Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport 60 Highlands 38

Featured Replies

Missing Grubbs probably hurt Highlands a lot in this one. Against that size, if I'm a coach, I'm pounding it into the post.

 

Mcdaniel:puke: all and said only played about a quarter in this one foul trouble he scored Newports first five points then went to the bench.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this game just goes to show how important Grubbs is to this team.

 

Highlands beats Mason without Kowolonek and Grote but lost to Newport without Grubbs and Kowolonek?

 

Newport is a very good team but I expected a better performance out of the Birds. Coach Flynn can't be happy with the 15 second half points. Probably has them in the gym practicing right now.

You take very good offensive players off the Bluebird team like Kowolonek and Grubbs and throw in a rusty Grote and you are shorthanded. However, the other guys needed to step up and play hard and they still shouldnt have let this get out of hand like it did. You got Gordon/Lother/Dill/Smith-Keller/Watson who all are Sr's and have started in the past and then you have Stewart.

 

Im surprised the Birds JV lost to be honest, they were undefeated until last night.

With Newport beating Highlands won't this win rank Newport as the #2 team in NKY or maybe #3?

With Newport beating Highlands won't this win rank Newport as the #2 team in NKY or maybe #3?

 

No I dont believe so.

No I dont believe so.

Who would be ranked in front of them other than Holmes and maybe Boone Co.?

Who would be ranked in front of them other than Holmes and maybe Boone Co.?

 

Im not even sure they will jump Highlands with them missing a couple of key players.

Who's hosting the 36th?

 

Newport, good place to watch a game.

Newport, good place to watch a game.

 

Newport can not control who play's for thier opponent nor can they control the polls. Just have to keep beating whoever the other team put's out there!

With Newport beating Highlands won't this win rank Newport as the #2 team in NKY or maybe #3?

 

Outside of this win over a depleted Highlands team, Newport hasn't beaten anyone to justify a ranking that high. They still need to prove themselves against other top 10 teams in the area.

 

They'll have that chance this week end in the Lloyd Invitational. They'll likely meet Campbell Co and if they win that game, get another shot at Holmes in the semi's.

 

At this point, I'd rank the 9th like this:

 

1. Holmes

2. Boone Co

3. Highlands

4. Newcath

5. Covcath

6. Conner

7. Ryle

8. Newport

9. Dixie Heights

10. St. Henry

 

The reason I rank Newport that low is because the only top team they've played, Holmes, they lost by 19. (59-41)

Outside of this win over a depleted Highlands team, Newport hasn't beaten anyone to justify a ranking that high. They still need to prove themselves against other top 10 teams in the area.

 

They'll have that chance this week end in the Lloyd Invitational. They'll likely meet Campbell Co and if they win that game, get another shot at Holmes in the semi's.

 

At this point, I'd rank the 9th like this:

 

1. Holmes

2. Boone Co

3. Highlands

4. Newcath

5. Covcath

6. Conner

7. Ryle

8. Newport

9. Dixie Heights

10. St. Henry

 

The reason I rank Newport that low is because the only top team they've played, Holmes, they lost by 19. (59-41)

 

I will disagree and say that they should atleast move up to 5th. They beat Bryan Station last week on the road in that Bourbon Co tourney and they beat the Birds convincingly.

I will disagree and say that they should atleast move up to 5th. They beat Bryan Station last week on the road in that Bourbon Co tourney and they beat the Birds convincingly.

 

I agree. I would have Newport at 5th. For me, it is a tossup right now between CCH, Conner and Dixie for the next three slots.

I will disagree and say that they should atleast move up to 5th. They beat Bryan Station last week on the road in that Bourbon Co tourney and they beat the Birds convincingly.

 

I agree. I would have Newport at 5th. For me, it is a tossup right now between CCH, Conner and Dixie for the next three slots.

 

Bryan Station isn't exactly the power that they've been over the past few years though.

 

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this matter but I personally think Newport is #8 right now. I'm not saying they can't move up because I think they likely will but I guess they're just a bit unknown to myself right now since they haven't played anyone in nky but Holmes and a Highlands team missing their two most important players.

 

I'd also rank Covcath 5th because they've beat both Conner and Ryle on the road.

Either way you shake it, Newport beat a very good Highlands team. A Highlands team that I felt was the 2nd best team in N.Ky this year. Regardless who played or who didn't play with a final as lopsided as this one is I have to say Newport is a solid team. Hopefully they will get a second crack at Holmes to show there might. I don't think they will fair so well, but at least they can get a shot. At the LMI this weekend we will see what kind of a difference 2 weeks can make.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.