Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Oakley

Featured Replies

 

3) They have an 0 on the side. :thumb:

 

IMO, this is the only thing that makes them appealing to most people....it's also what makes them overpriced.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are overpriced. If you are going to spend the $$$ get Maui Jims, a much better purchase. I have two pairs and don't regret any of them. I have convinced several friends that were Oakley lovers into trying them on and they all agree that they have been living in the dark ages.

When I buy sunglassees I want them to look good and i think Oakleys are A LOT better looking then Maui Jims
To each their own. Personally, I find Oakleys to be quite hideous. I'm just saying that if you ask most anyone with a knowledge of sunglasses they will tell you that MJ's are the cream of the crop.
FF had a pair and he loved them. I the bad wife lost them at the Kenny Chesney concert. :(

 

I think I remember you posting this when it'd happened.

Just wondering but what makes them so much better than Oakleys
Construction and quality of the lens. Plus I have personally dealt with customer service from both companies. Oakley was pretty bad while MJ might be the best customer service I've ever dealt with.

 

You can find a lot of information here.

 

Here is an experience that I have seen several times.

  • Author
Construction and quality of the lens. Plus I have personally dealt with customer service from both companies. Oakley was pretty bad while MJ might be the best customer service I've ever dealt with.

 

You can find a lot of information here.

 

Here is an experience that I have seen several times.

 

I have only heard great things about Oakleys customer service.

I have 4 pair.

 

I have a pair of older M-Wires. Best for activities.

I have a pair of older polarized Zereos. The best overall IMO.

I have a pair of S-Wires. They are only about 4-5 years old.

And my most recent are polarized Whisker. They are almost 1 year old.

 

I think Oakleys are worth the money if you will take care of them. I will never own another pair of sun glasses.

I am on my Fourth pair of Oakleys, and I have had none of them less then five years. They are without a doubt the best brand of sunglasses that I have ever had. That is why I have always went back to them, after my first pair. I don't like the sunlight, and the best way to deal with that, that I have found is with Oakleys.

 

As for the people that say you can get the same thing with a five dollar pair of sunglasses, I have to disagree. If you like the five dollar sunglasses, that is fine, if it is more coast affective, that is fine, if you just loose to many pair of sunglasses, that is fine. But, you are kidding yourself if you think that the quality is the same.

 

I have done some bad things to my Oakleys over the years, and I have never broke a pair, to date. I have never lost a pair. I have wore them out, but it took five years to do that, and if you spread that money over five years, and what some people spend on cheap sunglasses, I may have spent less money then them. Plus, the quality of the lenses are much greater with a better pair of sunglasses. In fact, their is no comparison with the lenses of a quality pair of sunglasses and a five dollar pair of sunglasses. I wear my sunglasses for an extended amount of time, and I forget that I have my Okleys on, but with cheaper sunglasses that I have tried, they become very uncomfortable, and even wear places on my nose and ears.

 

The quality of Oakleys are very good, if people don't want to play the price, that is fine, but you do not get the same thing with cheaper sunglasses.

I have had a pair of Oakly Thumps for around 5 years. They are polarized and hold like 60 songs. Great fit, Great vision, Great Entertainment. I would not trade them for anything.

 

I also have a pair of Half Jackets that I love. They are polarized and just clear as a bell. I drive in them. I only paid $75 dollars for them off ebay, I have had them for 2 years so we are down to 37.50 for them.

 

I keep several pair of $5 -$10 sunglasses in my vehicle if something comes up that may put my Oaks in danger, just switch out. Most of my cheap o's are scratched and don't shield well from the sun, and I have had them for a couple of years.

 

I love the fit of my Oaks vs the Cheaps. I will look at the MJ and probably try them as well. I just don't see how anyone can compare the quality of Oaks vs much else.

 

:walk:

I just looked at MJ site. The only thing that I saw that I would wear is the Turtle Bay's. They do not offer any pair that even remotely compare to the M-Frames.

 

I will be hard pressed now to try these as I was not as impressed with what my options were after your selling these that you like. They are just not me.

Just bought a new pair of half jackets for my sports, and I must say so far I love them. Now I have a pair for activities and 2 pairs for looks.

I'm not saying the quality of Oakleys isn't good. I'm just extremely skeptical that they are that much better to justify paying 50-150 times the cost of a pair of cheapies.

 

For what it's worth, I have the same questions about many of the exorbitantly-priced athletic shoes on the market. (*COUGH* Nike)

 

You maybe should pay a little bit more for better quality, and that's fine. But I'm of the opinion it's less about the quality than it is the name brand and the status symbol attached to it.

I'm not saying the quality of Oakleys isn't good. I'm just extremely skeptical that they are that much better to justify paying 50-150 times the cost of a pair of cheapies.

 

For what it's worth, I have the same questions about many of the exorbitantly-priced athletic shoes on the market. (*COUGH* Nike)

 

You maybe should pay a little bit more for better quality, and that's fine. But I'm of the opinion it's less about the quality than it is the name brand and the status symbol attached to it.

A lot of it for me is, once I bought an expensive pair of sunglassses I actually take care of them, unlike the $10 - $20 pairs I seemed to lose on a weekly basis. So for me, they are more than likely cheaper.

Any opinions on polarized vs. non-polarized lenses? I agree there should be a markup for polarized as the manufacturing process is significantly more intense. Is the added 60% cost worth it? I plan on wearing these glasses for multiple uses, driving, coaching, general outdoor use.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.