Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

College basketball today - Do you have to cheat to win?

Featured Replies

Im not implying anything, Im asking your opinions.

 

 

Calhoun allegations, the smoke around Durant and Oden, Sampson, World Wide Wes..........

 

 

GT knows way more than I do so I hope he chimes in.

 

 

 

So your all for Calipari coming to Kentucky?

Or it could have been similar to Orton's Dad getting paid to be Orton's Dad and then he committed to UK. Shady? Darn right. Illegal, technically it's probably a grey area, and not much that could be done about it.

 

And I think every coach in the country is searching for those grey areas. That's where business gets done. It's not illegal, but it doesn't always smell the best.

Most of this stuff is done in shades of gray. Well except for what UConn is going to get smacked for.

 

What happens is AAU programs are set up as non for profit organizations, and as such are tax exempt on donations. Undisclosed booster makes donation for a large sum of money into the non for profit and boom big time kid lands at school. This part is where it can go beyond a gray area as an agent is sometimes used to broker the deal.

 

There was a long article about this in the NY Times a few years back that I'm looking for...

There's an old saying in racing. If your not cheating you're not trying.

Or it could have been similar to Orton's Dad getting paid to be Orton's Dad and then he committed to UK. Shady? Darn right. Illegal, technically it's probably a grey area, and not much that could be done about it.

 

 

I haven't heard anything about this. What's the story here?

Or it could have been similar to Orton's Dad getting paid to be Orton's Dad and then he committed to UK. Shady? Darn right. Illegal, technically it's probably a grey area, and not much that could be done about it.

 

So, would it be better to rephrase the initial question?

 

Instead of cheat, do you have to operate in the "gray" area to be successful? Because, as you say, technically it may not be illegal. So, while some people may not like it, it isn't illegal.

 

Just a thought. That's why I asked.

I haven't heard anything about this. What's the story here?

 

UK paid him to come speak at a basketball camp, if I recall correctly. This was before Orton had made his decision. Illegal, no. But unethical as hell. If I'm not mistaken, the NCAA acted ex post facto to ban the practice.

UK paid him to come speak at a basketball camp, if I recall correctly. This was before Orton had made his decision. Illegal, no. But unethical as hell. If I'm not mistaken, the NCAA acted ex post facto to ban the practice.
:thumb: :thumb:

 

That is the story.

No, Coaches should not have to cheat to win, some do and it is bad for the integrity of the game.

The NCAA rules are such that everybody breaks a rule every now and then, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not.

 

I know of a program that, days before they were scheduled to go to the Final Four, had a student manager drive one of their players to his hometown, two or three states away, so that he could attend his grandmother's funeral.

 

The program knew they were breaking an NCAA rule by providing transportation. They gave the manager cash, so as not to leave a paper trail, and sent the two on their way. They felt it was more important to make sure the kid could spend time with his family rather than sweat out breaking a rule.

 

Personally, I agree with them.

  • Author

I think you have to operate in the gray areas, if not you don't get big time recruits.........

 

 

Yes, I am all for Cal coming to UK.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.