March 27, 200917 yr Author From what I HEAR... The disagreement involves the way the control is in the athletic department and that Barnhart is giving him little control over the way many things run and he isn't happy about that. It could, and just from speculation, happen like this: Donovan, if not: Calipari, if not: Gillispie returning with stuff worked out.I'm not going to state that as truth or anything, just what I hear. Weird - I just heard that on the radio a few minutes ago...
March 27, 200917 yr Author 1) I have visions of a team of geeks scurrying around campus surrepititiously video and audio recording anything and everything they feel could possibly shed some light on this. 2) I'll be looking for grainy, out of focus, choppy videos on you tube after all this is over. 3) The Final Word is so crappy if true. Either the man has a job, or he doesn't. It's really bad administration to only keep him if they can't get someone else. He's either the guy, or he's not. They need to make a committment. I'm 100% certain that the administration has created a nightmare situation and its really dragging UK through the blood.
March 27, 200917 yr Weird - I just heard that on the radio a few minutes ago... And that is why I said hear. I don't see how Gillispie would come back if he is put on the back burner for other coaches, and when they decline, they want me back.
March 27, 200917 yr This is being handled ridiculously, no way UK should leave a man hanging like that. Billy D is not the answer, he won back-to-back titles and couldnt coach his big time recruits up enough to make The Big Dance the 2nd year? Izzo's style will be as popular as Tubby's. Calipari - unless FedEx comes with him, I don't know............ UK basketball is in a WORLD of hurt right now and Todd/Barnhardt are more to blame than anyone..................
March 27, 200917 yr Author This story just came out in Florida: Gainesville Sun report: Billy Donovan, head coach at Florida, has already agreed to replace Gillispie. I'm checking into it right now.
March 27, 200917 yr ^ If those three don't meet our standards then U.K. truly doesn't deserve a college basketball team
March 27, 200917 yr Honestly, I want Calipari. But, he's not going to come here if he's the 2nd option, IMO. But, neither would Billy D. I think they are going after Billy D because he is going to be an easier get. I think they would have to wait for Calipari's season to be over, and throw towns of dough at him. If I were Barnhardt and it was possible for BCG to stay like what is being said, I would throw a ton at Calipari. If he comes he will make us legit next year because he would bring Cousins and get a likely commit from John Wall. I think that two years from now if we didn't get Cal and BCG didn't work out, Billy D would be still be waiting for us.
March 27, 200917 yr Ok, here are the latest rumors/confirmations, etc. that I know... 1) The assistant coaches did not pack up and move out of their offices today. I have confirmed visual proof to back this up and in fact, there were two assistants chatting in one of the offices at 5:30 p.m. this evening 2) Gillispie stated plainly today that Patterson and Meeks will be back with Kentucky next season. That, of course, is not guaranteed, but that's all we have to go on at this point. 3) There was an explosion of activity in the media room this morning as they were told to get a huge press conference together for Friday. In the afternoon, this kind of tapered off and its more of a "be ready just in case" type atmosphere now. 4) Alan Cutler stated on ESPN radio that Gillispie is gone 5) CBSSports reports that it is a done deal and Mitch is trying to work out a deal with Donovan, Calipari or Izzo (likely in that order) 6) There was apparently a few hangups in making a big hire today at some point and that is what started some of the rumors that Gillispie could possibly be back. The Final Word: Billy Gillispie had opportunities to make things better, but he balked on some of the requests made to him by the higher-ups. At this point, Gillispie is gone BUT it all hinges on making a good hire. If a deal cannot be worked out with one of the big-name coaches, Gillispie may very well be back next season. The Recruits: We will likely lose Orton if Gillsipie goes. We will likely keep all others either way. If we hire Donovan, he has a recruit that is likely to come with him (he didn't tell me his name). That's it for now... You watch to much TV and listen to the radio to much Wireman.
March 27, 200917 yr ^ If those three don't meet our standards then U.K. truly doesn't deserve a college basketball team I'm looking at this with no emotion, unlike some of the others. UK is setting an awful, awful precedent. 2 years? What happens if Billy D doesn't make the Elite 8 in 2 years?
March 27, 200917 yr Author You watch to much TV and listen to the radio to much Wireman. I also spend alot of time on the phone with people that work in the UK athletic department.
March 27, 200917 yr Billy Donovan just hopped up to #38 on Google Trends. Gillispie is #80... I am a rookie in all this speculation stuff but does that mean alot?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.