Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Official Microphones

Featured Replies

Raceland began, two years ago, providing the referee with a wireless microphone to announce penalties. It has been a nice addition to the high school game. I know the fans and coaching like it. It's nice for the fans to know what the call is, for those who are not familiar with the hand signals. I don't think the players like having their number called out for everyone to hear, but nonetheless it has added to the game.

 

My questions are: how many other schools mic the officials? Has it become common? We haven't played at any other stadium that has done this.

I have not seen or heard of this taking place anywhere in the central Kentucky area.

I think they have tried it some at the SOC in Hopkinsville. Of course, they do it at the state finals also

I haven't seen this done anywhere else...there are times when I'd like to know what on earth the referees are calling...some of the signalling by some of the refs are, to say the least, a little bit - shall we say - "creative". :rolleyes:

Western Hills did this some time ago, not sure that they still do so. Thought that Central Hardin had done it once or twice as well. If i were an official, I am not sure I would like this. Multiple penalties in a given play along with some fans not really haveing any idea of what a penalty is and how it's enforced may only be more confused. Just a thought.

Owensboro Catholic has used this at their new stadium which they share with KWC.

Western Hills did this some time ago, not sure that they still do so. Thought that Central Hardin had done it once or twice as well. If i were an official, I am not sure I would like this. Multiple penalties in a given play along with some fans not really haveing any idea of what a penalty is and how it's enforced may only be more confused. Just a thought.

 

I do not ever remember Western Hills doing this! Tell me when if you can. I have been to a few games every year for a long time. :idunno:

I don't think the players like having their number called out for everyone to hear, but nonetheless it has added to the game.

 

Why are they calling out numbers of players? Unless they changed things past a few confrences in NCAA that is an NFL thing. HS officals do not call out the number of the player when doing the hand signal. Now they will tell the coach when he asks but past that there is no reason to do it.

 

I do like the idea but it does open some issues between hand and mouth.

  • Author

I don't see a problem with giving the numbers for penalties. Why not, if is possible? Plus, there was less time with official walking over and telling the coach the number of the offender.

I don't see a problem with giving the numbers for penalties. Why not, if is possible? Plus, there was less time with official walking over and telling the coach the number of the offender.

 

I don't remember hearing anyone's number being called by the officials at Raceland. Maybe they were but I don't recall it.

  • Author
I don't remember hearing anyone's number being called by the officials at Raceland. Maybe they were but I don't recall it.

Watch the game films, most of the time the officials gave the numbers. Maybe you couldn't hear it all the way at the sideline.:idunno:

 

Plus, whoever taped the games normally zoomed in on the official during the calls, that guy really knows what he is doing.

I've worn a mic at Carroll Co. I also have worked games where the referee wore a mic for radio or tv broadcasts. It is rare in high school, and many referees don't like wearing them mostly because they are not used to wearing them. There can be problems if the referee leaves the mic open when it should not be, or forgets to open it when it should be open. There have also been occassions when the mic equipment is not properly setup, batteries charged, will not work in all areas of the field, or problems related to weather. I prefer not using a mic. It is really not needed if the PA announcer is properly using the cheat sheet for signals, and the R gives accurate signals.

  • Author

Needed? No. But, I think it adds a little something to the game.

 

High School sports pretty much copies everything they do from College and Professional sports, the offense, the defense, the rules, and this is just one more thing that makes the high school game more like a college game.

 

I'm not saying it a must, just an added feature.

Russell Co. does it....ugh, give the wrong offiial a mic and all of a sudden he starts to really like the crowd hearing his voice. When there's an official with a mic, plan on having about 5 extra penalties called. Hate it.

Watch the game films, most of the time the officials gave the numbers. Maybe you couldn't hear it all the way at the sideline.:idunno:

 

Plus, whoever taped the games normally zoomed in on the official during the calls, that guy really knows what he is doing.

 

We are very lucky to have a skilled videographer on our pressbox. Many would be envious of Raceland if they saw his quality.:cool:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.