October 14, 200916 yr Just caught some ESPN, and they were talking about how the wildcat offense could be the new spread offense. One of the analyst mentioned it could Tebow's way of be succesful at the QB position. I think this is very true and he could revoloutionize this offense. Thoughts?
October 14, 200916 yr The fact that he walks on water and can heal his teammates helps his cause also.
October 14, 200916 yr I think it depends on how long it takes for defensive coordintors to figure out how to stop the Wildcat. Much like the Franklin offense in high school. When it first came out, it was very effective until teams figured out how to beat it. The same with the run and shoot of the early 90s. I'm curious to see Pat White's development in Miami along with how they use Vick in Philly. The Wildcat definately comes at a good time for Tebow because I dont think he starts in the NFL otherwise.
October 14, 200916 yr Just caught some ESPN, and they were talking about how the wildcat offense could be the new spread offense. One of the analyst mentioned it could Tebow's way of be succesful at the QB position. I think this is very true and he could revoloutionize this offense. Thoughts? I have said this outside of BGP & in other threads, but... It is my opinion that Tebow is basically responsible for the Wildcat offense making it's way to the NFL. NFL coaches saw how successful Florida has been running their "Gator package" and implemented their own package, but with better athletes. I have a hard time believing that Tim Tebow won't be a successful NFL player.
October 14, 200916 yr I think he can carve a niche in a wildcat type package. With that being said, I don't see NFL owners willing to invest millions in a QB, then putting him out their taking hit after hit after hit.
October 14, 200916 yr I think stuff like that is how Tebow will start out, but the Wildcat really isn't Tebow's style of offense. I'm sure teams will tailor it to suit him, but he's obviously better suited if teams would put in a more UF style package. It's really not that far fetched IMO. They would be doing alot of the same things that NFL teams already do, but moving it to shotgun/spread. NFL teams run the counter trey, power plays, zone,etc. It's feasible IMO.
October 14, 200916 yr I have said this outside of BGP & in other threads, but... It is my opinion that Tebow is basically responsible for the Wildcat offense making it's way to the NFL. NFL coaches saw how successful Florida has been running their "Gator package" and implemented their own package, but with better athletes. I have a hard time believing that Tim Tebow won't be a successful NFL player. Tebow was a big part of it I think, but I also believe Rich Rod and Pat White had alot to do with it. I know what they ran was not exactly the Wildcat, but I think it had a lot to do with this "Wildcat" idea. And lets not forget Mcfadden at Arkansas in the "wildhog".
October 14, 200916 yr The Wildcat was brought to the NFL by current Miami Dolphins QB coach David Lee. Lee was a coach under Houston Nutt at Arkansas, and was the Co-OC/QB coach there when they had Run-DMC and Felix Jones. Lee and OC Gus Malzahn put together the "Wildcat" put together from alot of older offenses from old. Maybe it's just me but I don't see alot of similarities between it and the spread offense. Maybe a small bit with some of the stuff UF does, but not the Rich Rod. Sure the player taking the snap can and will run with the ball, but it's totally different schematically. Here's David Lee talking about it. I think Tebow could do it, it would just need some tinkering, IMO.
October 14, 200916 yr ^^^ I think that Arkansas put it in with McFadden because they had two inexperienced QB's that year in Mitch Mustain and Casey Dick. Plus the fact that McFadden can throw. Lee has been quoted as saying that he just suggested it last year in camp when the offense didn't look very good. The Dolphins make it work because they have two great backs for the system and they have the guy who understands it as well as anyone.
October 14, 200916 yr Is he fast enough to do that in the NFL? Thats my question.... I seriously doubt it. Some kids are just mean't to be great college players.
October 14, 200916 yr I'm glad some people recognize that it was Arkansas that brought the Wildcat to the mainstream. It klls me when I'm watching a college game and some team runs the wildcat and the commentators give credit to Miami...
October 14, 200916 yr Is he fast enough to do that in the NFL? I don't think so. I also doubt he’s tough enough to play 16 weeks in the NFL if he continues to try and run over everybody in his path…
October 14, 200916 yr Just wanted to add that I think, with time, Tebow could become a very good pro QB. He has good tool for a QB, he just needs some mechanics. A team will be able to use him in special packages for a year or two, while working on his passing. I think it's a win-win for a team to draft him. He is a great leader, a winner, a hard-nosed football player his teammates will respect, and if he cannot be a full-time QB in the future, he would be a very good TE and situational snap taker.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.