Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bracken coaching changes again!

Featured Replies

Perhaps require is a tough point to try and make or ask. I do not think a moving package would be needed, sometimes coaches do move. I would think it would benefit the coach to live in the community at least in this case because it seems that is one of the biggest gripes I hear from their fans: they want someone who will stay around!

 

I think that is one of the biggest factors for Coach Persinger getting the position. He is a graduate of BC, a teacher and coach in the system for a number of years, I am thinking in the teens, he lives in the county, he has family roots in the county.

 

I'm pretty sure that Hinson has never moved out of Bracken County and still lives there, also was a graduate and has family roots in the county.

  • Replies 146
  • Views 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree about hiring based on ability, trust me on that! I think the absolute BEST candidate for the job should be the one put in the position!

 

ALL IN: My good friend, you have done it again and left something out. Henson, as Persinger is a resident of the county, has those family roots and is an alum, however he IS NOT a teacher and coach in the system for a number of years!

 

Right now that probably is the BIGGEST feather in Persinger's proverbial cap! The ability, or lack there of, we will all see on the job!

IF Persinger would happen to get this position he SHOULD have to give up softball. In order for the boys program to be successful the new coach needs to devote most, if not all his spare time to the program. Let's not forget he is also a teacher. NO WAY can he give 100% in the classroom, 100% to the boys basketball team and 100% to softball. NOT gonna happen!!! Are we forgetting that coaching basketball is a year around job now?? How is Persinger supposed to work with these boys this summer and take them to camps when he is out doing the same with the softball team? How is he supposed to work with these boys in the spring during open gym when he is out coaching softball? Bracken needs someone who is committed to basketball and basketball only. That's the only way to build this program back up. If the administration is not smart enough to see that then the boys will once again suffer due to the lack of intelligence higher up. Come on Bracken, let's try to get it right this time. Don't go into the interview process already knowing who you want to hire. For once really listen to what these applicants have to say. Ask why they think they deserve the job? How are they gonna help these boys become better players? Don't just hire someone because he lives in the county and you think he deserves a shot. Hire someone who is ACTUALLY qualified this year!!!!

 

Great post BC71, Don't care if Persinger gives 500% to boys basketball,softball and the classroom, if one group(boys or girls) is more successful than the other, you're going to open up a whole new can of worms. If Persinger gets the boys job, the AD needs to be looking for a softball coach for next season. The basketball job needs his committment from high school on down to elementary, period

Boys basketball has had a number of coaches in the last 10-15 years. Gary McKinney, Rodney Persinger, Dan Fisher, Gary McKinney again, Robert Hammonds, Jay Fite, Deron Breeze...Fisher had the most success of this group IMO (All "A" championship & last district title).

 

Baseball I'm not so sure. Pete Hause, Chad Persinger, Ron Moser (I think), T.J. Lykins, Chris Yelton currently. I know I've got to be missing some here. But I can tell you that Chad Persinger was the last BC baseball coach to win a 10th region tournament game...but Pete Hause is by far the most accomplished baseball coach BC has had, not just in the last 10-15 years, but most likely ever.

 

As for softball, I believe Persinger is the only fast-pitch coach they've had, and he's done extremely well building that program.

 

But I won't even touch the football program.

 

Didn't Coach Hall coach the boys for a period of time? What about the girl's basketball program and their coaches?

I totally agree about hiring based on ability, trust me on that! I think the absolute BEST candidate for the job should be the one put in the position!

 

ALL IN: My good friend, you have done it again and left something out. Henson, as Persinger is a resident of the county, has those family roots and is an alum, however he IS NOT a teacher and coach in the system for a number of years!

 

Right now that probably is the BIGGEST feather in Persinger's proverbial cap! The ability, or lack there of, we will all see on the job!

 

Bracken County is cutting teaching positions left and right, so that might actually benefit BC and as far as coaching in the system:ohbrother:, what system?:lol:He's coached against THAT system and done very well over the years

Edited by Ram
Rule 2

Didn't Coach Hall coach the boys for a period of time? What about the girl's basketball program and their coaches?

 

Hall did, but not in the aforementioned 10-15 year time span.

 

Girls coaches that I can think of are: Gary Clayton, Mike Appleman (senior), Jamie somebody (can't think of his last name; just remember that he promised a state championship) :lol:, Wolfzorn, Molly Schultz, & current Coach Kelsch--the man of many avatars. :D

 

Hands down, Gary Clayton enjoyed the most success, with a '91 run to the state All "A" semi-finals & countless district titles.

Well, I agree with ALL IN about one thing! When, not if, Persinger gets the boys job, the AD needs to be looking for a softball coach for next season. The basketball job needs his commitment from high school, to junior high, on down to the elementary program.

 

On the girls side of things as far as coaches: Millie Reule-1-2 years I think---first coach I know for certain, Gary Clayton-1-2 years, Danny Cummins-1 year, Tony Johnson-4 years, Ralph Brown-1 year, Gary Clayton--again-13 or 14 years???, Mike Appleman-4 years, Jon Wirth-1-2 years, Jamey Basham- a few seasons, Brad Wolfzorn--3-4 years, Molly Schultz (Linville)--3 years, and Patrick Kelsch-current coach entering his 2nd full season! Clayton, Johnson, Appleman, Wolfzorn, and Kelsch took teams to the regional I know for certain. Clayton had the most success winning 11 or 12 straight district titles, the old 38th District (Augusta, Bracken, Deming, & Pendleton). He also won the '91 10th Region Class "A" Title one season and advanced to the Class "A" Final Four that season! That was a tremendous team led by Molly Linville and Annie Mains, they were loaded!

 

On the baseball side of things, Tom "TA" Appelman and Ron Reule both were baseball coaches and both had some success.

Jason Hinson is a 95' grad of Bracken County High School; he lives in Germantown, and once lived in Brooksville with Persinger. Most of the Hinson side of the family lives in Bracken! Unless Persinger has changed I have known him to just let the best player run rapid Give Joel Moyer the ball!! That way of thinking is not what Bracken needs!

 

 

With football the Olliers ran the football program for four or five years, I’m including when Bracken was just a JV program.

Great post BC71, Don't care if Persinger gives 500% to boys basketball,softball and the classroom, if one group(boys or girls) is more successful than the other, you're going to open up a whole new can of worms. If Persinger gets the boys job, the AD needs to be looking for a softball coach for next season. The basketball job needs his committment from high school on down to elementary, period

 

And I ask: Would you have applied those same standards to Bart Rison?

 

I will say this, which I see being a partial agreement to yours & BC71's position: If I was the decision-maker @ B.C., and if Chad Persinger was my boys varsity choice, I would not demand that he immediately step down as softball coach. I would announce the girls' softball replacement ASAP, with the understanding that he or she take the program over completely in 2 seasons--as UK football has done, to some extent, w/ Joker Phillips & Rich Brooks. This gives the replacement 2 years under Persinger to learn the ropes (the coaching itself, scheduling, booster-relations, etc.), so to speak, and become familiar with the players.

 

And in addition to that, under this scenario, you don't send the softball program into complete shock. And since the softball program is the strongest varsity program (in my opinion), you would want to avoid that. The softball team is solid this year, and returns almost every single player next year. That program, more than boys basketball, needs Chad Persinger for 2009-2010. But I think both programs would benefit with this proposal.

 

I believe Persinger & Hinson are both perfectly capable of rejuvenating the boys' varsity program. I think hiring either of the two would be a good move. Both are passionate, hard-working, knowledgeable, and familiar with the school/community.

Well first you have to accept people from the outside before you can get them to move to Bracken..........

AMEN to that statement!!!!!!

Some need to re-read the rules.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.