Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Feeder Programs

Featured Replies

  • Author
It's killing Bell County.

 

 

Again just what I have heard, but I have heard that Bell's middle school Coach and Coach Hilton don't exactly see eye to eye.

 

Back to topic, I'm guessing when it comes down to kids not playing football it's a mix between kids not liking a coach for whatever reason, not thinking they are good enough, and parents not taking time to encourage them kids and taking time just to help their kids. I believe our pee wee league will get the numbers up a little in a few years!

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that pee wee league is the smartest move yet to get kids introducted to the game. The challenge is to keep kids interested enough through elementary and middle school and then into high school.

 

The hope is that the success of both the county and city schools will trickle down to the younger players, which will inspire them to want to play high school football.

Yes I know, does the middle school have a football team? They have Ft. Thomas youth football league which feeds Highlands program.
The FTJFL includes 3rd through 8th grade.
Does that mean they split kids up to form several teams?
Yes; roughly based on the different areas of the city.
This thread was started because a statement was made in the Harlan Co./Bell game thread that Bell was better for numerous reasons one being they just have one middle school and played better together!

 

That's certainly an interesting take on things. I would say that the experience gained from having played together for years is definitely a benefit, yes, but still, the benefit of being able to draw from multiple programs and having players come in with experience under their belts already would generally be more beneficial. That's just one man's opinion...but I think it's a pretty valid one.

If kids stay here at Fort Campbell long enough, there's a youth league on post that "feeds" the high school. It's the issue of staying at Fort Campbell long enough that's the problem. There are a few players currently on the team that grew up in the youth sports league on post.

 

Later.

I agree that pee wee league is the smartest move yet to get kids introducted to the game. The challenge is to keep kids interested enough through elementary and middle school and then into high school.

 

The hope is that the success of both the county and city schools will trickle down to the younger players, which will inspire them to want to play high school football.

 

I coached youth league for 8 years. The more success the highschool team has the more numbers and exitement are generated in the youth. I feel like in alot of cases the system works in reverse.

Again just what I have heard, but I have heard that Bell's middle school Coach and Coach Hilton don't exactly see eye to eye.

Back to topic, I'm guessing when it comes down to kids not playing football it's a mix between kids not liking a coach for whatever reason, not thinking they are good enough, and parents not taking time to encourage them kids and taking time just to help their kids. I believe our pee wee league will get the numbers up a little in a few years!

It would be my guess they get along pretty well or the middle school coach would be gone and I don't have a clue who he may be.

  • Author
It would be my guess they get along pretty well or the middle school coach would be gone and I don't have a clue who he may be.

 

I believe he was a RB for Bell back in the mid 90's. Again that's just what I have heard and maybe it's more like he don't really care for how things are done instead of them not getting along.

Corbin only has one 7th grade team and one 8th grade team feeding their high school. I don't think anyone will argue with their success at the middle school or high school level. As far as Corbin's participation numbers at the high school level, I believe that when the Corbin football team picture was published in the paper, I counted 58 or 59 players. I'm not to taking either side. I'm only pointing out that success can be achieved with only one middle school feeder program.

Participation is great, HOWEVER the talent has to there. It does matter if you have one or 5 middle school, if the overall team talent is not there, then you can not expect to compete for state championships.

 

The question that needs to be examined is does Harlan County lack the talent needed to be competive with the likes of Highlands or are talented kids not developing or participating?

 

If you try to gauge the success of New Harlan, your argument is weak due to the emerge of "hold backs." IMO holding a student back for shear athletics is insane.

Participation is great, HOWEVER the talent has to there. It does matter if you have one or 5 middle school, if the overall team talent is not there, then you can not expect to compete for state championships.

 

The question that needs to be examined is does Harlan County lack the talent needed to be competive with the likes of Highlands or are talented kids not developing or participating?

 

If you try to gauge the success of New Harlan, your argument is weak due to the emerge of "hold backs." IMO holding a student back for shear athletics is insane.

 

 

What happens if you examine the question and decide you can't?

Do you quit trying?

 

Harlan County has the talent right now to compete for regional championships, and they can worry about a state championship when they get to that point.

 

I think you need a "holdback" thread because that's too big an issue to bring into this. Just about everyone has holdbacks though, and whether a student graduates at 16, 17, 18 or 19 is up to parents.

 

It's usually something someone complains about when they need an excuse for not being able to compete.

A complaint that is valid when comparing school districts that do vs. those that do not, specifically at the middle school level. In high school, most kids have physically matured to their potential and it becomes irrelevant.

 

HCC does have a chance to win the region this year, but will it have the talent in future years to remain competive in the region.

A complaint that is valid when comparing school districts that do vs. those that do not, specifically at the middle school level. In high school, most kids have physically matured to their potential and it becomes irrelevant.

 

HCC does have a chance to win the region this year, but will it have the talent in future years to remain competive in the region.

 

 

 

They all do.

Some parents are a little more clever by holding students back in preschool or just starting them late.

 

Harlan's best two eighth-grade players this year, for example, would normally be in the ninth grade.

 

Harlan County's talent level in the eighth and ninth grades is quite a bit better than the 11th and 12th grades, from what I've seen, so they should remain competitive in the region.

 

Cawood was, by themselves, just as good or better than all the teams in the 5A district until the last decade or so.

Participation is great, HOWEVER the talent has to there. It does matter if you have one or 5 middle school, if the overall team talent is not there, then you can not expect to compete for state championships.

 

The question that needs to be examined is does Harlan County lack the talent needed to be competive with the likes of Highlands or are talented kids not developing or participating?

 

If you try to gauge the success of New Harlan, your argument is weak due to the emerge of "hold backs." IMO holding a student back for shear athletics is insane.

 

While there are always up and down years, I think most schools on average have roughly the same amount of genetically talented kids. To me, the question is how do the rest of the kids develop - those kids that are only "average" when they arrive at HS? IMO, those are the kids that put Highlands over the top each year. How do you think they got enough kids for a two platoon system?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.