July 28, 200917 yr My guess is that I'm older than you so "younger people" doesn't apply to all. We'll see a decent at best initial interest and then ghost town unless his food is outstanding which will allow him to get a few people from Campbell Co. No one is going to go out of their way from Boone,Kenton, or Cincy to go there more than once. Acts like the Everly Brothers were big - in the 50s. I guess it doesn't apply because I wasn't referring to you specifically. If you are older than me, then you should know the history of the place and that this concept has worked there before. Also, they plan on having, not JUST 50's music, but music from the 60's 70's and even 80's. Let's just see what happens.
July 29, 200917 yr I guess it doesn't apply because I wasn't referring to you specifically. If you are older than me, then you should know the history of the place and that this concept has worked there before. Also, they plan on having, not JUST 50's music, but music from the 60's 70's and even 80's. Let's just see what happens. Correct! Steve isn't dumb enough to think that 50s only will bring in crowds. If he plays his cards right with entertainment, this place could be very successful and he won't have to worry about the menu so much. It's always a gamble, but I really hope this is a huge success.
July 29, 200917 yr My guess is that I'm older than you so "younger people" doesn't apply to all. We'll see a decent at best initial interest and then ghost town unless his food is outstanding which will allow him to get a few people from Campbell Co. No one is going to go out of their way from Boone,Kenton, or Cincy to go there more than once. Acts like the Everly Brothers were big - in the 50s. Wow, I didn't know that you could speak for everyone in Boone, Kenton or Cincy. A tad bit arrogant, but impressive. I remember your posts in re the prior thread on this place. Why are you so down on it? I think it has a better than decent shot to survive. I personally think that a place like this fills a needed entertainment vacumn. As to those that point to past failures at that location, please keep in mind that Alexandria in particular and middle/southern Campbell County in general is growing and is expected to explode with residential development as the econony improves. Drees and Fischer were scheduled to build hundreds of homes in/near Alexandria until the economy went in the crapper. When that residential development happens, it will make a huge difference in the economic viability of this place.
July 29, 200917 yr Wow, I didn't know that you could speak for everyone in Boone, Kenton or Cincy. A tad bit arrogant, but impressive. I remember your posts in re the prior thread on this place. Why are you so down on it? I think it has a better than decent shot to survive. I personally think that a place like this fills a needed entertainment vacumn. As to those that point to past failures at that location, please keep in mind that Alexandria in particular and middle/southern Campbell County in general is growing and is expected to explode with residential development as the econony improves. Drees and Fischer were scheduled to build hundreds of homes in/near Alexandria until the economy went in the crapper. When that residential development happens, it will make a huge difference in the economic viability of this place. So you believe that people from Burlington, Hebron, Erlanger, Hyde Park, Oakley, Ludlow, and Clifton are going to drive to this place? No chance. (While I shouldn't have to make this comment I will: I'm talking rule not exception.) Unless the food is simply unique and outstanding there are way too many choices for people , including the fine folks in Campbell County, to go to in area that offers something more (proximity, choices for entertainment, variety). You CANNOT get a regular crowd for live entertainment that is not geared to the younger crowd unless you're a place like the Southgate House which owns that market. People in their 40s, 50, and 60s are not going to show up regularly and that's what is needed for a business. When your market is limited (and no 20s and 30s people are going to this place) you have to count on repeat business. All of the factors I listed preclude this from happening. I think its a bad business decision unless Steve has money to burn. If that's arrogant....so be it. I give opinions. Its how I roll. For the record, I hope it works as it will benefit everyone. I just don't think it has a chance.
July 29, 200917 yr Correct! Steve isn't dumb enough to think that 50s only will bring in crowds. If he plays his cards right with entertainment, this place could be very successful and he won't have to worry about the menu so much. It's always a gamble, but I really hope this is a huge success. Interested in your thoughts on what type of entertainment he should have and why you think that will allow him to be successful.
July 30, 200917 yr Interested in your thoughts on what type of entertainment he should have and why you think that will allow him to be successful.Steve's a smart guy. He will do everything he can to get top notch entertainment for folks in their mid 30s on up, also there are those that are younger that like older music and older acts. He knows what type of acts are successful and which ones aren't. It really isn't that hard if he does his homework. Now, do I know for sure this will work out? No, but knowing Steve and his entertainment knowledge, I won't bet against him.
July 30, 200917 yr So you believe that people from Burlington, Hebron, Erlanger, Hyde Park, Oakley, Ludlow, and Clifton are going to drive to this place? No chance. (While I shouldn't have to make this comment I will: I'm talking rule not exception.) You CANNOT get a regular crowd for live entertainment that is not geared to the younger crowd unless you're a place like the Southgate House which owns that market. People in their 40s, 50, and 60s are not going to show up regularly and that's what is needed for a business. When your market is limited (and no 20s and 30s people are going to this place) you have to count on repeat business. All of the factors I listed preclude this from happening. People from the cities you listed will flock there, if it's marketed wisely, and run well. I think it will be both. To say you can't get crowds for live entertainment unless they're in their 20's is not right. If you don't believe me, I invite you to take in a group called The Hot Wax Show when they play the Cold Spring Cruise-in on August 8. We went last year, and this group--doing music from the 50's, 60's and a little touch of the 70's--drew a an enormous audiance, which filled up an outdoor area the size of a football field; It was jammed. And these guys play a regular sell-out gig at a local club, not far from here. This is just one example.
July 30, 200917 yr I talked to a couple friends that have went, and they said it will be their last trip. Didn't get into specifics, but they said it wasn't that fun....:idunno:
July 30, 200917 yr People from the cities you listed will flock there, if it's marketed wisely, and run well. I think it will be both. To say you can't get crowds for live entertainment unless they're in their 20's is not right. If you don't believe me, I invite you to take in a group called The Hot Wax Show when they play the Cold Spring Cruise-in on August 8. We went last year, and this group--doing music from the 50's, 60's and a little touch of the 70's--drew a an enormous audiance, which filled up an outdoor area the size of a football field; It was jammed. And these guys play a regular sell-out gig at a local club, not far from here. This is just one example. If this place lasts two years, I'll buy you and LN a cheeseburger at the place. What is a "sell out gig" as far as numbers? And how regular is it? Your "cruise in" example fails to impress me. I've seen many very well-attended cruise-ins that had ZERO entertainment. They get crowds because they all love to get together and look at their cars. You could have a ukelele player there and you'd still have a big crowd.
July 30, 200917 yr I talked to a couple friends that have went, and they said it will be their last trip. Didn't get into specifics, but they said it wasn't that fun....:idunno: Their age?
July 30, 200917 yr If this place lasts two years, I'll buy you and LN a cheeseburger at the place. What is a "sell out gig" as far as numbers? And how regular is it? Your "cruise in" example fails to impress me. I've seen many very well-attended cruise-ins that had ZERO entertainment. They get crowds because they all love to get together and look at their cars. You could have a ukelele player there and you'd still have a big crowd. I give up! :ohbrother: Classic rock groups, like it or not, are immensely popular. LN and I accept your offer. And if it closes before then, we'll treat you to the seniors' special at the Golden Corral. :thumb:
July 30, 200917 yr There wasn't much in the way of live entertainment back when the original Guys N Dolls was in its heyday. GND attracted the younger crowd who partied to the loud live music out on the back patio, and did a lot of smoochin' and under-aged drinking inside. I understand that visits to the upstairs apartment led to more extra-curriculars. The Granada Inn further north on 27 was more upscale, and the GND didn't have all that much competition. Bellewood Lanes hadn't started their run of live entertainment yet, and Coney still had Moonlight Gardens for the older set. Presently Barleycorn's seems set with the college crowd, the St. Joe, Brossart, and NCC folks filling the place with great regularity - that won't change. GND is going to have to compete with O'Charlies, Marguarita's, Longhorn's Applebees and places like that for thier slice of the pie, and I can't see them succeeding as a dance club. My gut feeling says No!
July 30, 200917 yr So you believe that people from Burlington, Hebron, Erlanger, Hyde Park, Oakley, Ludlow, and Clifton are going to drive to this place? No chance. (While I shouldn't have to make this comment I will: I'm talking rule not exception.) Unless the food is simply unique and outstanding there are way too many choices for people , including the fine folks in Campbell County, to go to in area that offers something more (proximity, choices for entertainment, variety). You CANNOT get a regular crowd for live entertainment that is not geared to the younger crowd unless you're a place like the Southgate House which owns that market. People in their 40s, 50, and 60s are not going to show up regularly and that's what is needed for a business. When your market is limited (and no 20s and 30s people are going to this place) you have to count on repeat business. All of the factors I listed preclude this from happening. I think its a bad business decision unless Steve has money to burn. If that's arrogant....so be it. I give opinions. Its how I roll. For the record, I hope it works as it will benefit everyone. I just don't think it has a chance. Sure I do. I drive to Boone County to eat dinner at a restaurant, passing by many a better restaurant on the way. I simply enjoy the diversity of going different places. If this guy has decent food and brings in some acts that appeals to the 50 and 60 year old folks, it can survive. I'm not guaranteeing it will make tons a money the way you are guaranteeing it will be a bust, but I think it could fill a niche demand and survive. PS. the tongue in cheek and clowning around comment (hence the in the post) about arrogance had nothing to do with your opinion on the viability of the restaurant; but rather dealt with the factual statement you made that no one (which of course means not one person) from Boone, Kenton or Cincy was going to go out of their way to try this place more than once. I just thought it was funny that you knew how all those folks were going to act.:ylsuper:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.