February 3, 201016 yr There has always been a lot of debate about Patterson's ability to play on the next level. Here is a post-game quote from John Calipari, regarding Patterson: On what he expects from Patrick Patterson… “I want him to go after balls. I want him to rebound with two hands. I want him to dive for loose balls and don't shy away. I want him to get into the post and attack the basket. I want him to get fouled and make free throws. I want him to shoot threes when he is wide open. I want him to run the floor and block shots. I want him to be the athlete that he is. I want him to demand the ball, even from the huddle. Part of the reason I am working with him is because I want him to know how much confidence I have in him. Joe Dumars said “of all the players that returned to college he has helped himself the most.” I am proud of that. I am telling him to take that to another level. There is nothing here holding him back. He helped himself today by the way he played. He is still 30 percent better than the way he played today in my opinion. Maybe I am asking a lot but I ask a lot from all my guys.” As I stated in the UK / Ole Miss game thread, I think Patterson helped his stock again last night. The scouts took notice when he knocked down the 3 pointer and then demanded the ball down low on the subsequent possession. I think he scored & got fouled. Patterson is a great kid. He's a little undersized, but he has proven that he can knock down the jump shot. He'll be a very, very good role player in the NBA.
February 3, 201016 yr If Jason Maxiell can be a consistant role player in the NBA, then I would think that Patrick Patterson can as well. He's got the game, its just can he elevate it?
February 3, 201016 yr The single thing that has helped Patterson the most is the outside shot which was always the question with him. Not having to be the low post presence that BCG wanted him to be has freed him up, but he is still learning from Cal and think in the next few weeks he will really start to shine more. As Wall and Cousins draw more attention (as they are), Patterson will need to step up even further. I believe he will answer the bell!
February 3, 201016 yr Author :thumb: Im starting to get the feel we might have him for all 4 years now. Why? Patterson's knock was that he was undersized and had not shown the ability to knock down the outside shot. Now that he's developed an outside shot, what else does he have to prove? Although his numbers aren't great, I think his stock is as high as it'll ever be. With Patterson's history of injuries, I think it's in his best interest to make the jump if he remains healthy throughout the season.
February 3, 201016 yr Why? Patterson's knock was that he was undersized and had not shown the ability to knock down the outside shot. Now that he's developed an outside shot, what else does he have to prove? Although his numbers aren't great, I think his stock is as high as it'll ever be. With Patterson's history of injuries, I think it's in his best interest to make the jump if he remains healthy throughout the season. I agree...and just the fact that he came back this year and the type of person he seems to be off the court, he will rank highly as one of my all time fave UK players.
February 3, 201016 yr I want him to be the athlete that he is. I want him to demand the ball, even from the huddle. Part of the reason I am working with him is because I want him to know how much confidence I have in him. Joe Dumars said “of all the players that returned to college he has helped himself the most.” I am proud of that. I am telling him to take that to another level. There is nothing here holding him back. He helped himself today by the way he played. He is still 30 percent better than the way he played today in my opinion. Maybe I am asking a lot but I ask a lot from all my guys.” That says a lot that Dumars thinks he has helped himself that much.
February 3, 201016 yr Why? Patterson's knock was that he was undersized and had not shown the ability to knock down the outside shot. Now that he's developed an outside shot, what else does he have to prove? Although his numbers aren't great, I think his stock is as high as it'll ever be. With Patterson's history of injuries, I think it's in his best interest to make the jump if he remains healthy throughout the season. I couldn't agree more. It is certainly in his best interest to go to the NBA. He tested the waters last year, found out what he needed to work and focus on. He did that, and will continue to the rest of the season and he should be rewarded for his hardwork on the court, off the court, and in the classroom.
February 3, 201016 yr I don't think he will come back, and I don't think he should come back. He can't score off the dribble though. Say they get beat in the Final 4 and he wants a title, a shot at the scoring record, and to work on scoring off the dribble he might think about it. I still think he would leave though.
February 3, 201016 yr I think Patterson had one of his best games of the season versus Ole Miss. He put it all on display - hit the three, aggressive rebounding, strong finish at the basket, excellent defense, hustle plays, continued smart play on the floor. The thing he has done this year that has really elevated his stock is shooting. He looks really good shooting the three and that added shooting range is big in the NBA. Patterson has been in the 8-12 range all year in the mock drafts and I don't see him moving much off of that. The one factor that is going to have a big impact on all the guys who may turn pro is the NBA contract negotiations. The owners are talking lockout. There is a chance there may not even be NBA basketball next fall. There is a big push from the owners to cut player salaries. I am not sure how this affects this year's draft from the salary side but ... watch the NBA contract negotiations closely. There is a slight chance all these guys may be back next year if it gets ugly in the NBA.
February 3, 201016 yr I guess I was watching a different game, but Patterson was pretty much non-existent until the last part of the game. Don't get me wrong, I'll think he'll be a good role player in the NBA, but the last few games, he's been more like Jane instead of Tarzan. Hopefully he take what he did the last bit of the Ole Miss game and build on it. I think he'll be just fine. Everybody goes through their slumps in a season, and I'd much rather have Patterson going through his now instead of March. Wow, this was a long post.
February 3, 201016 yr Author I guess I was watching a different game, but Patterson was pretty much non-existent until the last part of the game. Don't get me wrong, I'll think he'll be a good role player in the NBA, but the last few games, he's been more like Jane instead of Tarzan. Hopefully he take what he did the last bit of the Ole Miss game and build on it. I think he'll be just fine. Everybody goes through their slumps in a season, and I'd much rather have Patterson going through his now instead of March. Wow, this was a long post. I think you were watching a different game. Although Patterson didn't set the stat sheet ablaze, he was very active & involved with a lot of plays. He had some HUGE rebounds where he went up over top of a few Ole Miss players & came down with the ball. He went after loose balls, and he knocked down a few jumpers. A very solid all-around performance by #54 last night.
February 3, 201016 yr I think you were watching a different game. Although Patterson didn't set the stat sheet ablaze, he was very active & involved with a lot of plays. He had some HUGE rebounds where he went up over top of a few Ole Miss players & came down with the ball. He went after loose balls, and he knocked down a few jumpers. A very solid all-around performance by #54 last night. He needs to be more involved on the offensive end, imo. I guess at times, he doesn't really need to be, but I fear that won't last all season.
February 3, 201016 yr ^ Patterson is also a team first guy. He is a lot more interested sometimes in letting others get their points before he even attempts to get any of his. He is sometimes a hindrance because he is not the least bit selfish. He should be taking 15 shots a game but recently has come nowhere near that.
February 3, 201016 yr ^ Patterson is also a team first guy. He is a lot more interested sometimes in letting others get their points before he even attempts to get any of his. He is sometimes a hindrance because he is not the least bit selfish. He should be taking 15 shots a game but recently has come nowhere near that. That's his main problem imo, his unselfishness. It's almost as if he'd rather take a step back then be the main guy, but he's too good for that on this level.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.