Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Holmes 53 Conner 46

Featured Replies

From what I heard, Holmes played poorly and Dom had a bunch of turn-overs. Good win on an off night.

 

IMO this statement isn't quite fair to Dom. He may have had a few turnovers in one stretch of the game, but he pulled himself together and overall had a decent game, which shows a lot of maturity on his part. I just don't think the turnovers can be put on one kid. It seemed to be an off night for most of the players.

 

Rico and Housley seemed to come alive in the 4th to help seal the win though. Arnold also seemed to play with a little more poise tonight too.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Holmes isn't a young team. I would say it is still just December and they are still growing as a team. The top 6 players are 3 seniors and 3 juniors, i believe. They are learning how to play without Henderson.

 

TRice, don't forget that there wasn't a tip thanks to Pittman. Conner started the game up 2 and taking the ball out of bounds.

IMO Holmes isn't a young team. I would say it is still just December and they are still growing as a team. The top 6 players are 3 seniors and 3 juniors, i believe. They are learning how to play without Henderson.

 

TRice, don't forget that there wasn't a tip thanks to Pittman. Conner started the game up 2 and taking the ball out of bounds.

 

That slipped my mind thanks for the correction. The reason I say Holmes is young is because they only returned two starters. Pittman didn't see good varsity min. until the end of the year. Riley played but behind Avery. Arnold played JV. Dom played some but not to much. This is only the Johnson brothers second year and we still in Dec.. So when I think about it this team is still learning how to compete as a group night in and night out on the varsity level. I still think they will lose a game or two in the 9th. No one goes undefeated in the 9th. This ain't the 16th.:lol:

I see your point and I think we are on the same page. Tonight was an excellent learning experience for them. Its always better to get the win and be able to learn some things about how to play as a team.

As a new member of the Bluegrass forum I can tell you that you all need to appreciate what you have with this Holmes team whether or not you are a fan of the "Dogs" or not. This team can and will probably be something special come March. Of course there is always the possibility that depth, injuries, internal problems, eligibility and the likes could slow them down. They will also have a bullseye on them every week when they take the floor. That comes with the territory. I have been around and seen the great teams in the 9th region all the way back to the mid 60s and I can tell you there are always going to be bumps in the road. There have only been 2 teams in the history of the 9th region go undefeated against the 9th; Holmes 1978 and the CCH team from a few years ago, (sorry can't remember the year). The 9th region is and always has been one of the toughest in the state. Games like tonight only tend to make teams stronger. I would hate to be in Henderson County's shoes on Tuesday. It could be ugly!!!! If I were David Henley games like this would make me very happy as I could use it to motivate a team that is clearly heads above its competition on most every night it takes the court and clearly feels they are the best in the state. They read and hear the same things you guys are reading and hearing every day. Nothing like a slap of reality to make you realize that you are not as invinceable as you think you are. Like I said enjoy the ride, it could be a very nice one and could result in the only 9th region state championship since 1984. That's way too long to wait for a second.

  • Author
As a new member of the Bluegrass forum I can tell you that you all need to appreciate what you have with this Holmes team whether or not you are a fan of the "Dogs" or not. This team can and will probably be something special come March. Of course there is always the possibility that depth, injuries, internal problems, eligibility and the likes could slow them down. They will also have a bullseye on them every week when they take the floor. That comes with the territory. I have been around and seen the great teams in the 9th region all the way back to the mid 60s and I can tell you there are always going to be bumps in the road. There have only been 2 teams in the history of the 9th region go undefeated against the 9th; Holmes 1978 and the CCH team from a few years ago, (sorry can't remember the year). The 9th region is and always has been one of the toughest in the state. Games like tonight only tend to make teams stronger. I would hate to be in Henderson County's shoes on Tuesday. It could be ugly!!!! If I were David Henley games like this would make me very happy as I could use it to motivate a team that is clearly heads above its competition on most every night it takes the court and clearly feels they are the best in the state. They read and hear the same things you guys are reading and hearing every day. Nothing like a slap of reality to make you realize that you are not as invinceable as you think you are. Like I said enjoy the ride, it could be a very nice one and could result in the only 9th region state championship since 1984. That's way too long to wait for a second.

 

 

 

 

:thumb:Very good post EZ.

I see your point and I think we are on the same page. Tonight was an excellent learning experience for them. Its always better to get the win and be able to learn some things about how to play as a team.

 

I agree:thumb:.

As a new member of the Bluegrass forum I can tell you that you all need to appreciate what you have with this Holmes team whether or not you are a fan of the "Dogs" or not. This team can and will probably be something special come March. Of course there is always the possibility that depth, injuries, internal problems, eligibility and the likes could slow them down. They will also have a bullseye on them every week when they take the floor. That comes with the territory. I have been around and seen the great teams in the 9th region all the way back to the mid 60s and I can tell you there are always going to be bumps in the road. There have only been 2 teams in the history of the 9th region go undefeated against the 9th; Holmes 1978 and the CCH team from a few years ago, (sorry can't remember the year). The 9th region is and always has been one of the toughest in the state. Games like tonight only tend to make teams stronger. I would hate to be in Henderson County's shoes on Tuesday. It could be ugly!!!! If I were David Henley games like this would make me very happy as I could use it to motivate a team that is clearly heads above its competition on most every night it takes the court and clearly feels they are the best in the state. They read and hear the same things you guys are reading and hearing every day. Nothing like a slap of reality to make you realize that you are not as invinceable as you think you are. Like I said enjoy the ride, it could be a very nice one and could result in the only 9th region state championship since 1984. That's way too long to wait for a second.

 

Great post.

Nice win for Holmes. This close score shouldn't come as a surprise. Conner has historically played Holmes tough year in and year out, which some fail to realize, who are making the absurd comments about Holmes not being this or that.

 

The FACT is, Holmes is the best team in the state, like it or not, and they've proved it on the court. Why do some continue to get on here and bash them if they don't beat a team by 20+ and root for these KIDS to fail and lose EVERY game that they play, just so they can talk about them being overrated, not as good as advertised, not as far ahead of the pack.. (starting to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher..womp, womp womp, womp, womp)? They played horrible tonight (give credit to Conner for playing hard), but were still able to pull out a W. Isn't that what all good teams do??

 

Congrats to BOTH teams for playing hard, and especially a big congrats to Conner for pushing Holmes to the limit. I honestly much rather see Holmes win close games like this than blow everyone out. It will keep their heads from getting big and will keep them on their toes.

 

The 9th is a tough region though. I can GUARANTEE you there isn't a team in the state that would go undefeated against the top 12-15 9th region teams...and some region's champ would be sitting at home come March....I said it before, and I'll say it again...I'll be VERY surprised if Holmes goes undefeated in 9th region play.

Easy, you might be eating those words come March.

 

Already happened and it's only December....:sssh:

Nice win for Holmes. This close score shouldn't come as a surprise. Conner has historically played Holmes tough year in and year out, which some fail to realize, who are making the absurd comments about Holmes not being this or that.

 

The FACT is, Holmes is the best team in the state, like it or not, and they've proved it on the court. Why do some continue to get on here and bash them if they don't beat a team by 20+ and root for these KIDS to fail and lose EVERY game that they play, just so they can talk about them being overrated, not as good as advertised, not as far ahead of the pack.. (starting to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher..womp, womp womp, womp, womp)? They played horrible tonight (give credit to Conner for playing hard), but were still able to pull out a W. Isn't that what all good teams do??

 

Congrats to BOTH teams for playing hard, and especially a big congrats to Conner for pushing Holmes to the limit. I honestly much rather see Holmes win close games like this than blow everyone out. It will keep their heads from getting big and will keep them on their toes.

 

The 9th is a tough region though. I can GUARANTEE you there isn't a team in the state that would go undefeated against the top 12-15 9th region teams...and some region's champ would be sitting at home come March....

 

Thanks ER you always come through when the Holmes bashers come calling. I know all the kids for Holmes and I'm related to 3 of the varsity players. I have been a Holmes fan since I was 9 or 10 when Jack Jennings was playing. In 18 or 19 seasons of watching Bulldog baketball I have never been more proud of the dogs in my life, as I am right now. Not just for what they do on the court but what they do off the court. These young man have set the mode for the youth in the inner city of Covington. They are becoming leaders in there community. As stated in other threads these kids have a unfair amount of pressure on them, and the continue to step up. Not only on the court but off the court as well. My son loves them and they motivate him as well as other kids in the inner city of Covington. What they are doing is simply amazing. Also a big thanks to Henley for leading these young men and keeping them grounded.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nice win for Holmes. This close score shouldn't come as a surprise. Conner has historically played Holmes tough year in and year out, which some fail to realize, who are making the absurd comments about Holmes not being this or that.

 

The FACT is, Holmes is the best team in the state, like it or not, and they've proved it on the court. Why do some continue to get on here and bash them if they don't beat a team by 20+ and root for these KIDS to fail and lose EVERY game that they play, just so they can talk about them being overrated, not as good as advertised, not as far ahead of the pack.. (starting to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher..womp, womp womp, womp, womp)? They played horrible tonight (give credit to Conner for playing hard), but were still able to pull out a W. Isn't that what all good teams do??

 

Congrats to BOTH teams for playing hard, and especially a big congrats to Conner for pushing Holmes to the limit. I honestly much rather see Holmes win close games like this than blow everyone out. It will keep their heads from getting big and will keep them on their toes.

 

The 9th is a tough region though. I can GUARANTEE you there isn't a team in the state that would go undefeated against the top 12-15 9th region teams...and some region's champ would be sitting at home come March....I said it before, and I'll say it again...I'll be VERY surprised if Holmes goes undefeated in 9th region play.

 

I agree with you about these people cheering for kids to fail. High School basketball is a tricky game and sometimes you will get close games like this, espically when you have a target on your back and your one of the teams everyone wants to beat. Saw it first hand when Tates Creek gave Scott Co. a scare earlier this year ... BTW Eta, im hoping that my Cards run into your Bulldogs again somewhere down the line in March ... but we have a while before we have to worry about that.

My first time seeing Holmes this year and my first impression last night was the team that showed up "tonight" won't win State. I thought Conner played as hard as they could but some kids seemed a little intimidated at first. Hodges seemed afraid to shoot when he got the ball four feet from the basket. He's only a sophomore and needs to realize he needs to take it to the other "bigs" and if they block it, so be it. I thought Robinson came in and played well and took it to the "bigs" as best he could. Not sure if he had many points, but he didn't back down.

 

IMO Holmes, like many other High School teams, just needs to take every game seriously. I had the impression pre-game that Conner was just in their way of getting to tomorrow but then Conner was that "fly" that just wouldn't go away. Riley hits a three just inside the half-court as the third ends to tie the game and changed momentum.

 

Holmes played inspired in the fourth and took control, as good teams do. IMO, just an off night for Holmes and I think they WILL go undefeated in the ninth. One disappointment from Pittman was he took himself out of the first half "mentally" when he got the technical. He was more worried about that than playing ball. He ended the first half with 2 points. He needs to learn composure. He did have a nice dunk and missed a couple of follow-up dunks that would have been nice. I'm rooting for whoever comes out of the ninth to win state, and this year it will be Holmes. :thumb:

I've had crow before. Go Lions!

 

Looking at your avatar, i'm sure you've had a bunch.:sssh:

Thanks ER you always come through when the Holmes bashers come calling. I know all the kids for Holmes and I'm related to 3 of the varsity players. I have been a Holmes fan since I was 9 or 10 when Jack Jennings was playing. In 18 or 19 seasons of watching Bulldog baketball I have never been more proud of the dogs in my life, as I am right now. Not just for what they do on the court but what they do off the court. These young man have set the mode for the youth in the inner city of Covington. They are becoming leaders in there community. As stated in other threads these kids have a unfair amount of pressure on them, and the continue to step up. Not only on the court but off the court as well. My son loves them and they motivate him as well as other kids in the inner city of Covington. What they are doing is simply amazing. Also a big thanks to Henley for leading these young men and keeping them grounded.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

 

 

 

This is the single most important post I've read about Holmes all year. You have hit it exactly square on the head. As an alum who has also seen all of those same teams over the years I could not agree with you more. After some of the shenanigans and problems of not too distant years past, this collection of young men make all of us proud. I have made it a point to watch these young men before during and after games and they have conducted themselves like sportsmen and gentlemen each and every time I've seen them. Tempers flare on the court sometimes, it does for all teams, but I watch them control each other and take care of each other whenever a situation like that occurs. This indeed could be something very special for us all.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.