Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Size/strength or speed, which is more important?

Featured Replies

1. Heart

a.Intelligence

2.Power(speed & strength)

3.Speed

4.Strength

5.Athleticism

6.Work Ethic

7.Size

  • Replies 40
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Heart

a.Intelligence

2.Power(speed & strength)

3.Speed

4.Strength

5.Athleticism

6.Work Ethic

7.Size

 

I would add one thing: DESIRE (guess you could be including that in "heart", but I think of heart as the person who won't give up...)

You have to have some size/strength on the line regardless of what else you have...

 

I would offer the Tigers offensive line as my example. This year they are lean and fast. X has figured out T's secret of mobile blockers instead of oxen and mules. With this line I think they will reach the promised land. The heart factor is key too.

 

I would venture to guess that Highlands is outsized most every week, but they have committed to quickness on the line which compliments the speed that they have at skill positions. HHS has done it year in and year out without the luxury of size.

College coaches rank the following as most important when recruiting a player. 1. Speed- cannot substitute for, cannot put a lot on someone. 2. Natural size- Meaning height and wingspan, things that are a non-negotible for everyone, meaning that cannot be changed. 3. Size weight- Coaches feel this can be added with a good diet. 4. Strength- Coaches feel everyone can get stronger with dedication to the weight room.

I think you can make an argument that most of eastern Kentucky is analogous to the Big 10 (with exceptions) while places like the golden triangle of Lexington, L'ville, and Covington are more like SEC. That is why teams from eastern Kentucky tend to have problems as they get deeper in the playoffs. When an eastern Kentucky team does get some team speed (Bell Co, Belfrey, Russell, and on) they do well. I would like to see more emphasis on speed, quickness, and agility in eastern Kentucky training programs. I think it does no good to have a speedy RB when your line can't get to a LB to block him.

How about the Bell team this year, with size & strentgh on the line, and speed at the skill positions? A big part of the game vs. Boyle last night was our O-line (big, stong) dominating their smaller, faster D-line.

I think there a difference between speed and quickness. Speed is how fast you can run at top speed, quickness is how fast you can get to top speed. I saw stronger DL/OL players beat this year because the opposing line was quicker off the snap of the ball. A line player does not necessarily have to be fast but I think they need to be quick and then the strength factor kicks in. You could be strong as ox but if you are constantly beat at the snap of the ball you are going to be out of position .Of course that also depends on the top of offense you run, if you pull guards and tackles a lot you are going to want them to be fast.

Your better backs tend to get to full speed in 2 steps or less, where as your power backs tend to be stronger and harder to bring down. I would say quickness, speed and then strength. Technique (as well as execution) can overcome strength and some speed but in the end usually the fastest teams tend to win, hence why the mountain teams have such a hard time with teams from the north.

I think you can make an argument that most of eastern Kentucky is analogous to the Big 10 (with exceptions) while places like the golden triangle of Lexington, L'ville, and Covington are more like SEC. That is why teams from eastern Kentucky tend to have problems as they get deeper in the playoffs. When an eastern Kentucky team does get some team speed (Bell Co, Belfrey, Russell, and on) they do well. I would like to see more emphasis on speed, quickness, and agility in eastern Kentucky training programs. I think it does no good to have a speedy RB when your line can't get to a LB to block him.

 

Everyone likes to compare the Big 10 against the SEC and talk about the gap between the 2, but if you will go back the last 5 years and compare the head to head match-ups in the bowl games the 2 conferences are pretty even in that respect.

1. Quality Depth

2. Speed

3. Strength

 

If you don't have kids that come in and give you some depth then I don't care how many Speedy, guys you have eventualy they get tired and their speed is not a factor

Speed, leverage, that's why Football players should wrestle

Speed is position. Position in football is every thing, you can have a 150 pound O tackle and a 300 pound D end and if the tackle gets low and good position, he makes the block for the second and a half or two seconds needed. Speed again and again.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.