North Laurel looking for a new head coach

Boucher

Johnny Poynter wants to get back close to the mountains, it has seemed. Smart, successful, knowledgeable...throw his name in the mix and you can't go wrong.

Coach Poynter is not interested in this job. Good luck to North Laurel in finding the right guy for this job. It proably should be an established head coach. They had a good coach and class guy in Greg Duncum. Maybe they can get someone like that again.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Poynter is not interested in this job. Good luck to North Laurel in finding the right guy for this job. It proably should be an established head coach. They had a good coach and class guy in Greg Duncum. Maybe they can get someone like that again.

I would say NL would be a tough place to coach football IMO.

Brian Lawson does coach and teach at Whitley County, I think he coaches receivers and the QBs. He played at Whitley and Cumberlands. He is the younger brother of Bob Lawson who coaches at Henderson County. They have a younger brother who played at Corbin and plays at Cumberlands now. If you hire Bob Lawson you would have two built in coaches right there. Both of the older Lawson boys were studs at Whitley.

Ok I remember these guys now, Brad was one tough cookie himself, only at Corbin not Whitley.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned that North Laurel has received a ton of applications, many from very qualified applicants, including several head coaches. The interviews should begin next week (12-15-08). I was also told that Whitaker has not applied for the job.

Good luck to North Laurel in finding the right guy for this job. It proably should be an established head coach. They had a good coach and class guy in Greg Duncum. Maybe they can get someone like that again.

I think you are right, Durham said in the paper that everything is in place and that they would prefer an established head coach. Abbott's staff this year may be the best staff I have seen from top to bottom at NL. I certainly hope that most if not all are back next year. Abbott's caring about the kids will be missed. When I saw the kids pointing to Abbott after every score, it showed me what these kids thought of him. Love and respect. Nobody worked any harder than he and his staff and I saw major improvements this season from the beginning until the end of the season, especially in the sophomore and junior classes who will be the core of the 2009 team. Whomever the new coach is will be getting a TON of returning talent, good numbers, and a program which could turn the corner very quickly.

As far as Duncum, I agree. Always liked Greg. Good guy, understands the game, and had the respect of the kids. Hated to see him leave NL when he did.

• 3 weeks later...