October 14, 200916 yr http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63444 My guess is St. Louis and/or Detroit...
October 14, 200916 yr After watching the 12 News last night I do not think it will sell out. They were making a big push saying 2 out of every 3 TV's in Cincinnati have been tuned to the Bengals on Sunday. That's huge advertising revenue for them. They will find a way to get it on TV.
October 14, 200916 yr That the economy isnt the only reason they are struggling to sell out. They have struggled to the wire to sell out in past years but I havent heard the economy as a reason. It was always the fan support in the past. So now that they are winning, it's no longer about the fans and it's the economy's fault? I'm not saying the economy isn't a factor, but I think it's a combination of things that includes the fans If you want to get right down to it the economy is a huge factor. It's not the only factor, but it factors into some of the other factors. Most people that go are season ticket holders. You have to be prepared to block off 8 Sunday's a year to make it to the games. In order to get season tickets you need a PSL. Those are expensive. Middle class families have been priced out. It's $280 just to get a family of 4 in the stadium. That doesn't include the PSL, parking, or food and drinks. On to your point. Some people jsut decided they aren't giving the Brown family their mony any more. I'm in that group. I won't miss the game Sunday. If it's not a sell out I'll be there, but I'm not spending full price before I find out if it's on TV. To say the fans aren't good fans b/c of that is fine, but its hard to support an organization that doesn't try to win. Some people gave him 15 years + to try to change things and he hasn't. If the economy wasn't in the tank this still wouldn't be much of a factor. Another thing is the TV deal. You can spend $300 for 4 tickets in to a stadium or you can spend $300 and get every game in HD on DirecTv. That is an easy choice for most people. It also comes back to money.
October 14, 200916 yr That the economy isnt the only reason they are struggling to sell out. They have struggled to the wire to sell out in past years but I havent heard the economy as a reason. It was always the fan support in the past. So now that they are winning, it's no longer about the fans and it's the economy's fault? You don't have that good of an argument IMO. I mean this team has had one playoff appearance in what 18 years? For the majority of those years they were just horrible teams too. So of coarse fans were not going to buy expensive tickets to go. This sell out streak started in 2003 though didn't it? Which is right when the Bengals actually started doing good and were competitive, and you seen how the fans all started to come out and why it sold out every single time since then. So I don't know how you can say that the Bengals don't have the fan support. I mean I think it was shown by this current sell out streak that when the Bengals are good, the fans do come. If it wasn't for the horrible season last year, then we probably would have already had this game sold out. A lot of people sold their season tickets after last year, and figured this team was going to be bad again for awhile and wasn't worth paying for. So not many season tickets got sold this year, and even though they are doing good now it is very expensive to go to the games. So The economy is a very good excuse for it, because as I said since 2003 when the Bengals became competitive the fans went out to the stadiums, and got them sold out. So why would they do that then, and not now if it wasn't for the money?
October 14, 200916 yr The only 4 games that were a blackout this season have been Jacksonville (twice), Oakland & Detroit...
October 14, 200916 yr Sunday's game is likely to be a blackout: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/10/14/looking-like-a-blackout/ Columbus has already decided to show Cleveland / Pittsburgh.
October 14, 200916 yr http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/10/14/the-return-of-nfl-blackouts-101/ We did it before the season opener against Denver, but for those who missed it, we present the return of NFL Blackouts 101. If the game is not sold out by 1 p.m. on Thursday (72 hours prior to kickoff) and the Bengals do not get a 24-hour extension, the game will be blacked out within a 75-mile radius of Paul Brown Stadium, which includes Cincinnati (Ch. 12), Dayton (Ch. 7) and Lexington (Ch. 27). For you folks in Lexington, even though the station tower is 75 miles beyond Paul Brown Stadium, you are blacked out too because you are considered a Bengals primary market. Even if you have the NFL Sunday Ticket and you live within the radius, the game will be blacked out (if you’re a Bengals fan in say, Houston, you’re safe). The only way to see it in the area would be at 12:01 a.m. on Monday when NFL.com will make the broadcast available for 72 hours. And for those hoping that Channel 12 comes in at the last moment and buys all the tickets, there are too many available at the moment. Even if all the tickets were in the lowest-costing levels, Channel 12 would have to spend over $300,000 to buy those seats. The folks at Channel 12 have a number in mind, but it isn’t one. It is well under 1,000. Your only options to see the game after a blackout is imposed? Drive to a sports bar in Columbus or Louisville, hope one of your friends outside of a 75-mile radius has a Slingbox and DirecTV with The Sunday Ticket (so you can watch it on your computer) or try finding another outlet to watch the game on the computer (which will mean getting resourceful). Otherwise it’s get ready for our live chat at Cincinnati.Com at 1 p.m. on Sunday along with listening to the game on the radio with Brad and Lap on WLW 700-AM, 1530 Homer and WEBN 102.5-FM,
October 14, 200916 yr If they cared about not getting blacked out they would drop prices. Then I would buy some. Until then they can keep 'em. Why not do the soldier thing they did last time? That was awesome and I'm sure a tax write off. Whatever atleast then Brown would get concession sales from them. He won't even get that now.
October 15, 200916 yr If they cared about not getting blacked out they would drop prices. Then I would buy some. Until then they can keep 'em. Why not do the soldier thing they did last time? That was awesome and I'm sure a tax write off. Whatever atleast then Brown would get concession sales from them. He won't even get that now. The blackout rule sucks for us fans, but its smart for the business wise. I mean if us fans know the game is going to be blacked out, your probably going to fine people then buying tickets to go to the game so they can see the game. With the Bengals doing well this year, I bet the game would end up sold out come kickoff time. Even though that won't matter for tv. It sucks for us fans, but its a smart thing to do to try to get as many fans as they can to the stadium still. I know I already have tickets to this game, but if I didn't I know I would probably go buy some if I found it it was going to be blacked out.
October 15, 200916 yr The blackout rule sucks for us fans, but its smart for the business wise. I mean if us fans know the game is going to be blacked out, your probably going to fine people then buying tickets to go to the game so they can see the game. With the Bengals doing well this year, I bet the game would end up sold out come kickoff time. Even though that won't matter for tv. It sucks for us fans, but its a smart thing to do to try to get as many fans as they can to the stadium still. I know I already have tickets to this game, but if I didn't I know I would probably go buy some if I found it it was going to be blacked out. The blackout rule is a dated rule. It's from over 30 years ago. It makes no sense to reward idiot owners by forcing fans to go to games. The idiot owners get enough money from the fans from the TV contract. For instace. I heard TB is nearly $60M under the salary cap b/c their owner is more focused on the European soccer team he owns. How is it fair for the hard working middle class people in TB to have to spend crazy amounts of cash to line the pockets of an owner who isn't even remotely trying to win?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.