Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How good is UK?

Featured Replies

They may have two guys who are more talented that any guy on that 96 team. However as a whole that 96 team is more talented IMO. That 96 team seriously had it all. I think the two things that really give the edge to the 96 team, is the amount of guys that could not only get to the basket but could shoot the basketball from the outside. This team has a lot of guys who can get to the basket, but not nearly as consistent when it comes to having guys who can knock down outside shots. Not to mention the 96 team also had the talent on the defensive end.

 

I won't argue that this year's team is better, but they have more individual talent.

 

I'm not sure how you would attempt to break down a matchup...would you go down the line position by position...Wall better than Epps, etc.

 

It seems to me it would be better to just rate the guys based on talent/potential.

 

Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Bledsoe, Orton, Miller, Liggins

 

Mercer, Anderson, Walker, Delk, Turner, McCarty, Sheppard

 

 

Then compare...Wall or Mercer...Cousins or Anderson...Patterson or Walker...Bledsoe or Delk?

 

Personally, I like the raw talent on this team better. What they're lacking is experience, and the '96 team had it. They had a great mix of talent (from freshmen to seniors) and experience.

 

I guess I view it a little like the SEC football debate this year. Sure, the other conferences may have been able to match up with the SEC after Alabama and Florida. Maybe they even had a few more good teams at the bottom. But, if the middle is comparable and the top two are clearly better, how much weight does a few good players at the bottom of the list carry?

 

Strictly from a talent/potential standpoint, Cousins and Wall separate this team, IMO.

 

But, its OK to disagree. Both teams are/were loaded.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it takes luck as much as being good to go undefeated. UK had Indiana beat at Indiana that year but Kent Benson was able to tie the game with a shot to put it into OT. The thing about Benson's shot was that he slapped at it as he was falling backwards to the floor. A prayer, but it went in, and IU went on to win.

 

That's how I remember it from listening to Cawood on the radio. If I got some of it wrong someone can correct me, but that's how I remember it.

 

You remember correctly except it was at Freedom hall in Louisville rather than Assembly in Bloomington.

I may have a typo....but I do firmly believe they'll finish out the regular season and the SEC tourney undefeated, and go into the tournament as the overall #1 seed.

 

I disagree, they will drop one, maybe two on the road in the SEC.

I disagree, they will drop one, maybe two on the road in the SEC.

 

Yep. :thumb:

I disagree, they will drop one, maybe two on the road in the SEC.

 

Strictly based on matchups, they shouldn't lose to anyone in the SEC.

 

But, they're still young, and they still haven't learned to put teams away. At some point, they'll let one slip away, or run into the wrong team on the wrong night.

 

There's always a chance that you come out flat and your opponent is playing its best game of the season. It happens.

 

I'll be surprised if they don't drop one at some point before the season is over. I never want to see UK lose, but at the same time, I wonder if a loss wouldn't help them. Perhaps that's what they need to learn that you need to bury teams when you have the chance, instead of easing up and giving them a chance to get back in the game.

  • Author

Pitino tried several times to force the square peg (Delk) into the round hole (point guard) but was unsuccessful.

 

I don't think UK will go undefeated in the regular season and I hope they don't.

 

The 96 team is the best UK team I have seen in my lifetime. On raw talent this team stacks up real well but experience is the difference. Take Bledoe vs. Delk as an example. As freshman Bledsoe is the better player but Delk as a senior was better than Bledsoe the freshman. In 3 years I would take Bledsoe and I loved Tony Delk.

 

One thing that both teams share is a belief in their ability to win.

Pitino tried several times to force the square peg (Delk) into the round hole (point guard) but was unsuccessful.

 

I don't think UK will go undefeated in the regular season and I hope they don't.

 

The 96 team is the best UK team I have seen in my lifetime. On raw talent this team stacks up real well but experience is the difference. Take Bledoe vs. Delk as an example. As freshman Bledsoe is the better player but Delk as a senior was better than Bledsoe the freshman. In 3 years I would take Bledsoe and I loved Tony Delk.

 

One thing that both teams share is a belief in their ability to win.

 

That's my point...I'm just looking at pure talent. If you just matched up the starters, Derek Anderson vs. Darius Miller is the only spot that I'd take the '96 guy. That's also why I don't think you can just do a straight position-by-position matchup. Two of the most talented players on the '96 squad were freshman coming off the bench...Mercer and Turner.

"An upset of major proportions" :rolleyes:

 

Laying all the foundations for a big "I told you so" moment I see. Look, the chances of Kentucky going undefeated and winning the title are highly unlikely and in your favor to throw it back in everyone's face. For 30+ years no team has gone unblemished or even lost 1 game and still won the title. 2 losses is the minimum. Basically you have laid your money on every red and black number on the roulette table and UK has the green. It would be "an upset of major proportions" if UK is able to run the table just to the Elite 8.

 

He's been doing it for a week now. Just waiting for the right time....

He's been doing it for a week now. Just waiting for the right time....

 

He's real sneaky about it :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.