Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

State Tournament Format

Featured Replies

It's a marathon. Would the tournament have produced a different champion if

there was more time between games?

 

- Kids rest. Especially those without a deep bench would benefit.

- Coaches prepare. It was even more impressive that Central was able to execute Coach Bibby's game plan that well.

- More fans or less fans? I realize some come from far away in the state and like staying the entire weekend.

 

What if it was:

Thursday - opening round

Friday - opening round

Saturday - final 8

 

Following Week

Friday - Final Four

Saturday - Final Game

 

Everyone plays 2 games each weekend. The first half of the final game was really poorly played by both Central and Holmes because they were exhausted (and they should be).

 

Thoughts? Other formats?

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is GREAT how it is. Please don't change it.

 

I agree. The only thing I'd change is MAYBE move the state title game to Sunday afternoon.

It's a marathon. Would the tournament have produced a different champion if

there was more time between games?

 

Nope. Holmes was the best team in the tournament, and with more rest it probably would have just made them even better.

It's a marathon. Would the tournament have produced a different champion if

there was more time between games?

 

- Kids rest. Especially those without a deep bench would benefit.

- Coaches prepare. It was even more impressive that Central was able to execute Coach Bibby's game plan that well.

- More fans or less fans? I realize some come from far away in the state and like staying the entire weekend.

 

What if it was:

Thursday - opening round

Friday - opening round

Saturday - final 8

 

Following Week

Friday - Final Four

Saturday - Final Game

 

Everyone plays 2 games each weekend. The first half of the final game was really poorly played by both Central and Holmes because they were exhausted (and they should be).

 

Thoughts? Other formats?

 

It will never change

I agree. The only thing I'd change is MAYBE move the state title game to Sunday afternoon.

 

This is the only change I would make!

 

Although the lower bracket team won this year, it's tough to play a game sometimes less than six hours after your first game of the day finishes, while the upper bracket team can rest for an additional two to two and a half hours longer. It might not sound like a lot but it is if you are the ones playing.

 

Think of the crowds for a late Saturday afternoon final four and by moving the game to Sunday afternoon think of the additional fans who can come to the championship games.

 

BTW, the All "A" Classic seems to have no problem with doing it this way at all!

I agree. The only thing I'd change is MAYBE move the state title game to Sunday afternoon.

 

:thumb:

 

That's the move that should be made. Other than that, I say leave it alone.

:thumb:

 

That's the move that should be made. Other than that, I say leave it alone.

 

 

I agree with this but don't think it will ever happen. There is too much tradition with how it's been done the same way for years. I think if they start to tinker with it gets the seperate class tourney some momentum.

How about starting the tourney on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Semis on Friday evening and finals on Sunday evening?

How about starting the tourney on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Semis on Friday evening and finals on Sunday evening?

 

Sounds like a good arrangement to me! This way a team will only play one game per day with time in-between to rest and rejuvinate. After all . . . these are kids.

How about starting the tourney on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Semis on Friday evening and finals on Sunday evening?

 

Missing another day of school, just might not make the different Boards of Education very happy or those who care about students getting a good education. Kentucky already is way behind academically compared to the rest of the USA, so I don't think the KHSAA would do something to make the matter even worse. Sports are for fun, but getting a great education is much more important to the majority of students.

Guys, part of the reason for the 4-day format is the KHSAA would rather not have to pay another day's rent for Rupp Arena.

It is fine the way that it is. Be the one who wins and you don't have any reason to complain about it. If you don't like the format that it is played in, you could always lose at some point before the Sweet 16 and not have to worry about it.

Guys, part of the reason for the 4-day format is the KHSAA would rather not have to pay another day's rent for Rupp Arena.

 

Jim I have rented Rupp Arena for an event and trust me the money that the KHSAA is making from the fans and sponsors shouldn't be a problem. Could be but I would be very surprised if it is.

The only thing I would change like what other people in this thread have said is having the championship game on Sunday. I know people say that will never happen but I think it is crazy for the kids to play the biggest game of their life (to that point) after playing in a game hours earlier. I really wish the KHSAA would change that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.