Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Bats

Featured Replies

The Exo and Blue Stealth, are very impressive. I've seen a lot of games and they were very prevalent this past summer.

 

Has anyone tried the SV12 Easton yet?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard good things about the sv12. I have never been a fan of the NIKE bat, but this year there is some really good discussion about this bat.

 

I do believe that the bat does not make near the difference the batter makes. I can strike out with a $500 bat just like I do a $50 bat.

I agree that feel & confidence are by far the biggest factors as long as it's a decent bat from one of the better companies.

 

Just watch the college game. Even at the College World Series, where each team has a contract with TPX, DeMarini or Easton, you'll see players swinging older versions of their less than the top of the line models. :idunno:

 

I do feel that different types of bats, however, fit different players swing styles better than others - just like different golf swings call for different shafts.

I have not heard good things about the sv12. I have never been a fan of the NIKE bat, but this year there is some really good discussion about this bat.

 

I do believe that the bat does not make near the difference the batter makes. I can strike out with a $500 bat just like I do a $50 bat.

 

No doubt the bat can't fix your swing or eyes. But, there is often a difference between how far and fast a ball goes that has been struck by a $50 bat or $500 bat. The difference is sometimes as significant as homerun versus a fly out or a seeing eye single versus an infield pop out.

No doubt the bat can't fix your swing or eyes. But, there is often a difference between how far and fast a ball goes that has been struck by a $50 bat or $500 bat. The difference is sometimes as significant as homerun versus a fly out or a seeing eye single versus an infield pop out.

 

Between a $50 bat and a $500 bat? Sure. (I wasn't aware that any of the bats had reached this price range yet). But between $400 (more common price) bats by the different manufacturers, the difference is negligible. That's why they go through testing to get BESR certified - to ensure that one is not "hopped up" to create ball speeds in excess of what is allowed. The difference you would find in these top end bats "creating" more distance has to do with the hitter generating more bat speed because he likes the weight distribution of the bat better or simply feels more confident with the bat.

Would the Demarini Vexxum be considered a top end bat? He is very young (9) and I doubt that it makes a big difference which bat he uses. I buy into the personal preference and feel idea. I bought him a 2008 exo-grid bat last year and he did not like it. He went back to his Omaha TPS hand me down bat that was about 6 years old and started hitting the ball better. IMO, probably boils down to mind games.

 

My son has used a Vexxum the last 3 yrs. He seems to love it and the best part about it is the half ounce measurements. For a 9 yr old my personal suggestion is the 29 inch and 15.5 ounces. My son used this size bat for 2 yrs and was good with it. I personally feel DeMarini makes the best bat and for the money its even better. You can get a brand new Vexxum on EBay for $149.00 cheapest stealth is $249.00. This is just my personal opinion so take it for what it is worth. I still have his 29/15.5 bat.

Making the point that contact cannot be bought. For me $399 bats and $250 bats cannot be that different in pop and flex, as long as you are apples to apples.(aluminum vs aluminum/ composite vs composite). They are all manufacturing to the same basic specifications. So now it comes to contact and contact points.

 

Bats that range from $100 to $250 cannot be so different either.

 

I know that there are minor differences in all bats, but I believe that the batter and his contact make the difference in Home Runs and Long Outs.

 

With my Golf swing, I hit a steel shaft club longer than the flex shafts. My club heads are much smaller than those my friends use, yet I will out drive them when my contact is right. My clubs cost $150, 15 years ago and I have never wanted to 'upgrade". I have tried the newer stuff and I am not as comfortable with them.

 

In professional baseball, how much difference can their be in those bats? Other than Length, Weight, Handle Circumference, Barrell Circumference, any difference in pop?

Making the point that contact cannot be bought. For me $399 bats and $250 bats cannot be that different in pop and flex, as long as you are apples to apples.(aluminum vs aluminum/ composite vs composite). They are all manufacturing to the same basic specifications. So now it comes to contact and contact points.

 

Bats that range from $100 to $250 cannot be so different either.

 

I know that there are minor differences in all bats, but I believe that the batter and his contact make the difference in Home Runs and Long Outs.

 

With my Golf swing, I hit a steel shaft club longer than the flex shafts. My club heads are much smaller than those my friends use, yet I will out drive them when my contact is right. My clubs cost $150, 15 years ago and I have never wanted to 'upgrade". I have tried the newer stuff and I am not as comfortable with them.

 

In professional baseball, how much difference can their be in those bats? Other than Length, Weight, Handle Circumference, Barrell Circumference, any difference in pop?

 

Not sure about the distance thing but in the Pro's but it's obvious they use the best wood to ensure longer use with that bats so they don't break as easily. Other than that Not so sure.

Ok I am old and I will admit to it,:cry: but I would rather see a kid hit with a wooden bat as it truly tells me if he can really hit or not. Today's aluminum bats allow you to get a double off a well thrown pitch in tight off the handle which back in the day, was a easy out and in cold weather, well if you have hit with a wooden bat you understand. I truly worry about the pitchers now day's being injured by a hit ball off an aluminum bat. Kids who can hit, can hit with a wooden bat just as easily as with a fake bat but alias not as far.

Ok I am old and I will admit to it,:cry: but I would rather see a kid hit with a wooden bat as it truly tells me if he can really hit or not. Today's aluminum bats allow you to get a double off a well thrown pitch in tight off the handle which back in the day, was a easy out and in cold weather, well if you have hit with a wooden bat you understand. I truly worry about the pitchers now day's being injured by a hit ball off an aluminum bat. Kids who can hit, can hit with a wooden bat just as easily as with a fake bat but alias not as far.

 

I'll say this. Playing with small barrel bats in another state for three years forced my son to develop the proper swing mechanics required to get the kind of hits he wanted. Never having seen big barrels used before moving here, I couldn't believe how kids could drive balls deep into the outfield with terrible swing mechanics, or get the same kind of distance with decent swings on terrible pitches. IMO, the big barrel bats retard development of proper swing mechanics and pitch selection in little kids.

 

Wood bats seem to be a different discussion. Most little kids can't handle the weight of wood bats, which also can lead to poor mechanics.

I have used Mikens in softball and most of the bats that are the best end up outlawed after the first year. I bought my son one of the youth mikens and it has more pop than any youth bat probably should.

 

Coupon, I have seen you hit. You do seem to go deep better with the illegal bats!:lol:

Would the Demarini Vexxum be considered a top end bat? He is very young (9) and I doubt that it makes a big difference which bat he uses. I buy into the personal preference and feel idea. I bought him a 2008 exo-grid bat last year and he did not like it. He went back to his Omaha TPS hand me down bat that was about 6 years old and started hitting the ball better. IMO, probably boils down to mind games.

 

For a 9 year old, don't waste your money on the top-end bats! At that age, the number of home runs he hits is meaningless - his swing mechanics are begin developed now (good and bad habits), and he simply needs a stick he's comfortable with! A good TPX or Worth bat is fine...just keep the weight down to 15-16 ounces, so he's not trying to "muscle" the bat around.

 

As a coach at our local Little League, I always find myself laughing at the 9-10 year olds swinging $400 bats...most kids that age don't have the swing mechanics necessary to get much out of that $400 investment.

 

I'll say this. Playing with small barrel bats in another state for three years forced my son to develop the proper swing mechanics required to get the kind of hits he wanted. Never having seen big barrels used before moving here, I couldn't believe how kids could drive balls deep into the outfield with terrible swing mechanics, or get the same kind of distance with decent swings on terrible pitches. IMO, the big barrel bats retard development of proper swing mechanics and pitch selection in little kids.

 

I didn't let my oldest use a big barrel until he turned 14 and was getting ready to try out for the local HS team six months later. Gave him time to develop his swing with the new bat during fall ball. Yes, it improved his batting production, but the small barrel bat made him a better hitter. He isn't a power hitter, but almost never strikes out.

 

Little League doesn't allow younger kids to use big-barrel bats until they are 13 years old. Unfortunately, this isn't adhered to in competitive leagues. I took a 9u team composed of Little Leaguers into a competitive league last year. I wouldn't let my kids use big barrels because they couldn't use them in LL and it made no sense to mess up their swings...but I was amazed at how all the other teams were extensively using big barrels. In the short run, these teams probably get better production, but at the expense of the individual player. In the long run, I don't think this does the kids any favors.

I believe that in the younger ages an Big Barrel bat is the difference between a strike and foul tip. I agree with Col. Mike, all of these kids using big barrels without proper instruction have the worst swing mechanics. High school coaches can't fix it because that is how dad taught them and he played on a little league all-star team.

 

With the $30.00 smaller barrel bats the kids develope better hand / eye coordination in order to just make contact. Get them acustomed to hitting with these, the a big barrel when the get to high school will be like swinging a telephone pole.

 

I am not big on high $ bats. My son jus got his first bat that cost over $200.00 for Christmas this year. He hit just fine with $150.00 bats for several years.

Coupon, I have seen you hit. You do seem to go deep better with the illegal bats!:lol:
Dont we all Doc....LOL

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.