Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If the Lakers win Sunday, who is the greatest NBA head coach of all-time?

If the Lakers win Sunday, who is the greatest NBA head coach of all-time? 29 members have voted

  1. 1. If the Lakers win Sunday, who is the greatest NBA head coach of all-time?

    • Phil Jackson
      62%
    • Red Auerbach
      34%
    • Pat Riley
      3%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Have to agree there. Followed by Popovich.

 

Pop is great. No doubt about it.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without an NBA team around here I grew up watching the Lakers and started to like them. I started liking Kobe because he was on the Lakers and he quickly became my favorite player. If you made me pick one over the other, I would pick Kobe.

 

Thanks. I can accept and understand that.

 

I like LeBron, Chris Paul, and LaMarcus Aldridge but that doesn't mean that I like Big Z, Stojakovic, or Joel Pryzbilla. But, if I were a Cavs fan first I would probably like most players on the team. But, in 2010 I'm a free agent, I'll go where ever LeBron goes, right or wrong.

I posted this a month ago or so... Phil is the greatest manager of talent in sports history.

 

People can say what they want about Phil Jackson, but he is a supreme manager of huge egos, which is my overall point -- not that he is a master X and O guy, and even he could not tame the Kobe/Shaq storm forever. Same with Jordan/Pippen/Bull's Ownership. In pro sports, 9 times out of 10 coaching moves are about managing these guys big heads and getting them to respond accordingly. Phil has done that just as good as anyone in sport's history.

Thanks. I can accept and understand that.

 

I like LeBron, Chris Paul, and LaMarcus Aldridge but that doesn't mean that I like Big Z, Stojakovic, or Joel Pryzbilla. But, if I were a Cavs fan first I would probably like most players on the team. But, in 2010 I'm a free agent, I'll go where ever LeBron goes, right or wrong.

 

I have that same logic.....In baseball I really don't like any baseball teams, just Manny, ARod, and Big Papi and a few other players. Baseball's crack down on steroids has actually turned me off from the game.....right or wrong.

 

In football, I hated the Patriots and Tom Brady for years, and then Randy Moss went to the Pats so the Pats are now my 2nd favorite team after the Buccaneers. I want to see Randy get that ring.:thumb:

 

As far as the Kobe question, I have never not liked the Lakers. My dad instilled in me how great Magic Johnson was so I have a soft spot in my heart for the Lakers. There have been periods of time when I liked other teams better than the Lakers, but once Kobe came around, I latched onto him and off we go. If he left the Lakers, I can't say I would be as big of a Laker fan, but I wouldn't hate them. I would root hardest for Kobe's team. I can easily say that.

I have that same logic.....In baseball I really don't like any baseball teams, just Manny, ARod, and Big Papi and a few other players. Baseball's crack down on steroids has actually turned me off from the game.....right or wrong.

 

In football, I hated the Patriots and Tom Brady for years, and then Randy Moss went to the Pats so the Pats are now my 2nd favorite team after the Buccaneers. I want to see Randy get that ring.:thumb:

 

As far as the Kobe question, I have never not liked the Lakers. My dad instilled in me how great Magic Johnson was so I have a soft spot in my heart for the Lakers. There have been periods of time when I liked other teams better than the Lakers, but once Kobe came around, I latched onto him and off we go. If he left the Lakers, I can't say I would be as big of a Laker fan, but I wouldn't hate them. I would root hardest for Kobe's team. I can easily say that.

 

Hey we have something in common. During the NFL season, we can team up or something man, I don't know if the BGP world could handle me and you arguing against them. They'd never hear the end of it :thumb:

Hey we have something in common. During the NFL season, we can team up or something man, I don't know if the BGP world could handle me and you arguing against them. They'd never hear the end of it :thumb:

 

Wow, you mean I actually have a Randy Moss fan to team up with me?:eek:

 

I have never had that before, most people hate Randy and the Pats. I really can't wait until football season now.......they will never hear the end of it.:thumb:

Wow, you mean I actually have a Randy Moss fan to team up with me?:eek:

 

I have never had that before, most people hate Randy and the Pats. I really can't wait until football season now.......they will never hear the end of it.:thumb:

 

I've been a Randy Moss fan since his Marshall days. He's the most talented WR to ever play the game. He's not Jerry Rice great, but he is pretty good.

I've been a Randy Moss fan since his Marshall days. He's the most talented WR to ever play the game. He's not Jerry Rice great, but he is pretty good.

 

Huge Randy Moss fan here. I'd take Randy over Jerry, but it's all good, I know I am alone in that feeling.:D

Larry Brown. He took the Clippers to the playoffs.

 

Skip Bayless just agreed with me on Larry Brown! :scared:

Give me Red all day every day. As said above, Phil is the most fortunate.

 

:laugh: And Red was not?

:laugh: And Red was not?

 

Not like Phil. Russell had a rival in Chamberlain. Cousy is great, but I'd take West. Jordan had no rival during their championship runs, Shaq had no one who could guard him, Pippen was possibly the best wing defender in league history, and Kobe is a top 10 player all-time. Hondo was great, but while that team was great individually it still took alot of coaching to pull off 8 in a row.

I'll take Red but I do really like Phil also. After he retired from coaching, I believe Red was general manager for several other champhionships. He ended up with something like 15-16 rings.

Not like Phil. Russell had a rival in Chamberlain. Cousy is great, but I'd take West. Jordan had no rival during their championship runs, Shaq had no one who could guard him, Pippen was possibly the best wing defender in league history, and Kobe is a top 10 player all-time. Hondo was great, but while that team was great individually it still took alot of coaching to pull off 8 in a row.

 

Bill Russell won back-to-back titles as a player/coach after Red retired.

 

The argument that Phil had great players is about as ridiculous as I've heard. Has a coach ever won multiple titles without great players?

 

If you think Red is better, that's fine. But, to try to discount Phil's titles because he got to coach great players...as if there were only two great players in the league for the last twenty years and Phil Jackson always had them on his teams.

 

He doesn't get near enough credit (from those who dislike him) for his ability to mesh his individual players into a team. In Chicago, they came together and operated like a well-oiled machine under his guidance. Even after Jordan retired, the Bulls won 55 games and would have returned to the finals if not for a garbage call that cost them a W in New York. In LA, he did the same thing...meshing Kobe and Shaq and the rest into a great team. His teams always had secondary players who knew, accepted and took pride in their roles...and were always ready to perform and contribute when called upon.

Bill Russell won back-to-back titles as a player/coach after Red retired.

 

The argument that Phil had great players is about as ridiculous as I've heard. Has a coach ever won multiple titles without great players?

 

If you think Red is better, that's fine. But, to try to discount Phil's titles because he got to coach great players...as if there were only two great players in the league for the last twenty years and Phil Jackson always had them on his teams.

 

He doesn't get near enough credit (from those who dislike him) for his ability to mesh his individual players into a team. In Chicago, they came together and operated like a well-oiled machine under his guidance. Even after Jordan retired, the Bulls won 55 games and would have returned to the finals if not for a garbage call that cost them a W in New York. In LA, he did the same thing...meshing Kobe and Shaq and the rest into a great team. His teams always had secondary players who knew, accepted and took pride in their roles...and were always ready to perform and contribute when called upon.

 

:thumb:

 

Again, Doug Collins could win with the Bulls that Phil won with. Del Harris couldn't win with the Lakers Phil won with. And in his second tenure, Phil took a Lakers team that missed the playoffs and helped turn them into what we see today. He deserves credit for getting the most out of these teams and helping them improve.

 

JMO :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.