Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are Kentucky Fans to Blame?

Featured Replies

While reading this article on Kentucky basketball I read this quote, and it got me wondering if maybe the pressure the fans put on these kids are just as much of the problem as anything? The quote is after a few paragraph's talking about the pressure at Kentucky.

 

"I thought I was prepared for all of this,'' says freshman Darius Miller, who grew up on the Ohio border town of Maysville, Ky. "And then I got here and I realized I wasn't. I can't explain it. You have to experience it.''

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3967418

  • Replies 42
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that and thought the same thing. It is the extremist fans that have really soured UK's stigma. IMO.

Is this new?

Is this new?

The article or fanatic turning insanity???

  • Author

Patterson also had this to say.

 

"It's like playing for Team USA. You've got the entire state right in your ear and they don't care,'' Patterson says. "I always say it's a love-hate relationship. They love us, but they sure do hate us sometimes. My friends call up and say, 'What's the big deal? So you're struggling a little bit.' I tell them, 'Man you don't understand. This is Kentucky.'"

I think the expectations are ridiculous. But that's what history does. History causes either a rise or fall in expectations. But if Kentucky fans are to look at history, about every ten years this happens.

 

2009 - 19-12

2000 - 23-10 (#5 seed, second round loss)

1990 - 14-14 (coming off probation)

1979 - 19-12 (NIT)

1967 - 13-13

 

I think the expectations of BCG as a recruiter where way out of whack and as I have pointed out in another thread, he has whiffed on a lot of high profile recruits and it's obvious in their lack of depth at some positions.

 

It wasn't good enough that Uk won games. They had to beat teams by 20 every night.

 

What's amazing to me is how vocal and ferocious the common fan base can be, yet the fans that fill Rupp Arena are some of the most serene in the nation. Are teams really scared to come into Rupp any more? Not likely.

 

Tubby is probably more happy coaching in Minnesota because of the lack of expectations there. Eddie Sutton was perported to have drank during UK games.

 

There are some UK fans that expect them to be national champions every year. In today's college basketball landscape, it ain't happening.

The article or fanatic turning insanity???

 

The latter.

I think the expectations are ridiculous. But that's what history does. History causes either a rise or fall in expectations. But if Kentucky fans are to look at history, about every ten years this happens.

 

2009 - 19-12

2000 - 23-10 (#5 seed, second round loss)

1990 - 14-14 (coming off probation)

1979 - 19-12 (NIT)

1967 - 13-13

 

I think the expectations of BCG as a recruiter where way out of whack and as I have pointed out in another thread, he has whiffed on a lot of high profile recruits and it's obvious in their lack of depth at some positions.

 

It wasn't good enough that Uk won games. They had to beat teams by 20 every night.

 

What's amazing to me is how vocal and ferocious the common fan base can be, yet the fans that fill Rupp Arena are some of the most serene in the nation. Are teams really scared to come into Rupp any more? Not likely.

 

Tubby is probably more happy coaching in Minnesota because of the lack of expectations there. Eddie Sutton was perported to have drank during UK games.

 

There are some UK fans that expect them to be national champions every year. In today's college basketball landscape, it ain't happening.

:thumb:

I think the expectations of BCG as a recruiter where way out of whack and as I have pointed out in another thread, he has whiffed on a lot of high profile recruits and it's obvious in their lack of depth at some positions.

 

I've been doing the same for most of the time he's been in Lexington...

This was a pretty good article imo, there was alot in it that didn't sound too pretty to hear but there was some truth to it as well, too much truth probably.

I personally can get all bent out of shape over U.K. basketball but I do try to be somewhat reasonable about it (if that is possible in Big Blue Nation:D). I don't want to become one of "those" fans that are so radical about it that they lose any sense of reality (if they had any to start with). As everyone knows U.K. has some real idiots in the fan base. Those are a minority of the fan base I believe but their mouth is the majority and makes all look bad. Like I said, I am as big of U.K. fan as anyone and fully admit that I demand alot from the Cats and coaches as well. I guess that comes from growing up in this state and living,loving,dreaming eating and sleeping U.K. basketball. I can remember at a very,very young age having used a blue marker to put a "Kentucky" on the chest and a number across a t-shirt running around the house pretending to be a "Wildcat". I would use masking tape to secure the goal......a Ky. Fried Chicken bucket (with the bottom cut out)to the wall in the hallway, and use rolled up socks for basketballs and play every game right there, lol. After all U.K. players were no doubt the most important people on earth with Cincinnati Reds players coming in second. O.K., I apologize for going down memory lane with that boring stuff,lol.

 

I really hope that BCG can get things straightened out and I believe that he can be a good coach. BCG has never been at a program like this, he has been sucsessful in building a "team" wherever he has been (A&M - UTEP) but now he is the man in charge of the "winningest program in all of college basketball" where everything and more is expected in every year. This article mentioned the NC titles,SEC titles, NCAA tourneys and all.

BCG imo was just not ready for what is expected here or maybe better said the passion and expectations for U.K. by the fan base. U.K. fans can be and imo are the best in the country and then as always some of "those few" can make us look like some of the worst as well.

I will say that I do believe that he can get things going, imo a fans we want to believe that and yes, we expect it.

Do I believe that it is the fans are to blame for how things are going with the wins and losses? NO, the fans aren't coaching, recruiting, practicing or playing.

 

I don't apologize for wanting and expecting a U.K. program like it has been throughout the years.........one of if not the very best in college basketball!

 

So, there was my long, drawn out and probably boring sermon and I am tired now.

I think the expectations of BCG as a recruiter where way out of whack and as I have pointed out in another thread, he has whiffed on a lot of high profile recruits and it's obvious in their lack of depth at some positions.

 

It wasn't good enough that Uk won games. They had to beat teams by 20 every night.

 

What's amazing to me is how vocal and ferocious the common fan base can be, yet the fans that fill Rupp Arena are some of the most serene in the nation. Are teams really scared to come into Rupp any more? Not likely.

 

Tubby is probably more happy coaching in Minnesota because of the lack of expectations there. Eddie Sutton was perported to have drank during UK games.

 

There are some UK fans that expect them to be national champions every year. In today's college basketball landscape, it ain't happening.

 

I agree with all that you said, especially the bolded. As for the "great recruiter", I hope that he turns out to be but I just haven't seen much proof of that claim yet. I do believe that he as some very good ones coming in next season, I hope they prove out to be just that.

I think the expectations are ridiculous. But that's what history does. History causes either a rise or fall in expectations. But if Kentucky fans are to look at history, about every ten years this happens.

 

2009 - 19-12

2000 - 23-10 (#5 seed, second round loss)

1990 - 14-14 (coming off probation)

1979 - 19-12 (NIT)

1967 - 13-13

 

I think the expectations of BCG as a recruiter where way out of whack and as I have pointed out in another thread, he has whiffed on a lot of high profile recruits and it's obvious in their lack of depth at some positions.

 

It wasn't good enough that Uk won games. They had to beat teams by 20 every night.

 

What's amazing to me is how vocal and ferocious the common fan base can be, yet the fans that fill Rupp Arena are some of the most serene in the nation. Are teams really scared to come into Rupp any more? Not likely.

 

Tubby is probably more happy coaching in Minnesota because of the lack of expectations there. Eddie Sutton was perported to have drank during UK games.

 

There are some UK fans that expect them to be national champions every year. In today's college basketball landscape, it ain't happening.

 

So true.

 

I also think what has happened is that over the past 10 years, you have had a rise of more quality mid-majors that have had a longer staying power. Some of these teams have recruited well, and had a good measure of sucess. Butler being an example. Not saying that Kentucky can't be dominant again, but more teams are better now than in the 1980's and 90's.

His recruiting seems OK to me. Certainly better than the previous staff. I think the holes are a combination of what he inherited, some guys not living up to their reputation/ranking, and his recruits being young/new to the system.

 

This is a full line up with highly ranked guys he recruited. You can replace Patterson with Ferguson for 10/11.

 

Liggins

Hood

Miller

Patterson

Orton

 

BCG's recruits (4*/5* only):

 

Under Self @ Illinois:

Dee Brown (5*)

Deron Williams (4*)

 

At A&M:

Bryan Davis (4*)

Donald Sloan (4*)

Denzel Bowles (4*)

Deandre Jordan (5*)

 

At UK:

Pattrick Patterson (5*) -07

Alex Legion (4*) -07

Deandre Liggins (4*) -08

Darius Miller (4*) -08

Jon Hood (4*) -09

Daniel Orton (5*) -09

Dominique Ferguson (5*) -10

Vinny Zollo -11

Michael Avery -12

I think the expectations are ridiculous. But that's what history does. History causes either a rise or fall in expectations. But if Kentucky fans are to look at history, about every ten years this happens.

 

2009 - 19-12

2000 - 23-10 (#5 seed, second round loss)

1990 - 14-14 (coming off probation)

1979 - 19-12 (NIT)

1967 - 13-13

 

I think the expectations of BCG as a recruiter where way out of whack and as I have pointed out in another thread, he has whiffed on a lot of high profile recruits and it's obvious in their lack of depth at some positions.

 

It wasn't good enough that Uk won games. They had to beat teams by 20 every night.

 

What's amazing to me is how vocal and ferocious the common fan base can be, yet the fans that fill Rupp Arena are some of the most serene in the nation. Are teams really scared to come into Rupp any more? Not likely.

 

Tubby is probably more happy coaching in Minnesota because of the lack of expectations there. Eddie Sutton was perported to have drank during UK games.

 

There are some UK fans that expect them to be national champions every year. In today's college basketball landscape, it ain't happening.

 

He purportedly drank at OK State too.:cool:

 

 

Anymore it is fans demanding a national championship every year. I think that a 20+ win season and past the first round exit in the tournament is fine with me.

How can you blame the fans, who are sometimes just a tad bit ridiculous, when your coach just flat out can't coach?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.