October 15, 200916 yr If the blackout happens, I'll make the trip up Sunday morning... I'm not missing a Bengals game.
October 15, 200916 yr This topic was just discussed on Around The Horn on ESPN. They sounded just like this thread.
October 15, 200916 yr The blackout rule is a dated rule. It's from over 30 years ago. It makes no sense to reward idiot owners by forcing fans to go to games. The idiot owners get enough money from the fans from the TV contract. For instace. I heard TB is nearly $60M under the salary cap b/c their owner is more focused on the European soccer team he owns. How is it fair for the hard working middle class people in TB to have to spend crazy amounts of cash to line the pockets of an owner who isn't even remotely trying to win? The NFL wants to fill stadiums. Without a blackout rule, you will see half empty stadiums all the time like you do in baseball. Lets not think like a fan here, and think like guys who control it. Its just smart business for them. I mean because of this blackout rule, you see more people now buying tickets to the game in a hurry. Which might still help get it on tv. So they are filling seats, and still might get the game on tv. If there was no blackout rule, I seriously doubt that there would be any chance of this game selling out, but because of the rule there is a chance.
October 15, 200916 yr The NFL wants to fill stadiums. Without a blackout rule, you will see half empty stadiums all the time like you do in baseball. Lets not think like a fan here, and think like guys who control it. Its just smart business for them. I mean because of this blackout rule, you see more people now buying tickets to the game in a hurry. Which might still help get it on tv. So they are filling seats, and still might get the game on tv. If there was no blackout rule, I seriously doubt that there would be any chance of this game selling out, but because of the rule there is a chance. The NFL obviously wants to fill their stadiums. Please don't compare an 81 game home schedule w/ an 8 game schedule. It's totally different. The home baseball games for bad teams that don't sell out are still on TV. Part of that reason is a TV deal. The good teams sell out. Also, have you ever heard of a salary cap? It's a game changer. Especially considering each NFL team gets the same amount of money from the TV deal. Oh and it's a small fortune.
October 15, 200916 yr The NFL obviously wants to fill their stadiums. Please don't compare an 81 game home schedule w/ an 8 game schedule. It's totally different. The home baseball games for bad teams that don't sell out are still on TV. Part of that reason is a TV deal. The good teams sell out. Also, have you ever heard of a salary cap? It's a game changer. Especially considering each NFL team gets the same amount of money from the TV deal. Oh and it's a small fortune. The majority of NFL games usually don't get blacked out. However we see what happens when there is even a chance of a game getting blacked out, people start buying more tickets. So the blackout rule works just like the NFL wants, it helps make sure the stadium gets full, and usually is done in time to lift the blackout. I mean just the threat of the blackout a lone is probably going to be the reason why the Bengals sell this game out. So even though it sucks for us fans, it works great for the NFL. The NFL is a business pure and simple, and from a business stand point its a good policy.
October 16, 200916 yr According to this, the game will be shown in Cincy. And I've always found this site to be correct.
October 16, 200916 yr The majority of NFL games usually don't get blacked out. However we see what happens when there is even a chance of a game getting blacked out, people start buying more tickets. So the blackout rule works just like the NFL wants, it helps make sure the stadium gets full, and usually is done in time to lift the blackout. I mean just the threat of the blackout a lone is probably going to be the reason why the Bengals sell this game out. So even though it sucks for us fans, it works great for the NFL. The NFL is a business pure and simple, and from a business stand point its a good policy. No it isn't. It's a good policy for the owners. It's a terrible policy for the NFL as a whole. The NFL thinks they're invincible and they aren't too long from being proven wrong IMO.
October 16, 200916 yr According to this, the game will be shown in Cincy. And I've always found this site to be correct. JS, that's awesome. I remember you posting that in Week 1 & saying to add that to your bookmark. Well, I did, but it only takes me to week 1. :lol: Your link is pretty sweet. It's cool to see the TV breakdown. Thanks. :thumb:
October 16, 200916 yr JS, that's awesome. I remember you posting that in Week 1 & saying to add that to your bookmark. Well, I did, but it only takes me to week 1. :lol: Your link is pretty sweet. It's cool to see the TV breakdown. Thanks. :thumb: No sweat. It's one of the most useful sites I've ever found for the NFL fan. I always consult it around midweek to determine what my Sunday plans are: whether I'm going to the bar to watch the Steelers, or watching at home.
October 16, 200916 yr According to this, the game will be shown in Cincy. And I've always found this site to be correct. Very interesting. Whats up with the small piece of S. Carolina that has the Pitt/Cleve game.
October 16, 200916 yr Any updates? Chad Ochocinco has tweeted on his Twitter account that the game has sold out. Take it for what's its worth.
October 16, 200916 yr Chad Ochocinco has tweeted on his Twitter account that the game has sold out. Take it for what's its worth. Awesome. Thanks.:thumb:
October 16, 200916 yr http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_news/story/Ochocinco-Says-Bengals-Game-is-Sellout/mIQ8gYXU5UKBong6aZxHSg.cspx Bengal's wide receiver Chad Ochocinco says he has teamed up with Motorola to buy the remaining tickets to Sunday's game at home against the Houston Texans, making it a sellout and lifting the blackout. The team's website has not yet updated to reflect the official decision and the Bengals have not released a statement confirming Ochocinco's statement. But at 1:05 p.m. on his Twitter feed, Chad posted a tweet, saying "Attention: On behalf of Motorola and Esteban Ocho Cinco we've purchased the remaining tickets for Sundays game= no blackout."
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.