December 9, 200817 yr I really wish UK would have went after Mack and got him. I know they recruited him a little, but it was too late. I am not blaming Gillispie necessarily for not getting after him because he hadn't been at UK long and Mack wasn't considered a big prospect. But I think he could run the point for us quite well and at the least take Porter's minutes. He is averaging over 12 points a game along with 2.3 assists and 3.3 rebounds. But in his last game he had 22 points, 5 assists, and was 7-13 from the field and 4-7 from 3 point range. Which there is much more to it than just numbers. He can play. He would have given us a more athletic option than Porter and he can shoot the ball as well.
December 9, 200817 yr The lack of recruitment of Shelvin Mack is 100% NOT on the shoulders of Billy G. I wish we would have gotten him, he would have been a difference maker this year, but you have to build relationships in recruiting before their senior year. Billy G is doing a wonderful job of that now. If Mack were a junior last year, then I venture to say he would be a Wildcat next year with Jon Hood and company.
December 9, 200817 yr I wished they had gotten Mack too. I said it at the time when he signed elsewhere that UK needs to get these kids when they're in their own backyard. Another one that I wish they had gone after a little harder is Slaughter who played for Shelby County. I was very impressed with his high school play, and he's proven himself now at WKU.
December 9, 200817 yr I said all year last year that he was the best our state had to offer. BCG got into Lexington too late for Mack
December 9, 200817 yr I wished they had gotten Mack too. I said it at the time when he signed elsewhere that UK needs to get these kids when they're in their own backyard. Another one that I wish they had gone after a little harder is Slaughter who played for Shelby County. I was very impressed with his high school play, and he's proven himself now at WKU. I doubt Slaughter would've gone there, growing up a Louisville fan and all.
December 9, 200817 yr I doubt Slaughter would've gone there, growing up a Louisville fan and all. Didn't Rondo grow up a Louisville fan and all?
December 9, 200817 yr I didn't think Slaughter was as good as advertised when I saw him in high school, but he has proven me wrong at WKU.
December 10, 200817 yr I said all year last year that he was the best our state had to offer. BCG got into Lexington too late for Mack I like Hopson over Mack, but Mack was the 2nd best KY had to offer IMO..
December 10, 200817 yr Author Mack would not start over Porter. Liggins doesn't even start over Porter. I think most people would agree that he is a better player than Porter barnone. Liggins has had problems with consistency. Mack may be a little more solid and be in that role Porter is in getting 15 or 20 minutes a game. Just a thought.
December 10, 200817 yr I like Hopson over Mack, but Mack was the 2nd best KY had to offer IMO.. I thought Hopson was over advertised in high school. Mack IMO was the more complete college player because he didnt have to rely on athletic ability alone. He actually has basketball skills.
December 10, 200817 yr I didn't think Slaughter was as good as advertised when I saw him in high school, but he has proven me wrong at WKU. You may have seen him more than me but I thought he was very worthy playing at either of the two powers. I dont re-call what UL had then but UK was fairly set at the guard position. He will go down right behind Lofton as a guy that both let slip
December 10, 200817 yr I think most people would agree that he is a better player than Porter barnone. Liggins has had problems with consistency. Mack may be a little more solid and be in that role Porter is in getting 15 or 20 minutes a game. Just a thought. I agree with you on Shelvin Mack. He is the consummate point guard with a pass first/shoot second mentality. Because Butler is committed to him playing the point, he will develop much quicker than he would have had he gone to UK. In three or four years, Kentucky fans will be looking at Shelvin Mack and wishing UK would have gotten him. He will have a very productive and successful career at Butler. In fact, I think that someday Shelvin Mack will be included in the same conversation as Chris Lofton as one of the great Kentucky kids that got away!
December 10, 200817 yr Didn't Rondo grow up a Louisville fan and all? I think Pitino wouldn't have allowed himself to make the same mistake twice. Had UK been recruiting Slaughter, you can bet he would've joined in.
December 10, 200817 yr Hopson was a dog who would lay down on his coach at any time. Mack was a warrier who brought it almost every night. He would really help this UK team right now. He's bigger and better than Porter and stronger and better than Liggons. He'd make some freshmen mistakes, but Gillispie would love him because in addition to being good, he works very hard.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.