Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Liggins declines to go in game....

Featured Replies

"Liggins played two minutes in the first half in relief of point guard Michael Porter."

 

 

That's the part that bothers me. If they lose him, because Billy G is starting Porter over Liggins.

  • Replies 60
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Porter will be the PG for the rest of the season.....

I think he already is regardless....

I wouldn't think petulance and Billy Clyde mix too well.

Liggins is 5 games into his career. It is hard to start at any position that early, let alone point guard for the Kentucky Wildcats. I wouldn't be so quick to turn the reigns over to Liggins, especially now, but I would say this problem will be taken care of internally with no parties really winning.

If Gillespie wants to display any semblance of consistency then he needs to kick Liggins off the team.

 

He did it to a walk-on last year for a much lesser offense.

In a way I cannot blame him. I certainly cannot blame his frustration. He most definatly handled it the wrong way, but he's got a valid point. At one point, Porter had three or four turnovers in a roll. Like a intercepted pass, the horrible heave he tried to make over top of everybody to get the ball inside, then threw it out of bounds or something on the next play. However, Liggins, gets it turned over trying to make a play and is jettisened to the bench.

 

 

One thing I have seen from Liggins is he WANTS to make plays. He is not a selfish player at all and is always looking to get the ball where it needs to go, although sometimes he is not real careful with the rock in the process. Def. the wrong move to deny going in, a childish move really, but all he was trying to say is look man, I get yanked for something this guy has done 10 times while he soaks up the minutes, while if I go in and screw up once, I am back over here. So its bad in two ways. One for Gillespie to keep pulling him like that is horrible for confidence, and two Liggins reacting the way he did is horrible for character and team character. Hopefully this is all settled and hopefully things don't turn into a Joe Crawford freshmen situation, or more importantly a Alex Legion situation.

If Gillespie wants to display any semblance of consistency then he needs to kick Liggins off the team.

 

He did it to a walk-on last year for a much lesser offense.

 

Good point

In a way I cannot blame him. I certainly cannot blame his frustration. He most definatly handled it the wrong way, but he's got a valid point. At one point, Porter had three or four turnovers in a roll. Like a intercepted pass, the horrible heave he tried to make over top of everybody to get the ball inside, then threw it out of bounds or something on the next play. However, Liggins, gets it turned over trying to make a play and is jettisened to the bench.

 

 

One thing I have seen from Liggins is he WANTS to make plays. He is not a selfish player at all and is always looking to get the ball where it needs to go, although sometimes he is not real careful with the rock in the process. Def. the wrong move to deny going in, a childish move really, but all he was trying to say is look man, I get yanked for something this guy has done 10 times while he soaks up the minutes, while if I go in and screw up once, I am back over here. So its bad in two ways. One for Gillespie to keep pulling him like that is horrible for confidence, and two Liggins reacting the way he did is horrible for character and team character. Hopefully this is all settled and hopefully things don't turn into a Joe Crawford freshmen situation, or more importantly a Alex Legion situation.

 

 

Let's just fire BCG and hire Liggins to coach the team then :thumb:

If Gillespie wants to display any semblance of consistency then he needs to kick Liggins off the team.

 

He did it to a walk-on last year for a much lesser offense.

 

 

You have to be kidding. :mad:

 

 

 

College kids make mistakes, and their ways of venting frustration to some look like avid acts of betrayal by others.

 

 

In no way can Kentucky can finish this season with Porter at point guard for the majoirty of the game. Last night's game had to have proved that. I say erase the slate clean, quit trying to be so tough on Liggins because obviously he is not going to be perfect, let him know that actions similar to that again could be his last, then trust him to start running this team.

 

 

 

 

In case you guys cannot get it, then obviously you have not had to sit there while someone you are 10x better than keeps getting your minutes after mistake after mistake, while you waste away on the bench and while the one making mistakes and playing over you seems to be getting all of the support. Then when you do get your chance, you make one mistake and get yanked, and near humiliated (or so it feels) and replaced by someone who will continue to make even more mistakes, then it takes its toll. Fact of the matter is, Liggins is better, knows he is better, just wants his shot, but hasn't really had a fair chance to get that shot, all the while Porter has seemingly been like a prodigal son who cannot do any wrong, and all the while it seems he has just been that guy who makes the coach sick or something.

 

Trust, I have seen this situation first hand with former teammates, and whether coached know it or not, is probably the worst thing that can ever happen to a talented player because then they start to doubt themselves.

Not kidding at all. Gillespie kicked a "kid" off of the team for laughing. If that's a termination infraction then certainly this is.

 

Maybe, just maybe the reason that these "kids" make so many mistakes in judgement is because thare are apologists who are ready and willing to make excuses for their selfish behavior.

In case you guys cannot get it, then obviously you have not had to sit there while someone you are 10x better than keeps getting your minutes after mistake after mistake, while you waste away on the bench and while the one making mistakes and playing over you seems to be getting all of the support. Then when you do get your chance, you make one mistake and get yanked, and near humiliated (or so it feels) and replaced by someone who will continue to make even more mistakes, then it takes its toll. Fact of the matter is, Liggins is better, knows he is better, just wants his shot, but hasn't really had a fair chance to get that shot, all the while Porter has seemingly been like a prodigal son who cannot do any wrong, and all the while it seems he has just been that guy who makes the coach sick or something.
I'll disagree with you, on him being better than Porter. Liggins may end up being better but he's not close, right now. Porter doesn't get my vote for PG to lead this team but right now, he's the best option.

 

Athleticism, Liggins is impressive but NO way he's better NOW, much less 10x at this point. You've indicated that Liggins is better, knows he is and that may be his problem. He's got to learn, it's not the best athlete, tallest, quickest but the one who can run the offense and play defense, who gets the playing time.

Let's just fire BCG and hire Liggins to coach the team then :thumb:

 

No, lets just get the whole team, coach and player to quit being so stubborn and maybe we might start playing like an actual team instead of turning the ball over thirty times a game and getting waxed by mid majors. I love Gillespie but the way he handles his young talent and his team sometimes is very questionable. Porter would be the last man on the bench for most solid D-I teams, and that is a fact. He plays hard I know, congratulations, way to play hard. But what would you rather have? Hard play or good play? Believe me, if given the chance I assure you Liggins and Galloway would play just as hard as Porter. But if you have read my previous posts in my thread by now they feel as if they are worthless. Liggins' act last night was not an act of defiance but rather one of frustration and given the circumstances who could really blame him? Think of it like being at your job and the guy you know who is always coming to you for advice and always needs help with things gets the big promotion and support from the higher-ups that you should get, all the while your bosses just act like your lucky to still have a job. How would you feel and how would you react? You guys are all way too serious, these guys are just kids, 19, 20 year old kids, things like this can be very hard on them and with someone like Liggins he is just acting out of frustration.

Where has all of Liggins' good play been so far? I sure haven't seen it. Here's the bottom line - Porter is our best option at this point in the season. BCG is the dog and the players are the tail - the tail sure as heck don't wag the dog. As soon as Liggins realizes that, he'll be able to help the team.

^ Right I agree, I am just saying we hasn't seen Liggins good play because IMO he hasn't really got the chance to show anything or do anything. You cannot tell anything by watching a guy play for two minutes, and lately Liggins is lucky to get that in intervals. I'm just saying that if just for once Liggins got to play as much as Porter then we wouldn't even be having this conversation at all. IMO Liggins hasn't even got a chance so far and if he could just go out, have the reigns to the team for at least half of a half one game and without the pressure of knowing if he screws up once he's getting yanked then I'm sure they'll be a lot more DeAndre Liggins fans, untill then there will just be far many more Liggins haters.

 

 

 

Guys I see what your saying I truely do. Porter is our most "experienced" PG and most "knowledgable in the system" but if he is the best option we have, then you must question the kind of season we are in for. College basketball is dictated around guard play and that is a proven fact, and with all the great guard duo's around not only college BB but the SEC, then we will already be at a disadvantage going into a guard duel with Porter as our lead, anyone who knows college basketball, and who is unbias, and has watched Porter play (all season) could tell you this.

 

 

 

I may not be like you guys, but I don't like the idea of my PG being at the epicenter of giving up a sixteen point lead to a couple of guards who had been pretty contained all night. I don't know if Porter just got lax out there or what but Clemente and Pullen both started balling on him on both ends and he could do nothing with them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.