Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky-Duke classics

Featured Replies

Thank you, taped and will be taping both of them.

 

I'll watch the 92 game tonight. Such great memories.

 

Actually, the '92 game still is the greatest college basketball game I've ever seen. Even if you're Dukies won Purple. :thumb:

  • Replies 38
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, the '92 game still is the greatest college basketball game I've ever seen. Even if you're Dukies won Purple. :thumb:

 

Same for me, and even if UK would have won, it'd still be the greatest game I had ever seen as well.

 

I look forward to watching the game. It's been so long since I have seen it in its entirety. I still remember thinking that 2.1 seconds was enough time to get a shot off after Sean Woods' shot made the Spectrum erupt. I can't wait to watch it.

You wouldn't watch it if it was.

 

Don't need to; I watched it the first time and remember it quite well, right down to the fact that I was in a hotel room in the Twin Cities area, and it was really freakin' cold that day.

 

Exciting moment -- one of many in a long line of big NCAA moments -- but it doesn't come close to measuring up to how exciting the '92 game with Duke was.

 

Actually, check that. I just might, because I get sucked in by those old-school broadcasts just to get a feel for how different everything looked back then, being a history nut and all.

They were only down 10 at the half. Those Cats were known for coming back, and you gave up on them in the championship game because they were down by 10? :idunno:

 

We beat Utah in the Championship game, not Duke. But, I agree with you.

 

Why would you ever turn the game off at halftime? :idunno:

Was Jim Nance calling the unforgettables the Unforgivables?:confused::idunno:

 

From the 98 game...

Edited by ADopted ADmiral

Same for me, and even if UK would have won, it'd still be the greatest game I had ever seen as well.

 

I look forward to watching the game. It's been so long since I have seen it in its entirety. I still remember thinking that 2.1 seconds was enough time to get a shot off after Sean Woods' shot made the Spectrum erupt. I can't wait to watch it.

 

No one will believe it but I literally refused to believe UK was going to pull it off. So I turned to my friend whose house I was at and said, "Too much time. Laettner will stick it in." I said it out of pessimism.

 

The only other time I got that right was in '79. Down 22-21 to Danville. :03 left at the 35 yard line of Danville. I turned to Gerald Jones and told him, "We'll complete this pass and win it." 35 yard bomb to Tim Warren. TD.

  • Author
We beat Utah in the Championship game, not Duke. But, I agree with you.

 

Why would you ever turn the game off at halftime? :idunno:

 

 

Yes I know that. :D I thought he was talking about the championship game. After going back and reading his post again I'm not sure why I thought that. :lol:

Don't need to; I watched it the first time and remember it quite well, right down to the fact that I was in a hotel room in the Twin Cities area, and it was really freakin' cold that day.

 

Exciting moment -- one of many in a long line of big NCAA moments -- but it doesn't come close to measuring up to how exciting the '92 game with Duke was.

Actually, check that. I just might, because I get sucked in by those old-school broadcasts just to get a feel for how different everything looked back then, being a history nut and all.

 

Actually I've got that game on VHS. It is light years from today.

 

Short Shorts. Very Short. I don't remember those things that short when I wore them in those days. :lol:

 

Defense was totally different because the officials called any, ANY physical contact. In that Duke game I forgot that Mike Phillips had 4 Fouls and James Lee 3 Fouls at Half time. :ohbrother:

 

Better jump shooters in those days. Much better. That UK team shot 54% from the field for the season and they weren't all inside shots either.

 

It was a different game then.

Some thoughts on the '98 game...

 

Coack K was outclassed by Tubby. Duke ran out of timeouts with about six minutes left and Tubby refused to call one to let them regroup. Tubby had way more control of his team from the side than Coach K did.

 

Throughout the run and closing of the game, UK went small. Three guards, Padgett and Heshimu Evans. Evans was huge on the glass.

 

Wayne Turner just abused Wojo. He got to the basket any time he wanted.

I watched the 92 game last night and it's been so long since I watched the whole game that I was amazed at how great of a game it truly was. Both teams hit huge shot after huge shot the whole game. Both teams went on runs when needed. The 92 game deserves its own thread. I could go on and on about it. It's a shame someone had to lose, but when I watched the game last night, I was into the game like it was being broadcast live. I'll be an expert on this game by the time this weekend is over.:D

Some thoughts on the '98 game...

 

Coack K was outclassed by Tubby. Duke ran out of timeouts with about six minutes left and Tubby refused to call one to let them regroup. Tubby had way more control of his team from the side than Coach K did.

 

Throughout the run and closing of the game, UK went small. Three guards, Padgett and Heshimu Evans. Evans was huge on the glass.

 

Wayne Turner just abused Wojo. He got to the basket any time he wanted.

 

Poor guy needs to watch the video of this game and learn not to call so many timeouts at end of game situations.

If they really wanted to, they could make this an all-day affair.

 

1966 (Doubt much footage is left) UK (#1) over Duke (#2) in Final Four by 4 points I believe.

 

1978 NCAA Title Game with Givens going off for 41 points and UK winning 94-88.

 

1980 NCAA Sweet 16 game at Rupp. Duke builds a big lead only to see UK come back and have the chance to win it at the buzzer but Kyle Macy's last shot as a Wildcat was just off the mark.

 

1992 and 1998 go without explanation.

 

 

See, this could really be a great all day video fest. :thumb:

1984 ... Dicky Beal gets away with a critical walk late in the regional final win over Illinois at Rupp, then Kentucky goes 3-for-33 in the second half against Georgetown.

 

Karma ... :lol:

Coack K was outclassed by Tubby. Duke ran out of timeouts with about six minutes left and Tubby refused to call one to let them regroup. Tubby had way more control of his team from the side than Coach K did.
How many of those timeouts were called by Duke players in loose ball/out-of-bounds situations, most of which are wholly unnecessary.

 

I remember that the last timeout was called by a player, and we knew it was going to hurt the Dookies sometime in the final minutes.

Wayne Turner just abused Wojo. He got to the basket any time he wanted.
Agreed. Wojo may be the most overrated player in college basketball history.
Two of the best games in UK history--and the 1992 game is one of the best in NCAA tourney history. I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing during both games.
I bet at least half of the people in Kentucky can tell you where they watched it.

 

I was in a hotel room in Tampa.

How many of those timeouts were called by Duke players in loose ball/out-of-bounds situations, most of which are wholly unnecessary.

 

The last timeout was, but I think that is it.

 

When they ran out of timeouts, Coach K couldn't get much going from the side. Tubby had plenty and refused to use them because his guys were in sync.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.