Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Don Weber ICN-6 Has Taped His Last Sports Page Show

Featured Replies

Our worse fears realized.

 

Northern Kentucky has now officially lost our last devoted/dedicated high school/college TV sports show.

 

Weber will remain with ICN-6 but in a different capacity other that that which we have been familiar since the early 80's.

 

First of all, THANKS to Don Weber and his tireless efforts on behalf of high school sports and the thousands of players, coaches, and schools who have benefitted from the postive exposure provided lo these many years. It is greatly appreciated.

 

Secondly, this is yet another death nell of the popularity of our high school/local college sports exposure. When you see the empty gyms at high school games and wonder how we ever got to this point, I think you need look no further than the demise of The Kentucky Post and the full page-a-day sports coverage that we received, and now the demise of ICN-6 and Don Weber's familiar year round slant on our high school sports events and the persons and players who contest them.

 

It is becoming quite obvious that unless your sport/special interest generates positive revenue to these companies, they are going to no longer exist.

 

The future of Northern Kentucky sports news reporting is going to be the limited hard copy exposure for the teams in the spotlight provided by Ryan Ernst and The Enquirer, as well as several sports blogs, and chat boards out there.

 

The bottom line is that this is a dark day for high school sports in Greater Cincinnati, and in particularly Northern Kentucky.

 

Too bad!!! :cry:

Hate to hear this, Don has been part of the fabric of NKY HS sports. He will be missed.

Don is a HOFer.

 

I don't agree , Mustang, that the the demise of the Post has anything to do with declining interest in high school sports . I just finished reading a full-page of coverage of NKY sports in the Enquirer. Too many entertainment options and a changing culture especially in rapidly-growing areas has led to a lack of "community."

 

In regards to Don, he's simply a product of the times. Heck, BGP may have contributed to his demise. Why wait for a 30-minute broadcast when you can just read about it on here and discuss it with others?

 

Things change. ICN6 did this as a result of economics. If more of us watched he'd still be there.

  • Author
Don is a HOFer.

 

I don't agree , Mustang, that the the demise of the Post has anything to do with declining interest in high school sports . I just finished reading a full-page of coverage of NKY sports in the Enquirer. Too many entertainment options and a changing culture especially in rapidly-growing areas has led to a lack of "community."

 

In regards to Don, he's simply a product of the times. Heck, BGP may have contributed to his demise. Why wait for a 30-minute broadcast when you can just read about it on here and discuss it with others?

 

Things change. ICN6 did this as a result of economics. If more of us watched he'd still be there.

I somewhat agree.

 

While the demise of the Post may not be directly responisble, it certainly is a major contributing factor.

 

It is indeed a new era. Persons who come to BGP for their news have an interest in the outcomes of those games/events. With the Post it was out in front of you whether you were a rabid fan or a casual observer.

 

In this case, I don't think that no news is good news.

Don is a HOFer.

 

I don't agree , Mustang, that the the demise of the Post has anything to do with declining interest in high school sports . I just finished reading a full-page of coverage of NKY sports in the Enquirer. Too many entertainment options and a changing culture especially in rapidly-growing areas has led to a lack of "community."

 

In regards to Don, he's simply a product of the times. Heck, BGP may have contributed to his demise. Why wait for a 30-minute broadcast when you can just read about it on here and discuss it with others?

 

Things change. ICN6 did this as a result of economics. If more of us watched he'd still be there.

 

 

Couldn't agree more Clyde. The Post was a result of what a lot of newspapers are finding nowdays...people just aren't reading them the way they used to 20 years (or more) ago. Nowdays with 24-hour cable news networks and the internet, you simply don't have to wait to get your news. Shoot, you can even get it on your cell phone now!

 

As to Don's show, I think Clyde is exactly right. BGP and other boards like it, again, mean you don't have to wait to get all the information you're looking for. Plus, with the economy the way it is, I'm sure sponsorship for just about any local programming is a lot harder to find.

 

It doesn't mean it wasn't a good program...just a victim of the circumstances.

Sorry to see this happen. Don is a great person and did a fabulous job covering high school sports in N. KY. His work will be greatly missed!

Couldn't agree more Clyde. The Post was a result of what a lot of newspapers are finding nowdays...people just aren't reading them the way they used to 20 years (or more) ago. Nowdays with 24-hour cable news networks and the internet, you simply don't have to wait to get your news. Shoot, you can even get it on your cell phone now!

 

As to Don's show, I think Clyde is exactly right. BGP and other boards like it, again, mean you don't have to wait to get all the information you're looking for. Plus, with the economy the way it is, I'm sure sponsorship for just about any local programming is a lot harder to find.

 

It doesn't mean it wasn't a good program...just a victim of the circumstances.

 

You must not have any children playing high school sports. I personally switched from Dish TV back to Insight just to watch Don and his coverage of HIgh School sports. He was very devoted to covering athletics for all ages. He would travel the state just to get highlights during football playoffs to be back in the studio the same night to start editing so people that did not travel to those far away locations had a chance to see their child, make a block, a saving tackle on special teams, a great offensive play or just span the crowd so Little Johnny could see himself on TV within a very resonable time frame, sometimes the same night.

 

It will be interesting to see how this effects customer loyality in this area. Some considering the shows of Don and Charlie Coleman as rentention tools, if that is the case and they kept people watching their shows sounds as if it is not broke don't fix it?? With both of these shows only being an half-hour long if find it hard to believe they were costing the station that much.

 

As for Don he is a very class act, not to mention a very great person that will be very muched missed in this community. Good luck Don and I hope the ICN decision makers here some of the outcry for your comeback, but if not I am sure that they will see that via customers going back to Dish, Direct TV's provider. Time will only tell.

 

Good luck Don you will be missed!!:madman:

Don is a good guy and this is a shame. Business is business, and IMHO this is bad business by Insight. They are probably positioning themselves to be sold.

You must not have any children playing high school sports. I personally switched from Dish TV back to Insight just to watch Don and his coverage of HIgh School sports. He was very devoted to covering athletics for all ages. He would travel the state just to get highlights during football playoffs to be back in the studio the same night to start editing so people that did not travel to those far away locations had a chance to see their child, make a block, a saving tackle on special teams, a great offensive play or just span the crowd so Little Johnny could see himself on TV within a very resonable time frame, sometimes the same night.

 

It will be interesting to see how this effects customer loyality in this area. Some considering the shows of Don and Charlie Coleman as rentention tools, if that is the case and they kept people watching their shows sounds as if it is not broke don't fix it?? With both of these shows only being an half-hour long if find it hard to believe they were costing the station that much.

 

As for Don he is a very class act, not to mention a very great person that will be very muched missed in this community. Good luck Don and I hope the ICN decision makers here some of the outcry for your comeback, but if not I am sure that they will see that via customers going back to Dish, Direct TV's provider. Time will only tell.

 

Good luck Don you will be missed!!:madman:

 

Hey, I didn't say that it was right. I just said I could understand how it could happen. Has nothing to do whether the kids were "worthy" or not, or whether Don is a good guy or not.

Don Weber is a legend! I will really miss catching this show. I always enjoyed the preview shows and the (sometimes painful!) interviews with the players and coaches.

I wonder how much thought and research was really done on this move. Why not make it part of a sport's package selection?

 

I know I for one would gladly have paid an additional $10 per month to keep Sports Page and NKY Legends. I am all for the market determining what stays and goes. I however, believe this one was very short sighted.

 

I wonder if the TBNK folks will consider expanding their coverage to help fill the void.

 

I can't imagine what "new" programming they could possibly add that will generate a larger audience. I guess we shall see.

 

Thanks to all at ICN6 it is a very sad day for NKY!

To be honest, I'll miss Coleman's Legends show more than the highlights.

To be honest, I'll miss Coleman's Legends show more than the highlights.

 

Not me. Sports Legends was often boring. Don may not be the most polished, but unless you knew the Bellevue player :p Charlie was promoting it was tough to watch the whole half hour. I like Don's style and coverage of the games.

To be honest, I'll miss Coleman's Legends show more than the highlights.

 

Not me. I enjoyed the sports Legends no doubt about it. But the Friday night highlights of the games, were something I either watched or Taped every week. The coverage in the paper has dropped way off, and the "Network" tv versions are also very hit and miss. It was a great way of keeping up with NKY Football and Basketball for the teams I normally don't follow closely.

 

I will definitely miss it.

I wonder if the TBNK folks will consider expanding their coverage to help fill the void.

 

 

We are looking into it...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.