February 16, 201016 yr What's that have to do with Peyton? Quite sure they are one of, if not the premiere franchise in the NFL right now. I tend to think they'll win a couple of games next season. My bad, I thought you were talking about Superbowls. No doubt, they'll be great in the regular season, but we all know what happens in the post season.
February 16, 201016 yr Superbowls??? I've missed that memo somewhere. I believed they lost this years. I said they'd likely bounce back. I think they have a decent chance at winning the Super Bowl. I'd like to have won another one, but there's no point in reveling in negativity. I did say Brady wasn't very special this year, but he's still a very good quarterback, even if he hasn't won a Super Bowl in a few years. I appreciate the fact the Colts have been in the mix almost every year.
February 16, 201016 yr I said they'd likely bounce back. I think they have a decent chance at winning the Super Bowl. I'd like to have won another one, but there's no point in reveling in negativity. I did say Brady wasn't very special this year, but he's still a very good quarterback, even if he hasn't won a Super Bowl in a few years. I appreciate the fact the Colts have been in the mix almost every year. :deadhorse: That poor horse has been dead for quite some time now and people continue to torture it.
February 16, 201016 yr So now Peyton is horrible? Hahah...what's it say about the league that a Super Bowl Champion, and a league record 4 time MVP is horrible. So its a joke when someone says that about Peyton but its okay for you to say that a 3 Time Superbowl Champion couldn't even make the playoffs with this year's Colts team? C'mon now, you surely are better than that. And for the record, I know you decided to back off from Brady wouldn't make the playoffs to not 100% sure that he'd make it. Either way, you're wrong. I'm not saying at all that Brady is better, just that there isn't enough of a drop off from Manning to Brady that the Colts wouldn't make the playoffs with either as the starter. We're not talking Dilfer vs. Manning. We're talking one of the best EVER in Brady vs. POSSIBLY the best ever in Manning......there isn't as big a drop off as you wanted to portray. Actually, YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION.........DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT PEYTON IS SO SUPERIOR TO BRADY THAT BRADY WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS WITH THE COLTS???? This "I'm not 100%" stuff doesn't cut it.......You were on record as saying that the Colts with Tom Brady at quarterback likely wouldn't have made the playoffs......Do you really believe that or were you just touting Peyton? It's okay.....we already know the answer.....
February 16, 201016 yr So its a joke when someone says that about Peyton but its okay for you to say that a 3 Time Superbowl Champion couldn't even make the playoffs with this year's Colts team? C'mon now, you surely are better than that. And for the record, I know you decided to back off from Brady wouldn't make the playoffs to not 100% sure that he'd make it. Either way, you're wrong. I'm not saying at all that Brady is better, just that there isn't enough of a drop off from Manning to Brady that the Colts wouldn't make the playoffs with either as the starter. We're not talking Dilfer vs. Manning. We're talking one of the best EVER in Brady vs. POSSIBLY the best ever in Manning......there isn't as big a drop off as you wanted to portray. Actually, YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION.........DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT PEYTON IS SO SUPERIOR TO BRADY THAT BRADY WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS WITH THE COLTS???? This "I'm not 100%" stuff doesn't cut it.......You were on record as saying that the Colts with Tom Brady at quarterback likely wouldn't have made the playoffs......Do you really believe that or were you just touting Peyton? It's okay.....we already know the answer..... :thumb:
February 16, 201016 yr Author Because of No. 18 they are no longer a regional fad. You're letting your dislike of Peyton cloudy reality. They are one of the biggest, if not the biggest, draw for the television networks nationally. I doubt anyone has more prime time games the past seven or eight years. I found this on Yahoo sports: Dallas most popular NFL team, Jags least By Joe Zedalis The Dallas Cowboys may be a few years from their last Super Bowl, but they are the favorite football team among adults who follow professional football, rising one spot since last year. Since this survey began in 1998, the Cowboys have always been in one of the top four positions, usually in the top two. The Indianapolis Colts have continued their steady rise in the rankings and move up one spot, from No. 3 last year to No 2 this year. In 1999, the Colts were tied for No. 27 and have moved up each year since. Rounding out the top five are the Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 3, dropping from No. 1 last year), the Green Bay Packers (remaining at No. 4) and the Chicago Bears (No. 5, moving up one spot). Jacksonville was the least popular NFL franchise for the third straight year. But the fact remains that once Peyton leaves Indianapolis they go back to being just as irrelevant on a national scale as the Bengals or Jaguars. And I'd like to know where this guy gets his research, because to suggest the Colts are more popular than the Steelers is just crazy talk. Colts fans don't fill up opposing teams' stadiums for road games.
February 16, 201016 yr That may be true, but that's not what you said earlier. They are clearly not a regional team and haven't been for a decade. It sounds like you are giving Peyton as much credit as some of us, to single-handedly lift a franchise to elite status is pretty amazing.
February 16, 201016 yr That may be true, but that's not what you said earlier. They are clearly not a regional team and haven't been for a decade. It sounds like you are giving Peyton as much credit as some of us, to single-handedly lift a franchise to elite status is pretty amazing. Colts becoming an annual threat for the title also had alot to do with Tony Dungy and his staff. Plus guys like Freeney, Wayne, Clark, Saturday, etc. Peyton is the key piece, but you act like no one else on the Colts is even worthy of being in the NFL sometimes man.
February 16, 201016 yr Show me where I ever said that. I was referring to what Jim Schue said about the Colts dropping back to a regional team when Peyton leaves. I was a Colts fan for 25 years before Peyton got there and will continue to be a Colts fan long after he retires.
February 16, 201016 yr Show me where I ever said that. I was referring to what Jim Schue said about the Colts dropping back to a regional team when Peyton leaves. I was a Colts fan for 25 years before Peyton got there and will continue to be a Colts fan long after he retires. I don't remember if you said it or if someone else did, but someone stated that the Colts wouldn't even make the playoffs with any other QB which is quite laughable and most likely incorrect.
February 18, 201016 yr So its a joke when someone says that about Peyton but its okay for you to say that a 3 Time Superbowl Champion couldn't even make the playoffs with this year's Colts team? C'mon now, you surely are better than that. And for the record, I know you decided to back off from Brady wouldn't make the playoffs to not 100% sure that he'd make it. Either way, you're wrong. I'm not saying at all that Brady is better, just that there isn't enough of a drop off from Manning to Brady that the Colts wouldn't make the playoffs with either as the starter. We're not talking Dilfer vs. Manning. We're talking one of the best EVER in Brady vs. POSSIBLY the best ever in Manning......there isn't as big a drop off as you wanted to portray. Actually, YOU NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION.........DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT PEYTON IS SO SUPERIOR TO BRADY THAT BRADY WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS WITH THE COLTS???? This "I'm not 100%" stuff doesn't cut it.......You were on record as saying that the Colts with Tom Brady at quarterback likely wouldn't have made the playoffs......Do you really believe that or were you just touting Peyton? It's okay.....we already know the answer..... Ahh...maybe they would've made the playoffs, but I am leaning towards no, mainly due to the fact that Brady is a playmaker, he makes things happen, the Colts system isn't that at all, it is a machine that needs all of its parts going in order for it to work. Some of Brady's best plays were busted from the start, and he made something happen.
February 18, 201016 yr Author That may be true, but that's not what you said earlier. They are clearly not a regional team and haven't been for a decade. It sounds like you are giving Peyton as much credit as some of us, to single-handedly lift a franchise to elite status is pretty amazing. I'll grant that he's a great player. I never disputed that. But the fact still remains that the Colts are only marketable because of him, and once he's gone -- unless another marquee QB takes his place right away -- they go back to being relative nobodies. And, I think you're being generous with your use of "decade," as I doubt you can go too many places outside of Indiana and Kentucky and find "Colts Bars" the way you can find Steelers Bars in every city in the US of 50,000 people or more. Sure, you'll see your fair share of No. 18 jerseys all over the country, but those folks are not Colts fans as much as they are Manning fans.
February 18, 201016 yr I agree with most of that. I'm just pointing out you said they were a regional fad now, which isn't the case. I don't know much about sports bars. My point is they are a very popular team because of their success and you can see that with all the national television games. As an Orioles' fan, I can assure you that you aren't on national television when you lose a lot. They have been one of the top teams in the league since 1999 when they went from 3-13 to 13-3, or something along those lines. They did have one losing season, which led to Mora's firing but have been amazingly consistent since then.
February 18, 201016 yr Get this straight, Brady and the Pats were the under dog story for exactly one season. I wouldn't call them an underdog story. Most of the experts viewed them as a top team. But, many of those same experts felt like the Colts were better than them. Nobody was shocked that New England beat them, but there were a lot of people who viewed New England as an underdog when they played Indy in the '03 and '04 post-seasons. Adding to that, Manning failed miserably in those games. In the 2003 post-season, he threw a TD and 4 picks in a 24-14 loss (QB Rating = 35.5). In the 2004 post-season, he threw 1 pick in a 20-3 loss (QB Rating = 69.3). In both of those seasons, Indy played New England in the regular season and the playoffs. In regular season play, they averaged 29 ppg. In the playoffs, less than 10. Even in that situation, people insisted on blaming the Colts defense for the losses. Sorry, but when you're team is built around offense, and more specifically the QB, you cannot blame the defense when you produce 14 points and 3 points respectively.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.