Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does your school pull freshman up?

Featured Replies

Does your school pull up freshmen for JV ball and if so do they play both freshman and JV and do some schools have players that play freshman, JV, and Varsity? Just curious on which schools do this.

If their good enough, of course they do. You want the best players, no matter what grade.

If their good enough, of course they do. You want the best players, no matter what grade.

 

:thumb:

Ive seen it done before at different schools. If a player starts varsity they probably don't need to play JV or freshmen ball. But its the coach's decision. Last year Bryan Station had a player who started JV and then after the JV game started varsity. Also, I remember at Bell Co. we started Jeremy Sanders as a freshman in varsity all year and then as a sophomore he actually played in some JV games. Then the Hicks kid at Shelby Co. last year as an 8th grader played freshmen, jv, varsity.

I know when I went through SK would do it spairingly but seldomly to play varsity, atleast not inititally. I know Mike Brock played up his freshmen year but he also went on to be on All State player, it certainly didn't happen frequently. I would think that it would be different for each coach rather than each school per se.

Ive seen it done before at different schools. If a player starts varsity they probably don't need to play JV or freshmen ball. But its the coach's decision. Last year Bryan Station had a player who started JV and then after the JV game started varsity. Also, I remember at Bell Co. we started Jeremy Sanders as a freshman in varsity all year and then as a sophomore he actually played in some JV games. Then the Hicks kid at Shelby Co. last year as an 8th grader played freshmen, jv, varsity.

 

 

But did this happy for every game? I could see a coach make a decision to start a kid that played well during the JV game, especially if the player he's replacing isn't feeling well or if he hasn't been practicing well or what not.

 

Now if this happens all season long and it's not because of a lack of numbers then that to me would be poor sportsmanship.

Most small schools pull freshman up. I consider it tacky to play a varsity starter on the j.v. or freshman team but I have seen it done a couple of times.

A lot of smaller have to play kids on 2 or teams to be able to field teams on all levels. Iagree that anybody that plays a lot of minutes in varsity should not play JV.

I say play the best players, no matter the grade. It helps both the team and the player, I do not know a coach that does not want to put the best 5 players on the court.

I agree, if a player is good enough why not play him up. In some cases with smaller schools they have to play freshman and 8th graders up. Last year I believe Lexington Catholic played a freshman during the state game, but that could have been some other team.

A few years ago Dayton had 2 8th graders dress Freshmen,jv,varisty. Matter of fact the one scored 8 pts in the fisrt half in a Dayton win over Walton. But now I read that they have 40 players in there program. Coach Dilts had worked his tail off down there with the youth program he has ran for over 30yrs. And I hope it pays off for him and his team this year.

But did this happy for every game? I could see a coach make a decision to start a kid that played well during the JV game, especially if the player he's replacing isn't feeling well or if he hasn't been practicing well or what not.

 

Now if this happens all season long and it's not because of a lack of numbers then that to me would be poor sportsmanship.

 

I watched them play 5 or 6 times last year and I only witnessed it in person once. (I usually don't go to an entire JV game when I'm going to watch a game) but that was the talk from people at the game about him doing it a lot.

Dixie Heights had a 7th grader, Hatton, who played alot of JV minutes and some varsity minutes last year. He is very good and may be a contributer at the varsity level this year.

Does your school pull up freshmen for JV ball and if so do they play both freshman and JV and do some schools have players that play freshman, JV, and Varsity? Just curious on which schools do this.

 

At small schools this is necessary.

GRC is a big school. Over 1700 students. Preston Knowles started varsity as a Freshman . Robbie Stenzel has started for GRC since the 8th grade. I agree if they are good enough, play them.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.