Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tipton Releases a New Masterpiece

Featured Replies

  • Author
Come on now Wireman. I don't know how anyone could have any problem with that article. Tipton gave a good description of the game, and the part about Patterson's new ride was not negative in any form at all. I think you definitely need to quit reading his articles because I think you're just looking for anything at all to complain about, and when there's nothing there you're just making stuff up.

 

You're 100% correct. Can we close this thread, please?

 

Thanks, Wireman

  • Replies 150
  • Views 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I need to follow this advice from someone that is a position to criticize the media:

 

“I come to work and somebody says ‘Coach, Jerry Tipton (basketball writer for the Lexington Herald-Leader) just killed you today’ and I just look at them and say okay, that’s fine. I don’t read it. I like Jerry. I’ve always liked Jerry. I just don’t read what he writes and don’t want to know what he writes.”

 

- John Calipari

 

Calipari has always said that he doesn't "drink the poison" and doesn't read the good, nor does he read the bad articles.

Here are a few negative slants from the article:

 

- Patterson's new Lincoln Mark LT in the first paragraph

 

- "The crowd got involved in politely applauding as former UK Coach Joe B. Hall" - actually, Hall received about a 15-second standing ovation that was one of the highlights of the entire night

 

- "The two prospects sat in the front row behind the White team bench. From that vantage point, they could hear fans chant their names." - this one's obvious

 

Later in the article, he says how Patterson got the new car from his father who "caved in". How's that negative?

 

The "politely applauded" comment is a little strange, but I don't think that's negative at all.

 

The last one was a comment that furthered a point he made in one of his more recent articles -- which was incorrect. The last one is a little off the wall, but at least consistent.

 

I think you need to relax a little my man. Tipton has written his fair share of articles, some good, some bad. Don't let the bad ones cloud your judgment for future articles.

  • Author
Later in the article, he says how Patterson got the new car from his father who "caved in". How's that negative?

 

The "politely applauded" comment is a little strange, but I don't think that's negative at all.

 

The last one was a comment that furthered a point he made in one of his more recent articles -- which was incorrect. The last one is a little off the wall, but at least consistent.

 

I think you need to relax a little my man. Tipton has written his fair share of articles, some good, some bad. Don't let the bad ones cloud your judgment for future articles.

 

 

Again, I agree 100% :thumb:

Here are a few negative slants from the article:

 

- Patterson's new Lincoln Mark LT in the first paragraph

 

- "The crowd got involved in politely applauding as former UK Coach Joe B. Hall" - actually, Hall received about a 15-second standing ovation that was one of the highlights of the entire night

 

- "The two prospects sat in the front row behind the White team bench. From that vantage point, they could hear fans chant their names." - this one's obvious

I didn't see much wrong with his article but I will agree with you here. He did downplay that a quite a bit.
  • Author

Well, I was about to give up my argument, but just saw this on KSR:

 

Link: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=32504

 

In case you missed it earlier today, Jerry Tipton wrote a game report in which he commented on the fact that Patrick Patterson had a new truck. In his report, he said Patrick drove the new truck to the game and then “the fun figured to continue when he climbed in his new black truck and drove away.” Interesting story right? The problem is that according to Patterson’s mother, it is not true. I spoke this afternoon to Tywanna Patterson who said that Patrick didnt drive to the game in the truck or drive home afterwards, instead riding with his parents to dinner after the game. She also said that Patrick’s new truck isnt even on campus and was a gift from his parents that will be left in Huntington. Patterson’s mother was upset at Tipton’s comments on the truck and said,

 

“I just dont appreciate him making false statements and comments. When he first interviewed me, he misquoted me about OJ Mayo when Patrick was in high school. I just wish he would stop doing that.”

 

The Patterson family has had issues with Tipton before and his father Buster Patterson, famously said to a line of Tipton’s questioning, “you just dont quit do you Jerry?” But as for the current issue, Tywanna Patterson simply says, “I just wish he would report on the game and not things that didnt happen.”

Edited by Wireman
Forgot to link the story

The article itself may not be negative, but why put anything at all about him having a new truck in the article? It was intended to be looked it in a negative light and it worked for some people. Now that the Patterson family is calling Tipton out as a liar are any Wireman bashers going to look at it differently?

  • Author
The article itself may not be negative, but why put anything at all about him having a new truck in the article? It was intended to be looked it in a negative light and it worked for some people. Now that the Patterson family is calling Tipton out as a liar are any Wireman bashers going to look at it differently?

 

That was my original point is that him driving a new truck to the game is irrelevant to the blue/white game.

 

I realize that I have overreacted to Tipton and I apologize for that, but now that he has been exposed by Patterson's family...I just have to :lol: a little.

That was my original point is that him driving a new truck to the game is irrelevant to the blue/white game.

 

I realize that I have overreacted to Tipton and I apologize for that, but now that he has been exposed by Patterson's family...I just have to :lol: a little.

 

I'm with you man. If people who aren't fans of UK are reading the article and they have no idea who Tipton is they would probably think the article wasn't negative. They may question the new truck for a sure fire first rounder who has a multi million dollar insurance policy(that's what he was implying), but they may not see it as negative. Anyone though who knows Tiptpn's MO knew it was negative. Maybe he's just getting good at being negative all the while giving himslef ways to say it isn't negative. It's funny that people jumped on you. If indeed the truck isn't on campus that should say a lot.

Patterson left Rupp with his parents and went to dinner. Tipton just flat out lied in his article. I know, I know, he was just doing his job.

The article itself may not be negative, but why put anything at all about him having a new truck in the article?

 

Don't you know? Its just the tip of the iceburg on the next Watergate scandal. Its going to be the proof that Coach Cal took Derrick Rose's SAT for him, and Tubby never received a fax from Randolph Morris.

Well, I was about to give up my argument, but just saw this on KSR:

 

Link: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=32504

 

In case you missed it earlier today, Jerry Tipton wrote a game report in which he commented on the fact that Patrick Patterson had a new truck. In his report, he said Patrick drove the new truck to the game and then “the fun figured to continue when he climbed in his new black truck and drove away.” Interesting story right? The problem is that according to Patterson’s mother, it is not true. I spoke this afternoon to Tywanna Patterson who said that Patrick didnt drive to the game in the truck or drive home afterwards, instead riding with his parents to dinner after the game. She also said that Patrick’s new truck isnt even on campus and was a gift from his parents that will be left in Huntington. Patterson’s mother was upset at Tipton’s comments on the truck and said,

 

“I just dont appreciate him making false statements and comments. When he first interviewed me, he misquoted me about OJ Mayo when Patrick was in high school. I just wish he would stop doing that.”

 

The Patterson family has had issues with Tipton before and his father Buster Patterson, famously said to a line of Tipton’s questioning, “you just dont quit do you Jerry?” But as for the current issue, Tywanna Patterson simply says, “I just wish he would report on the game and not things that didnt happen.”

 

Well, poor Mrs. Patterson just doesn't realize that Jerry Tipton only reports facts, and that most UK fans hate him because his facts shed a negative light on our basketball program.

 

(At least, that's the claim by some of the "wise" ones on this board...)

If Tipton completely made that story up, I've lost all respect for him. What a weird thing for a journalist to make up. If he truly made it up, I hope he feels some repercussions.

 

As far as the negative story goes - even if it was fabricated, I still don't think it was negative. Sure, I thought he was going to hint that the truck was some type of violation, but he clarified that Buster Patterson bought it for him later in the article.

If Tipton completely made that story up, I've lost all respect for him. What a weird thing for a journalist to make up. If he truly made it up, I hope he feels some repercussions.

 

As far as the negative story goes - even if it was fabricated, I still don't think it was negative. Sure, I thought he was going to hint that the truck was some type of violation, but he clarified that Buster Patterson bought it for him later in the article.

 

So it's impossible to imply Buster Patterson got money from someone he shouldn't have? If he didn't lie and we find out the car was on campus and Patrick Patterson drove it to and from the game what was the point in putting that in the article that was a summary of a scrimmage? Did he list how every player and coach arrived at Rupp? Do any other beat writers across the country report how players get to games? If they do is it just to inform the masses? Do people really care how he got there? If they do is it b/c they think it might have been an improper benefit? Basically why have it in there if it is true? If it isn't and he isn't fired that's a complete and utter joke.

http://ukbasketball.bloginky.com/2009/10/29/clarification-pattersons-new-truck-in-huntington/

 

Tipton acknowledges he was, well incorrect in his article. Mrs. Patterson said she received a call from the Hearld Leader's editor apologizing for the article. A correction will be ran tomorrow.

 

Please someone from the print media please tell me that Tipton is just doing his job. Please, please, please come to his defense. Because I guess I still don't understand the role the media plays.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.