Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Eastern Kentucky University

Featured Replies

I will be attending EKU this Fall as a Freshman and I was wondering if any of the you could enlighten me on anything you know about the campus. I have been to several athletic events and tours and absolutely love it. Anything you have to say about the school I would love to hear.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I I didn't attend EKU, but was in Richmond on Thursday nights quite frequently. From what I understand, downtown Richmond is not "downtown Richmond" anymore.

Best of luck to you!

Nice fast food near the dorms :D All I remember from my two visits to Richmond.

I go to EKU, what do you want to know specifically?

Nice fast food near the dorms :D All I remember from my two visits to Richmond.

 

:lol::lol:

  • Author
I go to EKU, what do you want to know specifically?

 

Anything and everything you wouldnt mind taking the time to tell. Favorite professors, good restaraunts etc. What year are you?

  • Author

If you would rather you can PM me.

I went to EKU in early/mid 80's and loved it. Really haven't been down there in past 10 years or so. We visited there this week with my son and nephew (both seniors) and I was stunned. This was not the EKU I remember attending! It has grown so much - so many new buildings and facilities. The campus is huge now - not UK huge, but it's pretty big. Their fitness facility is first rate. The dining hall is beyond first rate. The expansion of the law enforcement college is impressive. The Business and Technology Building is very nice and they are adding a second (huge) building. The campus is very pretty - lots of green space and trees. The dorms are more than adequate - a few need some updating and they are in the process of doing so, but none would qualify as being "nasty." The football stadium is very nice and the turf field looks incredible. The baseball field is also turf now (infield; OF is still grass). The basketball arena is okay. Not stunning, but decent-sized and well-maintained. They have an outstanding Honors Program. The town of Richmond has grown so much. There used to be nothing - and I mean nothing - west of Exit 87. Now they have a business section that is similar to Crestview Towne Center. Lots of businesses/shops on the Bypass beyond the football stadium and Patty Hall Hospital now also. Honestly, there was nothing not to be impressed about the school.

 

Downtown doesn't seem to have quite the same "options" that were available as when I went, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. My son doesn't need to spend near the time or money I did at the Family Dog, Sutters Mill, and First Street. :sssh:

I go to EKU, what do you want to know specifically?

 

Do me a favor and rank what you see as the top 4 or 5 dorms.

 

We saw Clay (renovated) and were impressed, but apparently that and Combs (also renovated) are only for upperclassmen. Walters is currently being renovated and should be done for Fall 2010, but they haven't decided how it will be used - it was previously an all-girls dorm. We saw Martin and it was a typical, decent college dorm room. He also saw Commonwealth (I didn't go up for that one) and seemed reasonably impressed. We did not visit Telford, which I understand has the suite-style concept that so impressed him at UL. What do you know about Palmer? We didn't go in that one. I stayed there as a sophomore in 82 and it was by far and away the nicest dorm, but we are 28 years down the road now. I hear that is a freshman only dorm. Any information you have will be appreciated.

My son doesn't need to spend near the time or money I did at the Family Dog, Sutters Mill, and First Street.

 

I spent some time on Thursday nights at the above establishments during the early 80's!

My son doesn't need to spend near the time or money I did at the Family Dog, Sutters Mill, and First Street.

I spent some time on Thursday nights at the above establishments during the early 80's!

 

Same here. Does anybody remember Phone 3? Big Rob use to run that place. Awesome Draft and peanuts. They had some really good rock bands their back in the day.

I didn't spend much time downtown as a college student at EKU. But I know the guy that owns the Paddy Wagon, so if you ever have a chance to go there, I would. It's a nice place.

 

As for EKU, I could tell you a few good Criminal Justice professors, but I don't remember many of my general education professors.

 

Try using ratemyprofessor.com. It always worked for me, and I never really had a bad experience with a professor at EKU. Oh, and take the Traffic Safety (I think the initials when you search to add are TRS) that is called "Motorcycle Safety" or something similar. It's a 100 level class, and I believe it counts as a Gen Ed. You get to ride motorcycles most of the class and it's an easy A. Oh and you get a little card that will allow you to get your motorcycle license.

 

It's a good school...but make sure you don't get too out of control. I saw some guys my freshman year that partied way too much and never went to class and they weren't there my sophomore year.

Same here. Does anybody remember Phone 3? Big Rob use to run that place. Awesome Draft and peanuts. They had some really good rock bands their back in the day.

 

Sure do, though it wasn't one of the more popular First Street bars when I went there. There was also a pool hall on First Street that we frequented quite a bit. And a bar at the end of the row (furthest away from main drag), but I can't recall the name of it right now. Ultimately, though, I spent a LOT of time at the Family Dog! :banana:

I went to EKU in early/mid 80's and loved it. Really haven't been down there in past 10 years or so. We visited there this week with my son and nephew (both seniors) and I was stunned. This was not the EKU I remember attending! It has grown so much - so many new buildings and facilities. The campus is huge now - not UK huge, but it's pretty big. Their fitness facility is first rate. The dining hall is beyond first rate. The expansion of the law enforcement college is impressive. The Business and Technology Building is very nice and they are adding a second (huge) building. The campus is very pretty - lots of green space and trees. The dorms are more than adequate - a few need some updating and they are in the process of doing so, but none would qualify as being "nasty." The football stadium is very nice and the turf field looks incredible. The baseball field is also turf now (infield; OF is still grass). The basketball arena is okay. Not stunning, but decent-sized and well-maintained. They have an outstanding Honors Program. The town of Richmond has grown so much. There used to be nothing - and I mean nothing - west of Exit 87. Now they have a business section that is similar to Crestview Towne Center. Lots of businesses/shops on the Bypass beyond the football stadium and Patty Hall Hospital now also. Honestly, there was nothing not to be impressed about the school.

 

Downtown doesn't seem to have quite the same "options" that were available as when I went, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. My son doesn't need to spend near the time or money I did at the Family Dog, Sutters Mill, and First Street. :sssh:

 

Yeah, yeah, yeah. All we want to know is if they still have "dime draft" on Fridays?

It's a good school...but make sure you don't get too out of control. I saw some guys my freshman year that partied way too much and never went to class and they weren't there my sophomore year.

 

Keep in mind those partying opportunities exist at pretty much every school. It's what you make of it individually. I had a high school buddy that went to Miami University and cranked out a 1.0 GPA his first semester. Besides being threatened by his parents, he was put on academic probation. Realizing that college was not really the thing for him, he buckled down and got a 0.0 the second semester. Technicially, he didn't even get that because he never showed up to a single class and got nothing but incompletes. That ended his college career. He now works in landscaping. And isn't the owner of the landscaping company, either.

 

I think EKU's reputation as a party school has been greatly diminished since I attended. Back then we were actually ranked in Playboy magazine. I acknowledge my role in helping create that ranking. :sssh: Half of UK showed up to Richmond on Thursday nights. Friday mornings were generally painful. Apparently things have greatly changed since those times.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.