Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sweet 24

Featured Replies

I disagree. There are a lot of quality teams not in the Sweet 16 this year and every other. That's the beauty of the high school postseason, IMO.

 

You can't sacrifice the excitement and drama of the regional tournaments in attempt to get all the contenders in the Sweet 16. They have their chance. They have no complaint. They missed the Sweet 16 because they lost on the court. Period.

 

Nothing needs to be fixed here.

 

Also, classifying would also be a disaster. The KHSAA Sweet 16 is awesome the way it is. Any changes would only make it worse.

 

It isn't broken, so don't fix it!:thumb::thumb:

  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a good thought, but I believe you can try to do too much and do more harm than good like they have in football (IMO,some may disagree).

Done (7 though not 8). Feel free to add the 8th yourself. I have to disagree with you on your first sentence however.

 

I would agree with you about adding more teams, if every team did not have an equal chance at making. However right now every time has an equal chance of making it with top 2 teams coming out of the district tournament, and then the one from the regional tournament. Yeah maybe some regions might be harder to win, however you are givin the chance to earn your opportunity to go to Rupp. Say for Scott Co. yeah they were probably one of the top 3 teams in the state, and was probably unfair for LexCath to have to meet up with them in the region. However LexCath stepped up and got the job done. I mean upsets do happen, I mean say if Scott Co. did win the region, then did got upset in the first round of the state tournament, we are not going to say well it should be two an out. Teams are given a fair and equal chance at making the tournament. They even given a chance to lose a game in the district finals first. Also with their being an All "A" tournament, then that means the smaller schools had their chance too before hand. The way things are done right now, are perfect.

Not a good idea at all.

Not a good idea at all.

 

Les, this something that we can definately agree on!:thumb:

I propose that Kentucky add the top 8 non-region winners to the tournament. They can be selected by coaches, a committe, or a ranking, etc (not the press!). This could add a day or morning to the event, but would generate revenue, even more interest and be more FAIR. It is time for a change!

 

No. Don't mess with the "Greatest Show in Hoops".

As much as I hate my team sitting at home because it's incredibly tough to get out of the 11th region, I still wouldn't change a thing. Kentucky has something special with the sweet sixteen and even though we all know it's not the best sixteen teams every year, what we do know is whoever goes on to win the state title has earned it and that's all that really matters.

Exactly my thoughts! :thumb:

 

And, it's certainly not broke. There is no sports tournament, IMO, that is as good as the KHSAA basketball system beginning with the districts and ending at Rupp.

 

If they start tinkering with it, they will ruin it. You can bet on that.

  • Author
And, it's certainly not broke. There is no sports tournament, IMO, that is as good as the KHSAA basketball system beginning with the districts and ending at Rupp.

 

If they start tinkering with it, they will ruin it. You can bet on that.

 

IMO as as it sits right now then the regular season at least wins/losses are meaningless. Many districts regions don't seed etc. IMO it is not perfect.

Boo... Hissssssssssss... :ohbrother: :rolleyes: :irked:

 

 

 

Amen!

I propose that Kentucky add the top 8 non-region winners to the tournament. They can be selected by coaches, a committe, or a ranking, etc (not the press!). This could add a day or morning to the event, but would generate revenue, even more interest and be more FAIR. It is time for a change!

 

I think it would be nuts to change it. But in the unlikely event your scenario went into effect, I'm curious to know why the press should be excluded?

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with adding the District Finals into the Regional tournament. That way, you eliminate giving a team a mulligan. Now, that's a change I could support.

 

Five teams won their region this year after losing their district:

 

4th - Bowling Green

5th - Adair County

6th - Louisville Central

7th - Louisville Eastern

14th - Hazard

 

Louisville Eastern just might win state after losing in the district. It's guaranteed that one of the final four will be (Central v. Eastern).

 

In the 4th Region, Franklin-Simpson was our only district winner to win a game in the first round, which really took that mulligan to extremes. I don't know where I fall on the district loser advancing. I've never minded it, even after Warren Central lost this year to a team that lost in their district. I believe some districts would be unduly punished because of the strength of that district (a la Scott County, Henry Clay, Bryan Station), while other places it would make total sense (Mason County & .......)

Five teams won their region this year after losing their district:

 

4th - Bowling Green

5th - Adair County

6th - Louisville Central

7th - Louisville Eastern

14th - Hazard

 

Louisville Eastern just might win state after losing in the district. It's guaranteed that one of the final four will be (Central v. Eastern).

 

In the 4th Region, Franklin-Simpson was our only district winner to win a game in the first round, which really took that mulligan to extremes. I don't know where I fall on the district loser advancing. I've never minded it, even after Warren Central lost this year to a team that lost in their district. I believe some districts would be unduly punished because of the strength of that district (a la Scott County, Henry Clay, Bryan Station), while other places it would make total sense (Mason County & .......)

 

I can live with it. But, here's my take on it...

 

If I'm a front-runner, I don't want to have to beat a team that is my equal twice in one week. I think the winners often get punished in regions where the favorites are in the same district. For example, the 14th region...Perry Central and Hazard were the majority picks to meet in the region final. PCC won the district and lost the region. So, personally, if I'm a coach, I'd be fine with playing a do-or-die game in the district final if I knew I wouldn't have to face them in a rematch should I win.

 

JMO

 

But, it's not something I despise. I can live with it.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.