When did they start trying hard?

I think with the microscope they now use I would say after 1980, when the NCAA tournament and ESPN really pushed college basketball to another level. That's just an opinion though.

With that in mind, how tainted is the 1978 crown? By all accounts from what we read after the hammer dropped on UK in the late-'80s, the stuff they got busted on had been business as usual for a long, long time. (Which, of course, also casts a spectre of hypocrisy over Wildcat fans who discount Wooden/UCLA.)