Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Charge versus Block

Featured Replies

With the holidays here and a little lull in the action before conference play begins, I want to discuss my pet peeve in college basketball - the charging call. I would love to see refs change their slant from preferring to call the charge to preferring a no call or a blocking call. Make that defender really earn the charge. I contend less than 25% of charging calls are really charging. Invariably the defender leans a little left or right to create the contact, or starts falling even before contact, and the refs call the charge. I think to get a charge, the defender needs to plant his feet and not move his body at all. Regardless of feet being planted, if the defender leans into the offensive player to create the contact, it shouldn't be called a charge. I see this call missed in every college game I watch. It irks me to no end.

I couldn't agree more VOR. Its the most irritating thing in basketball, IMO. Way too often the defense gets bailed out with flop after not being able to stop somebody...

 

To me, if a guy isn't getting steamrolled after being planted like a tree, its a block. Period. You'll rarely ever hear me complaining about a blocking call. And, if I do, you can bet its blatantly obvious.

 

The guys have to establish position and not be moving, correct? I'd say your estimation of less than 25% is accurate.

With the holidays here and a little lull in the action before conference play begins, I want to discuss my pet peeve in college basketball - the charging call. I would love to see refs change their slant from preferring to call the charge to preferring a no call or a blocking call. Make that defender really earn the charge. I contend less than 25% of charging calls are really charging. Invariably the defender leans a little left or right to create the contact, or starts falling even before contact, and the refs call the charge. I think to get a charge, the defender needs to plant his feet and not move his body at all. Regardless of feet being planted, if the defender leans into the offensive player to create the contact, it shouldn't be called a charge. I see this call missed in every college game I watch. It irks me to no end.

 

You are incorrect in your belief that the defender cannot move. Once he establishes what's referred to as legal guarding position he can be moving, say, backwards and still get the charge call. He can be moving sideways as well if he's moving with the offensive player. He cannot "lean" sideways and get the call.

 

You're probably incorrect on your 25% number.

What do you have on these?

 

 

You are incorrect in your belief that the defender cannot move. Once he establishes what's referred to as legal guarding position he can be moving, say, backwards and still get the charge call. He can be moving sideways as well if he's moving with the offensive player. He cannot "lean" sideways and get the call.

 

You're probably incorrect on your 25% number.

 

Clyde you are always right on top of BBall rules on here. Did you ref or coach?

Clyde you are always right on top of BBall rules on here. Did you ref or coach?

 

Yes.

The first youtube video would have been a block in the NBA due to the half circle, IMO.

 

Also, what is this secondary defender rule in college this year?

  • Author
What do you have on these?

 

 

 

I'm ok with both of those being charges. Both defenders had established position. If only they were all as easy to call as those. The biggest area I see these calls missed is when the defensive player slides his body to the side to cause contact. That didn't happen in either of these videos.

 

As to Blue Magic's question, the new NCAA rule is a secondary (or help) defender can not draw a charge under the basket. It is automatically a blocking call.

 

As to Blue Magic's question, the new NCAA rule is a secondary (or help) defender can not draw a charge under the basket. It is automatically a blocking call.

 

The key to that is "under the basket."

Yes.

 

Figured it had to be one or the other man. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

The blocking call too often rewards a defender that can't actually stop his man, IMO.

 

I don't like it, but it is what it is.

You are incorrect in your belief that the defender cannot move. Once he establishes what's referred to as legal guarding position he can be moving, say, backwards and still get the charge call. He can be moving sideways as well if he's moving with the offensive player. He cannot "lean" sideways and get the call.

 

You're probably incorrect on your 25% number.

 

I understand the backward and sideways movement, or beating the offensive player to the spot, but what is the rule if the defensive player starts to fall or lean backwards before the contact?

 

I have seen this particular play called a charge all year and it's a block IMO, but I'm not sure what the actual rule is.

With the holidays here and a little lull in the action before conference play begins, I want to discuss my pet peeve in college basketball - the charging call. I would love to see refs change their slant from preferring to call the charge to preferring a no call or a blocking call. Make that defender really earn the charge. I contend less than 25% of charging calls are really charging. Invariably the defender leans a little left or right to create the contact, or starts falling even before contact, and the refs call the charge. I think to get a charge, the defender needs to plant his feet and not move his body at all. Regardless of feet being planted, if the defender leans into the offensive player to create the contact, it shouldn't be called a charge. I see this call missed in every college game I watch. It irks me to no end.

 

So a definsive player shouldn't be allowed to lean into a player to create a charge, but offensive players are allowed to lean into contact to create a foul? There also should be no fouls then on the defense when the offense is the one who creates the foul.

 

I know personally I love how they actually do call the charge in the college game. If they stop doing that, it will be to much like the NBA game, which at least for me I don't like. The only thing they should change in college, is put that little circle on the court under the rim.

:thumb:

So a definsive player shouldn't be allowed to lean into a player to create a charge, but offensive players are allowed to lean into contact to create a foul? There also should be no fouls then on the defense when the offense is the one who creates the foul.

 

I know personally I love how they actually do call the charge in the college game. If they stop doing that, it will be to much like the NBA game, which at least for me I don't like. The only thing they should change in college, is put that little circle on the court under the rim.

 

:thumb:

I believe the biggest problem here is not enough no calls. When and offensive player throws his body into the defender with little contact but it obviously throws the shot off, no call is correct. When a defender has position and flops with very minimal contact, no call. I dont have a major beef with the way college refs call the charge/block, they just blow the whistle to often.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.