Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

One and done...the solution!

Featured Replies

Everyone knows that one and dones are ruining the college game. What is split is that many people believe (myself included) that it is stupid to prohibit them from entering the draft right out of high school. My remedy is to take baseball's system (yes, baseball) and tweak it.

 

In baseball, unless I'm completely mistaken, you do not have to declare for the draft. If you are drafted, you are given the opportunity to either sign, or attend college. If you enter a college, you are not eligible again until after your junior year.

 

This is perfect for basketball. One of the major drawbacks for kids who DECLARE for the draft, is that if they do not get drafted, they are out of luck. W/out a minor league system similar to baseball, NBA teams only have to concern themselves w/ filling their rosters, so the league has a 2 round draft. It's on to a life of hoping to catch on w/ a European team or NBDL team. A simple solution to this injustice is to have them accept the college scholarship and stay for 3 years. This lends continuity to basketball programs.

Edited by mcpapa
R8

I've seen this suggested before, and I'm all for it. No need to ban the top .0001% from going straight to the NBA, but make the others stick around for a bit.

How about letting kids try out for NBA teams and if they don't make it then still be eligible to sign on with a college, with an agreement that they will not be eligible for the NBA again until after their junior year.

I like the idea, but I doubt the NBA would go for it. This rule was put in place for their purposes. Not for Colleges or the players.

I like the idea, but I doubt the NBA would go for it. This rule was put in place for their purposes. Not for Colleges or the players.

:thumb:

JUCOs would love it if the baseball approach was implemented. No way a kid who wants to go pro right out of high school waits 3 years playing D1 ball. He'll instead go JUCO (assuming we use the baseball rules for JUCO) and go after one year if possible.

JUCOs would love it if the baseball approach was implemented. No way a kid who wants to go pro right out of high school waits 3 years playing D1 ball. He'll instead go JUCO (assuming we use the baseball rules for JUCO) and go after one year if possible.

Much more likely to go to Europe and get paid...

Much more likely to go to Europe and get paid...

 

True. Either way, its going to keep the really good players out of D1 in many cases.

I don't think one-and-dones are ruining college basketball. Its just different.

 

The idea makes sense. I wouldn't mind it a bit.

I honestly don't mind the one and done players either. Forces the coaches to work a lot hard on recruiting, as well as getting their players to gel together.

  • Author
Much more likely to go to Europe and get paid...

 

This is a good possibility. We'll get a real good feel for this soon as more and more players do it.

I like the idea, but I doubt the NBA would go for it. This rule was put in place for their purposes. Not for Colleges or the players.

 

Exactly. NCAA doesn't have much of a say in this and there is no way the NBA would go for your suggestion. That makes absolutely no sense for them from a business standpoint. In that scenario, you have for example John Wall being taken by the Clippers last year and him saying, nah, I'd rather go to college than play there. And then, someone explains he could go JUCO and be eligible again next year. Much worse situation IMO.

This is a good possibility. We'll get a real good feel for this soon as more and more players do it.

 

I think there will be a few more going that route.

I think there will be a few more going that route.

The success Brandon Jennings is having will make it a much more attractive option down the road...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.