What is the weakest region?

I think compared to the Lexington and Louisville Regions the 16th is definitely weaker, but after that I don't think you can put them in the bottom. The 16th region after Elliott from 2-8 has some very good quality teams that can compete. There are no big name players or flashy teams but the quality is there 2-8. From what I've seen and heard the next three years will be very good for Rose Hill. Just my opinion.

:thumb:

I disagree, they may be competitive within their own region, but how many of the teams that make it to Morehead will be able to beat Elliott? The only way Elliott does not win the region is if they get beat by Morgan in the District Tournament IMO.

That's what makes it such a weak region, there are no viable threats to unseating EC. Rose Hill will be very good in the next couple years as will East Carter, but this year. The 16th is at the bottom.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at which region has the best chance to win the Sweet Sixteen this year, then the 15th and 16th are two of the top regions.

But having ONE good team sitting at the top of your region doesn't necessarily make it a strong region. Look at the 7th, 11th, 9th, and 10th. All 4 of those regions have atleast 3 teams that could go to Rupp and win a game with the right draw.

Honestly, the 15th and 16th don't have ANY teams outside of their favorites that would win a game at Rupp. You have to look at the region top to bottom and honestly, top to bottom, the 16th is the weakest.

Heck, the 9th's current #6 team (Beechwood), the 8th's current #6 team (SK) and the 10th's current #5 team (Campbell Co) went down and swept 16th region opponents in the Ashland Invitational. My point is the 5th best teams in those regions would likely be top 2 or 3 in the 16th.

There is alot of ways to look at things, the 6th region might be better top to bottom than the 15th, but who has a better at winning a State title first? Of course another way to look at it is that Shelby Valley is in the bottom bracket and who ever from the 6th region is in the top bracket.

But having ONE good team sitting at the top of your region doesn't necessarily make it a strong region. Look at the 7th, 11th, 9th, and 10th. All 4 of those regions have atleast 3 teams that could go to Rupp and win a game with the right draw.

Honestly, the 15th and 16th don't have ANY teams outside of their favorites that would win a game at Rupp. You have to look at the region top to bottom and honestly, top to bottom, the 16th is the weakest.

Heck, the 9th's current #6 team (Beechwood), the 8th's current #6 team (SK) and the 10th's current #5 team (Campbell Co) went down and swept 16th region opponents in the Ashland Invitational. My point is the 5th best teams in those regions would likely be top 2 or 3 in the 16th.

And those teams didnt beat a top 5 team out of the 16th region in that tourney either.:sssh:

And those teams didnt beat a top 5 team out of the 16th region in that tourney either.:sssh:

No, but Ryle beat a top 3 16th region team in West Carter. BTW, Ryle is currently #5 in the NKY Coaches poll and may not even make it out of their DISTRICT. :sssh:

No, but Ryle beat a top 3 16th region team in West Carter. BTW, Ryle is currently #5 in the NKY Coaches poll and may not even make it out of their DISTRICT. :sssh:

By 4 Right? West Carter might not make out of their DISTRICT:sssh:

Edited by KNOWITALL

Are we talking this year or historically? Because historically, at least relatively recent history (last 30 years or so), it's the 14th and the 16th. We ran the numbers on their success in the Sweet 16 since 1981, and the 14th is 9-28 and hasn't had a regional semifinalist since 1986, and no one in the championship in that timespan. The 16th was only a little better, going 11-28 and only having Ashland's runner-up finish in 1996 to show for success. Do the math, that's 8 wins in the other 27 seasons in the timespan. I'd put the 15th following those guys.

Bottom line, most teams are not unhappy to be drawing the 14th, 15th, or 16th regions. This year will obviously be an exception with Elliott County & Shelby Valley.