July 27, 200917 yr Is that at all similar to the fact that some people choose to live in a rural setting, which may limit opportunities ? Using your logic, than some choose to go to a private school and accept aid over the amount they are allowed which may limit opportunities.
July 27, 200917 yr The one that jumps out at me right now is Euton. The Euton decision was not over turned by the courts. The KHSAA, in their final action, ruled the kid eligible and he played.
July 27, 200917 yr Using your logic, than some choose to go to a private school and accept aid over the amount they are allowed which may limit opportunities. Not sure what my logic is???? Just pointing out that if you are going to insist that this child has a 3rd option, then I am going to insist that every rural school child has another option too (and it doesn't involve additional rules or regulations for a choice they have made).
July 28, 200917 yr I love the voucher idea and with our third kiddo on the way, I hope that's the way we end up going....at this point I'll have about 6-7 years of two kids in private high school at the same time, and will definitely have 3 kids (likely another as well) in private school for 10+ years all at the same time...I would love to be able to use some of my tax dollars towards their tuition...as it stands now I am looking at nearly $25K/year in tuition.....that's with today's rates, let alone what it will be when my three kiddos are older.
July 29, 200917 yr I love the voucher idea and with our third kiddo on the way, I hope that's the way we end up going....at this point I'll have about 6-7 years of two kids in private high school at the same time, and will definitely have 3 kids (likely another as well) in private school for 10+ years all at the same time...I would love to be able to use some of my tax dollars towards their tuition...as it stands now I am looking at nearly $25K/year in tuition.....that's with today's rates, let alone what it will be when my three kiddos are older. Thank goodness my three are now out of college and on their own. They went through Catholic schools K-16. I suggest you start drinking heavily now.
July 29, 200917 yr I figure that It cost us apprrximately $40,000,for my three kids to attend NCC over 12 straight years ( 1994 / 2006 ) and it was worth every penny of it !
August 5, 200917 yr I've said for years that parents are legally and morally responsible for their children up to age 18. They should have the right and responsibility to place their children anywhere they want for whatever reasons they deem appropriate. I think this is the basis for the legislators kicking down Proposition 2 (an attempt to restrict a student's participation in the high school his/her parents selected. This doesn't pass the legal smell test.
August 5, 200917 yr I've said for years that parents are legally and morally responsible for their children up to age 18. They should have the right and responsibility to place their children anywhere they want for whatever reasons they deem appropriate. I think this is the basis for the legislators kicking down Proposition 2 (an attempt to restrict a student's participation in the high school his/her parents selected. This doesn't pass the legal smell test. Than they and not the schools should be responsible for the education of their child and the test scores of that child? And again, I am all for vouchers.
August 5, 200917 yr Author Than they and not the schools should be responsible for the education of their child and the test scores of that child? And again, I am all for vouchers. Question...you're all for vouchers (nothing to do to earn them), but against scholastically earned finacial aid? That doesn't make sense to me.
August 5, 200917 yr Question...you're all for vouchers (nothing to do to earn them), but against scholastically earned finacial aid? That doesn't make sense to me. When asked previous about the scholastically earned financial aid, this was my reply.... Not being fully aware of them I would be uncomfortable saying a firm yes or no. I am not sure that I ever stated that I was against it. There is a difference between the two, though, as I understand them. Vouchers represent the tax dollars that the government would be given to the school districts representing the child. The financial aid would come from the school, arm of the school, body supportive of the school and could ONLY be used for attendance at THAT SCHOOL. The possibility of financial enticement to attend a particular school for financial reasons would be much greater through financial aid than it would be for vouchers. Wouldn't it?
August 5, 200917 yr I have a few questions I want to make sure I am clear on; 1. The KHSAA is the governing body over high school sports? 2. In order to be a member of the KHSAA you have to agree to their set of Bylaws and pay a membership fee? 3. There are board members on the KHSAA board from private and public schools? 4. Every member school has one vote on rule changes? 5. They changed the rule to 25% makes you unable to play? 6. The family is upset because their child can not play high school sports because they receive scholarship money? 7. Attending private school is a choice of this family? 8. They can give the money up and their child can play? Okay Now unless I have mis-read some of the article, some of the post in this thread, and the bylaws of the KHSAA. the answer to these 8 questions is all YES. So if I look at these questions the parents need to blame themselves for their child not playing. See the world is about choices. They choose to attend a private school. They choose to accept money to attend school. So if you want to play you need to make the right CHOICE and pay your own way. You can't have your cake and eat it too. A couple of quick points to make... 1) Your "questions" were in fact statements made with question marks at the end instead of periods. 2) I am not complaining about the KHSAA at all - they really do a great job. However, as a rebuttal to your first & second "questions": the KHSAA is the only managing body over Kentucky high school athletics, and if a school wants to compete in high school athletics, they effectively have to join or else they're out of luck. Therefore, the schools join the KHSAA. 3) In response to your third, fourth and fifth "questions", check the KHSAA membership directory...there are more public schools than private schools. The voting is pretty obviously going to tend towards benefiting public schools...not that any public school athletic director would ever try to stick it to a private school (please note my sarcasm). 4) In response to your sixth and seventh "questions", yes, your statements were correct. The punctuation, however, was incorrect. 5) In response to your eighth "question", I ask you this: Wouldn't you be upset had you worked your butt off and received a scholarship to a private university...let's say, the University of Notre Dame...but then you were completely barred from trying to walk on with any of their athletic teams? I know I certainly would be. This is essentially the same situation. Think about it. Edited August 5, 200917 yr by Colonels_Wear_Blue
August 6, 200917 yr Author When asked previous about the scholastically earned financial aid, this was my reply.... Not being fully aware of them I would be uncomfortable saying a firm yes or no. I am not sure that I ever stated that I was against it. There is a difference between the two, though, as I understand them. Vouchers represent the tax dollars that the government would be given to the school districts representing the child. The financial aid would come from the school, arm of the school, body supportive of the school and could ONLY be used for attendance at THAT SCHOOL. The possibility of financial enticement to attend a particular school for financial reasons would be much greater through financial aid than it would be for vouchers. Wouldn't it? You freely admit you don't know how the scholastic awards are granted. Yet, you presume to hold a bias against such awards. It's ok to take the money the government grants a public school for a child and pay the private school in your opinion, yet not OK for PRIVATELY FUNDED academic scholarships? I am COMPLETELY not getting the scenario here. Not at all. How is it any more "ethical"? How is it any more fair for a child to take his/her public school dollars to a private school and play sports than it is to allow a child to accept a SCHOLARSHIP they EARNED? I am flabbergasted, I have to tell you.
August 6, 200917 yr You freely admit you don't know how the scholastic awards are granted. Yet, you presume to hold a bias against such awards. It's ok to take the money the government grants a public school for a child and pay the private school in your opinion, yet not OK for PRIVATELY FUNDED academic scholarships? I am COMPLETELY not getting the scenario here. Not at all. How is it any more "ethical"? How is it any more fair for a child to take his/her public school dollars to a private school and play sports than it is to allow a child to accept a SCHOLARSHIP they EARNED? I am flabbergasted, I have to tell you. Okay, as I have stated twice, I don't know enough about merit scholarships to take a firm yes or no stand on it. I have reread the thread and see nowhere I have done that. If a student earns something academically, I could understand them being allowed to accept that. I can also understand how SOME will use that as a cover to give money to athletes to bring them to that particular school. And unfortunately the old saying of one bad apple spoils it for the whole bunch comes into play. HS athletics over and over has become a place where a few adults ON BOTH SIDES ruin it for kids on BOTH SIDES!!!!!
August 7, 200917 yr Author Okay, as I have stated twice, I don't know enough about merit scholarships to take a firm yes or no stand on it. I have reread the thread and see nowhere I have done that. If a student earns something academically, I could understand them being allowed to accept that. I can also understand how SOME will use that as a cover to give money to athletes to bring them to that particular school. And unfortunately the old saying of one bad apple spoils it for the whole bunch comes into play. HS athletics over and over has become a place where a few adults ON BOTH SIDES ruin it for kids on BOTH SIDES!!!!! I think it would benefit you to learn about academic awards. The liklihood of a cover utilizing an academic award is far less than the liklihood of a cover using a voucher.
August 7, 200917 yr I think it would benefit you to learn about academic awards. The liklihood of a cover utilizing an academic award is far less than the liklihood of a cover using a voucher. Okay, I don't see that. Am I right in the following assumptions. The voucher is money from the government to the parents to use at any school of the PARENT'S choosing. The merit aid comes from a school to the parents to use only for attendance at said school. Is this correct? If so, there is no enticement from the school through the vouchers but would be through the merit aid.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.