Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ricardo Johnson

Featured Replies

With Guys like Vee Sandford going to Gtown and then guys like John Hood going to UK, what would be a good fit for Ricardo. Im thinking he is a SEC/ACC type of player. Maybe a smaller school in one of these conferences but I'd think he's going to be seeing much better offers than Marshall and Ohio correct?

 

Where would he play in the SEC/ACC? He's not a 1 at that level and I don't think his outside game is strong enough to be a 2.

 

MVC/MAC is a great fit for him. I think he can excel there.

  • Replies 92
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Where would he play in the SEC/ACC? He's not a 1 at that level and I don't think his outside game is strong enough to be a 2.

 

MVC/MAC is a great fit for him. I think he can excel there.

Agreed and have felt that way for a while. He's getting the offers that, at least for now, fit him perfectly...

I think WKU, Butler, Miami(OH), Dayton, and Marshall would all be good fits IMO and would not be far from home for him. Thats just my 2 cents.

Where would he play in the SEC/ACC? He's not a 1 at that level and I don't think his outside game is strong enough to be a 2.

 

MVC/MAC is a great fit for him. I think he can excel there.

 

Vee Sanford isn't exactly a good outside shooter, but he's going to Gerorgetown.

 

Right now his outside jumper needs work, but its not like he cant shoot the ball. He has a great mid range game. I think he would be better at the small forward position. He is a tremendus athlete with length. Ricardo has a good all around game, not to mention he has great defense.

 

I believe he can play at a bigtime school, but if a smaller school suites him better than Ricardo will go there.

Other than Memphis and UAB C-USA is a basketball wasteland. MVC is not a low major conference. I would argue that they would be a high mid major. MVC has more depth than the A-10.

 

I hope the kid gets a some high major offers but it seems at this point that those types of offers are not coming. He has been on the radar for a couple of years so he is not a late bloomer type that could be seen as climbing the charts

 

Lets have this argument then. Make your case.

 

The MVC had 5 teams that had winning records. The A-10 had 9 teams with winning records. The A-10 had 5 teams with win percentages better than 61%. The MVC had only 3 teams above 61%.

 

The A-10 also has more teams, which can add for the potential of competition and talent.

 

So much for the depth argument.

 

As for the MVC being a top 10 conference... I cant really argue that. However, if they are a top 10 conference then the A-10 would have to be a top 9 conference. The A-10 is a better conference than the MVC.

 

The C-USA is rather weak, but if you talk about exposure, the average college basketball fan has heard of, or knows about the C-USA more than they know about the MVC.

 

As I have said time and time again, I would like to see Rico compete in a more competitive conference. I dont think the MVC is bad, I just dont think its as good as some of the others. Also as I have stated, any D-1 offer is a good offer.

Where would he play in the SEC/ACC? He's not a 1 at that level and I don't think his outside game is strong enough to be a 2.

 

MVC/MAC is a great fit for him. I think he can excel there.

 

Someone had once stated that Rico could fit in at a smaller school in the ACC or even the SEC... I just think he could make it happen with a team like virginia, virginia tech, possibly with miami. In the SEC maybe a vanderbilt, or Ole Miss.

 

Now obviously he would have to be a 4 year guy, but there ARE still those kind of guys left. They dont always come in and contribute right away, but for guys who have high potential ceilings, they accelerate themselves in terms of their game and knowledge in the big conferences at the big schools.

 

He could also play in the PAC-10, Big East, Big 10, Big 12... take your pick. There are lots of schools that are "BCS" schools that could use his services.

 

Plus, I think he could be a PG/SG at any of these schools. And, you make it seem like he cant improve his jumpshot in the next 2 years.

 

Again, the offers he has are great for him, I am glad. But, I think he can get more, better offers.

  • Author
Someone had once stated that Rico could fit in at a smaller school in the ACC or even the SEC... I just think he could make it happen with a team like virginia, virginia tech, possibly with miami. In the SEC maybe a vanderbilt, or Ole Miss.

 

Now obviously he would have to be a 4 year guy, but there ARE still those kind of guys left. They dont always come in and contribute right away, but for guys who have high potential ceilings, they accelerate themselves in terms of their game and knowledge in the big conferences at the big schools.

 

He could also play in the PAC-10, Big East, Big 10, Big 12... take your pick. There are lots of schools that are "BCS" schools that could use his services.

 

Plus, I think he could be a PG/SG at any of these schools. And, you make it seem like he cant improve his jumpshot in the next 2 years.

 

Again, the offers he has are great for him, I am glad. But, I think he can get more, better offers.

A few names with local ties come to mind when looking at this thought process. Guys like Dante Jackson at X and Dion Dixon at UC and it has been clear to me that Rico is at least one step below that level of recruit. Both were considered good, but far from great entering big time D1 ball and yet they have both made huge strides in advancing their game. I 100% think Rico gan get to that level, but I have not seen it just yet.

 

His best chance at playing at a BCS school is to hold off until the late signing period and prove in his SR season that he has advanced his game to that level...

Someone had once stated that Rico could fit in at a smaller school in the ACC or even the SEC... I just think he could make it happen with a team like virginia, virginia tech, possibly with miami. In the SEC maybe a vanderbilt, or Ole Miss.

 

Now obviously he would have to be a 4 year guy, but there ARE still those kind of guys left. They dont always come in and contribute right away, but for guys who have high potential ceilings, they accelerate themselves in terms of their game and knowledge in the big conferences at the big schools.

 

He could also play in the PAC-10, Big East, Big 10, Big 12... take your pick. There are lots of schools that are "BCS" schools that could use his services.

 

Plus, I think he could be a PG/SG at any of these schools. And, you make it seem like he cant improve his jumpshot in the next 2 years.

 

 

Again, the offers he has are great for him, I am glad. But, I think he can get more, better offers.

 

In my opinion the offers he is receiving are a pretty good reflection of where his game is at this time.

 

There are other factors to consider as well such as admissions requirements. It's great to say he has the skill level to play at Vandy or Virginia but these schools have a tougher admissions requirement than a lot of D1 schools. You have to find the right school for the athlete athletically, academically and socially.

How strong is the interest from WKU? One would think this could be a great fit.

 

Has Xavier shown any interest?

A few names with local ties come to mind when looking at this thought process. Guys like Dante Jackson at X and Dion Dixon at UC and it has been clear to me that Rico is at least one step below that level of recruit. Both were considered good, but far from great entering big time D1 ball and yet they have both made huge strides in advancing their game. I 100% think Rico gan get to that level, but I have not seen it just yet.

 

His best chance at playing at a BCS school is to hold off until the late signing period and prove in his SR season that he has advanced his game to that level...

 

You know better than most, so I'll direct this to you. Do you believe that he is a level below right now based on talent, or is it lack of numbers? Rico seems to let the game come to him more than any talented player that I've seen, almost to the point that he can disappear on offense for pretty good stretches. When it is time to take over he does, and his lack of ego, in my opinion, is what gets Holmes to mesh. I just wonder if his personal sacrifice to team glory has contributed to his lack of major offers at this time, or is it that he is a Mid-major recruit talent wise? (Either way, he'll be D1, have his education paid for, and a step up in playing professionally down the road.)

A few names with local ties come to mind when looking at this thought process. Guys like Dante Jackson at X and Dion Dixon at UC and it has been clear to me that Rico is at least one step below that level of recruit. Both were considered good, but far from great entering big time D1 ball and yet they have both made huge strides in advancing their game. I 100% think Rico gan get to that level, but I have not seen it just yet.

 

His best chance at playing at a BCS school is to hold off until the late signing period and prove in his SR season that he has advanced his game to that level...

 

And I agree with this. Im not saying that I think he should have a major offer right now, I have just been saying I think he can get there. The kid has a lot of potential that he has left to tap into.

Don't be surprised if Billy G gets a job after this season and Elijiah or Ricardo follow him. He was a big fan of the Holmes team and the defense they played.

  • Author
You know better than most, so I'll direct this to you. Do you believe that he is a level below right now based on talent, or is it lack of numbers? Rico seems to let the game come to him more than any talented player that I've seen, almost to the point that he can disappear on offense for pretty good stretches. When it is time to take over he does, and his lack of ego, in my opinion, is what gets Holmes to mesh. I just wonder if his personal sacrifice to team glory has contributed to his lack of major offers at this time, or is it that he is a Mid-major recruit talent wise? (Either way, he'll be D1, have his education paid for, and a step up in playing professionally down the road.)

 

I think his talent level is simply at the mid-major level right now. It's at the higher end of that level, and can continue upward, but that's where I think he fits in at this point...

  • Author
Don't be surprised if Billy G gets a job after this season and Elijiah or Ricardo follow him. He was a big fan of the Holmes team and the defense they played.

 

Elijiah has zero chance of playing D1 ball in 2010...

How strong is the interest from WKU? One would think this could be a great fit.

 

Has Xavier shown any interest?

 

He has an offer from WKU and he was being recruited, by Chris Mack, who is now the head coach for Xavier.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.