Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Private-school eligibility rules challenged

Featured Replies

Not being fully aware of them I would be uncomfortable saying a firm yes or no.

 

What I could see is who determines the merit of them?

 

I think LCA got in trouble because a church wanted to do an outreach and pay for a member of a local community to attend LCA. I think that is great idea for a church to outreach in that way. I think they all should.

 

To make sure it is on the up and up seems to be a logistic nightmare for all the different schools in the state.

 

I've said for years that if the KHSAA wants to put a stop to "recruiting" all they have to do is put a couple (or whatever number is deemed proper) of full-time, WELL TRAINED investigators on their payroll to check out every PROPERLY TURNED IN & VALIDATED report of supposed recruiting by a school, whether it be private or public. That would be the ONLY job performed by those folks, and their salaries and expenses would seem to be chump change compared to if the KHSAA were hit by a multi-million dollar judgement against them for a lawsuit. If all of the "recruiting" goes on that people claim goes on, it would seem that the investigators would have plenty to keep them busy.

  • Replies 91
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said for years that if the KHSAA wants to put a stop to "recruiting" all they have to do is put a couple (or whatever number is deemed proper) of full-time, WELL TRAINED investigators on their payroll to check out every PROPERLY TURNED IN & VALIDATED report of supposed recruiting by a school, whether it be private or public. That would be the ONLY job performed by those folks, and their salaries and expenses would seem to be chump change compared to if the KHSAA were hit by a multi-million dollar judgement against them for a lawsuit. If all of the "recruiting" goes on that people claim goes on, it would seem that the investigators would have plenty to keep them busy.

 

Another solution would be just to have open enrollment and let parents send their children to any school that they choose for any reason that they like.

Another solution would be just to have open enrollment and let parents send their children to any school that they choose for any reason that they like.

 

Except in rural schools that would mean nothing.

Urban schools it has an effect.

Everything is not about just the urban area.

  • Author
Not being fully aware of them I would be uncomfortable saying a firm yes or no.

 

What I could see is who determines the merit of them?

 

I think LCA got in trouble because a church wanted to do an outreach and pay for a member of a local community to attend LCA. I think that is great idea for a church to outreach in that way. I think they all should.

 

To make sure it is on the up and up seems to be a logistic nightmare for all the different schools in the state.

 

 

Merit based is earned, not given. Placement test scores are the first determining criteria for most, if not all.

 

The "merit" is the kids' work.

 

The kind of aid you outline that got LCA in trouble was based on income, not test scores.

 

With merit "aid", the family doesn't even have to qualify for need-based aid in many cases.

 

This is about the student academically, not athletically. Athletic scholarships are already prohibited. Now, restrictions are being placed on students that will likely prohibit them from playing sports if they earn merit based scholarships. We wouldn't want our athletes to perform well in the classroom, now would we. :rolleyes:

 

And before it's stated again that they could choose to play in a public school, that's exactly the unintended consequences. It can force a student athlete who excels academically to have to choose public school if they want to continue to play the sport they love.

 

I guess in the end, the public schools would benefit if most student-athletes chose public school over private school.

 

I won't go into the rest of the bitter taste I have for this rule.

 

And before it's stated again that they could choose to play in a public school, that's exactly the unintended consequences. It can force a student athlete who excels academically to have to choose public school if they want to continue to play the sport they love.

 

I guess in the end, the public schools would benefit if most student-athletes chose public school over private school.

 

I won't go into the rest of the bitter taste I have for this rule.

 

I must disagree with you. It isn't an unintended consequence. It is exactly the point of the rule.

  • Author
I must disagree with you. It isn't an unintended consequence. It is exactly the point of the rule.

 

 

I wasn't ready to go "there". :lol: But, to be completely candid, I agree with YOU.:thumb:

Wasn't the 25% of tuition paid as an "academic scholarship"? If a private school offers this to all students why should an athlete be punished for doing well in the classroom? Before you hammer me, I know why the rule is in effect. I understand how the schools can hand out money to get athletes to play for them. I am having a hard time with a kid having to turn down money for her academics just because she plays a sport. By the way, where did she go to school prior to this year?

  • Author
Wasn't the 25% of tuition paid as an "academic scholarship"? If a private school offers this to all students why should an athlete be punished for doing well in the classroom? Before you hammer me, I know why the rule is in effect. I understand how the schools can hand out money to get athletes to play for them. I am having a hard time with a kid having to turn down money for her academics just because she plays a sport. By the way, where did she go to school prior to this year?

 

 

Not sure which, but the article mentions that she graduated from a parish school.

Where she went to grade school is not the issue to me. I just think that if her academic standards qualified her for the same monies given to any other student with the equivalent academic standing, then why should her athletic standing be affected. If they were just paying for her tuition to attend, that is different. JMO.

  • Author
Where she went to grade school is not the issue to me. I just think that if her academic standards qualified her for the same monies given to any other student with the equivalent academic standing, then why should her athletic standing be affected. If they were just paying for her tuition to attend, that is different. JMO.

 

 

As she's just a freshman, where she went to gradeschool is particularly irrelevant. In Louisville, the parish schools are K-8. So, there's no middle school involved. I was just trying to answer the question. Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Sorry I never look at this thread.

  • Author
Sorry I never look at this thread.

 

:thumb: We created this forum to keep the sports forums for their respective sports. This way, this stuff hopefully doesn't invade the great football discussions. :D

It must not be a need based scholarship otherwise why would you file suit?

  • Author
It must not be a need based scholarship otherwise why would you file suit?

 

I'm not sure I understand....:confused:

I think that limits on merit based aid are flat out wrong and are intended to be punative. Can anyone give me one good reason to limit merit based aid.

 

 

What constitutes merit based aid? Who sets the standards the individual school?

 

What if the standards are not hard to achieve? Then a lot of students would qualify. Then they could give it to those that they would like to attend. I.E. recruit with lowered tuition or no tuition at all.

 

I know that at some schools the work study programs are handed out however the school seems fit. Which means they get to pick and choose who receives the aid.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.