May 22, 200917 yr I am not getting that from all these threads and links on UK and Calipari at all Jim. This is one of the first negative comments I have seen. If anything, it seems that most UK fans have been thrilled by not just what is going on at UK now, but the positive press the program has been getting. This is the first real negative criticism I have seen, and coming from Forde who seems to see the negative in most situations involving anyone, not just UK, ... it shouldn't be a surprise. Mine was more of a comment aimed at LMB. He's always whining about the media having some vendetta against UK.
May 22, 200917 yr What did he say that was 100% true? Calipari plays within the rules. As far as we know ...
May 22, 200917 yr As far as we know ... Come on the same could be said for the rest of NCAA's head coaches. Unless someone comes up with some solid evidence proving otherwise these are nothing more than conspiracy theories. I went back and read Forde's old article on Kentucky hiring Cal and he kept mentioning that Kentucky has had major infractions in the past. He also mentioned that Calipari has ZERO major NCAA infractions. None at Memphis, and none at Umass. So what's the problem? He hasn't broken the rules yet, what makes Forde think he will now? If he can recruit to Memphis and Umass within the rules, he can do it at UK too. But Forde thinks that because Kentucky has a past, Calipari was a bad hire? I guess that any coach would have been a bad hire then, considering Kentucky can't change the major infractions they committed in the past.
May 22, 200917 yr Forde said nothing that wasn't true... Shame on him. And where is the evidence of any problems with Calipari. I keep waiting to hear about some sanctions from his past with the NCAA or any violations that he has been proven to have any ties to, and I haven't heard of any. Not one. So IF there is truth to what Forde says, ... what in Calipari's past history would tell us that this is accurate? The Camby situation at UMass when the NCAA found nothing to indicate that Calipari did anything wrong? I admit that I don't like the hiring of assistants who happen to bring along their sons or players (Wagner comes to mind), but while I don't like it, I don't believe it is a violation and Calipari is not the first, nor will he be the last, to do that. I also remember Howard Cosell (and a few others at the time) just ripping UK to shreds when they hired Pitino to clean up the mess at UK. I remember hearing how with the NCAA really watching UK, Pitino would have them back on probation or worse within a few years. I remember not being too mad about the coverage, but it made me nervous because I didn't know much about Rick at the time. However, it seems that worked out pretty well and UK's basketball program has not been in any trouble since that time. I think that Forde didn't look like as much of an insider as he wanted folks to believe he was when he predicted that Travis Ford would be the new coach on more than one occasion. And like I said, while I think Forde is a good sportswriter, he does seem to gravitate towards any negative he can find in a story, regardless of who it is about. This time, is just happened to be UK and Calipari.
May 22, 200917 yr And where is the evidence of any problems with Calipari. I keep waiting to hear about some sanctions from his past with the NCAA or any violations that he has been proven to have any ties to, and I haven't heard of any. Not one. So IF there is truth to what Forde says, ... what in Calipari's past history would tell us that this is accurate? The Camby situation at UMass when the NCAA found nothing to indicate that Calipari did anything wrong? I admit that I don't like the hiring of assistants who happen to bring along their sons or players (Wagner comes to mind), but while I don't like it, I don't believe it is a violation and Calipari is not the first, nor will he be the last, to do that. I also remember Howard Cosell (and a few others at the time) just ripping UK to shreds when they hired Pitino to clean up the mess at UK. I remember hearing how with the NCAA really watching UK, Pitino would have them back on probation or worse within a few years. I remember not being too mad about the coverage, but it made me nervous because I didn't know much about Rick at the time. However, it seems that worked out pretty well and UK's basketball program has not been in any trouble since that time. I think that Forde didn't look like as much of an insider as he wanted folks to believe he was when he predicted that Travis Ford would be the new coach on more than one occasion. And like I said, while I think Forde is a good sportswriter, he does seem to gravitate towards any negative he can find in a story, regardless of who it is about. This time, is just happened to be UK and Calipari. :thumb: I'm waiting for some shred of evidence that Cal is a risk. :lol: If he was such a risk, the NCAA would know about it, wouldn't they? Does Pat Forde and the rest of the conspiracy theorists think the NCAA would just ignore major infractions if Cal committed them?
May 22, 200917 yr I thought it was funny. For every Pat Forde there is a Mike DeCoursey who belts people who think Cal cheats and so forth. Anyone think the last part about shifting stuff to Lexington was a shot at the ongoing Pitino/Sypher dance? Forde bought the Eddie Ford/Travis Ford publicity stunts after Hobodrunk ws fired.
May 22, 200917 yr :thumb: I'm waiting for some shred of evidence that Cal is a risk. :lol: If he was such a risk, the NCAA would know about it, wouldn't they? Does Pat Forde and the rest of the conspiracy theorists think the NCAA would just ignore major infractions if Cal committed them? The fact that a Final Four was vacated under HIS WATCH doesn't bother you, even a little bit? Yeah, I know, they said he didn't know about it. It was still on his watch, it was one of his players....
May 22, 200917 yr Mine was more of a comment aimed at LMB. He's always whining about the media having some vendetta against UK. We do have some UK fans that do that, ... I can't argue that with you. I don't really like Forde because he always seems to look for the negative angle regardless of who he is covering. Maybe not always, but the vast majority of the time. The thing is that many UK fans don't listen or read anything he writes UNLESS it is about UK. I think if they listened or read him more often, they would see that a high percentage of the time, he seems to dwell on the negative or what he perceives the negative to be.
May 22, 200917 yr Mine was more of a comment aimed at LMB. He's always whining about the media having some vendetta against UK. I think I have been fairly clear on guys I like and guys I don't like. I don't think there is any media vendetta against UK. I just think these guys get their kicks out of being monday morning quarterbacks and enjoy calling for the heads of coaches. It is often talked about how the UK fans are unrealistic and oftern call for coach's heads too soon and are too critical. But you can't deny that the guys I don't like are at the forefront of that by reading their articles and listening to their interviews. I don't like: John Clay Pat Forde Mark Story Rick Bozich I do like: Jody Demling Jerry Tipton Mike Wilbon (who has been very critical of UK) Eric Crawford Thats just some examples for you:thumb:
May 22, 200917 yr What did he say that was 100% true? Calipari plays within the rules. I'm not sure what the big problem with him is. Forde has been ripping on Kentucky and Calipari since Cal was hired. Because he was so sure Travis Ford was the guy, and he was wrong. Must of hurt his feelings that he was wrong again.:cry:
May 22, 200917 yr The fact that a Final Four was vacated under HIS WATCH doesn't bother you, even a little bit? Yeah, I know, they said he didn't know about it. It was still on his watch, it was one of his players.... A little bit? Sure. I mean look at Eddie Sutton. He denied everything, but at the same time, Casey gets a 5 year NCAA ban and Sutton is employed at Oklahoma State very soon after leaving UK with no sanctions. Yet at least 2 UK players I spoke with who were at UK at the time said they absolutely did not believe that Casey would have been involved in something like the money that found it's way to Mills, yet he took the fall. They swore that they believed that Sutton had to know something about the ACT issue, the money, etc, ... but were not surprised that he walked away clean. Especially given the other issues that were well known about his time in Lexington and how he was allowed to skate on those. A little bit nervous? Sure. However, to this day, from what I have seen and heard, even Camby says that Calipari knew nothing about what was going on and he regrets his own decisions which caused that situation. Also, Sandy Bell was hired at UK because of her experience at the NCAA and to ensure that the University was totally compliant and she apparently had no issues with Calipari at all. But, ... I was MUCH more nervous when Pitino came, and if Calipari's time at UK is even remotely like Rick's, ... I think the Cats will be just fine.
May 22, 200917 yr The fact that a Final Four was vacated under HIS WATCH doesn't bother you, even a little bit? Yeah, I know, they said he didn't know about it. It was still on his watch, it was one of his players.... He can't control every single decision a kid makes and I do not pretend to think that he can. That was Camby's mistake, not Calipari's. Why would it bother me if it was what...10 years ago? More? AND, he did NOTHING wrong.
May 22, 200917 yr The fact that a Final Four was vacated under HIS WATCH doesn't bother you, even a little bit? Yeah, I know, they said he didn't know about it. It was still on his watch, it was one of his players.... 13 years ago. Cal was found to have not known about it also. He has the cleanest of clean records. Its not like he has 8 recruiting violations under his belt or something.
May 22, 200917 yr I think I have been fairly clear on guys I like and guys I don't like. I don't think there is any media vendetta against UK. I just think these guys get their kicks out of being monday morning quarterbacks and enjoy calling for the heads of coaches. It is often talked about how the UK fans are unrealistic and oftern call for coach's heads too soon and are too critical. But you can't deny that the guys I don't like are at the forefront of that by reading their articles and listening to their interviews. I don't like: John Clay Pat Forde Mark Story Rick Bozich I do like: Jody Demling Jerry Tipton Mike Wilbon (who has been very critical of UK) Eric Crawford Thats just some examples for you:thumb: It's a reporter's job to ask questions that are on the minds of their audience. Sometimes those questions are uncomfortable.
May 22, 200917 yr Mine was more of a comment aimed at LMB. He's always whining about the media having some vendetta against UK. And you're always whining about UK and it's fans....:idunno:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.