North Laurel looking for a new head coach

Boucher

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a new article in today's paper on what direction North Laurel ad Jimmy Durham is looking for the program to go into.

Durham will want a hand in picking the coordinators and other assistant coaches. I think some of the current staff will be asked to stay as I think Durham, Abbott and others have seen what they have the potential to be as coaches.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Whomever takes over is getting some solid young talent and good numbers as well. I know they had injuries and such, but I counted 72 dressed for North Laurel's season opener and I had never seen that many kids at NL playing football. That is a good sign for the future IMHO.

Does Roark have chance at getting the job? Or do they want past HC only?

I know that he is well thought of at North Laurel and has done a good job. However, I think that we may see NL go for an experienced HC for the position. Either way, I am sure that they will want Roark to stay at NL. He is an up and coming young coach with a lot of enthusiasm for the game and the kids. Was an assistant for Dudley Hilton at Bell County before he came to North last year as the line & frosh coach, became the O coordinator this year and did a good job. The kids respond well to him. Then again, I am sure he will be considered given the support he has from the players/parents and the job he has done.

In short, I think he has a chance, but if an experienced successful HC applies, it would be hard not to make that hire.

Wow...Still just wanting to settle, I mean Whitaker or Duncam you've got to be kidding me. I would look at the middle school staff, which has a proven a solid football reputation. First of all, a head coach is only as good as his staff and if Durham or Leger isn't willing to clean house or give the new HC the option to choose his staff they will be setting him up for failure. I don't want to even get started on Roark! I'm a huge fan of HS football but not a fan of NLHSFB, but I will go ahead and give you the answer for head coach. I hope all is listening, if you want turn the program around with an young eager smash mouth coach you'll hire Bobby Joe Lawson. He has a track record in the area as a strong player and a track record of a solid defensive coach. However, success goes back to staff, so allow him to choose his offensive coordinator. This is just my opinion on success free of charge.

Wow...Still just wanting to settle, I mean Whitaker or Duncam you've got to be kidding me. I would look at the middle school staff, which has a proven a solid football reputation. First of all, a head coach is only as good as his staff and if Durham or Leger isn't willing to clean house or give the new HC the option to choose his staff they will be setting him up for failure. I don't want to even get started on Roark! I'm a huge fan of HS football but not a fan of NLHSFB, but I will go ahead and give you the answer for head coach. I hope all is listening, if you want turn the program around with an young eager smash mouth coach you'll hire Bobby Joe Lawson. He has a track record in the area as a strong player and a track record of a solid defensive coach. However, success goes back to staff, so allow him to choose his offensive coordinator. This is just my opinion on success free of charge.

Duncum was turning the program around when he left. The only coach to have back to back winning seasons at NL. Whitaker has been successful in his stops. Carloftis (runs the middle school program) is excellent, but loves what he is doing and is not interested in going back to the high school level. He was an assistant at NLHS under Larry Welch and enjoys the middle school level much more than he did the HS level. I would love to see him there, I know that Duncum and Carloftis talked to him about moving up but he was not interested. Where is Bobby Joe Lawson coaching at right now? I am not sure who he is.

Leger (county AD) being a former football coach, Durham (NLHS AD) being a former state champion softball coach and Huff (assistant principal at NLHS) and former football coach want the program to thrive and grow. They, along with Mike Black the NLHS principal, will do their best to find who they believe is the best fit for the program. I am sure they will let the new coach select his staff as much as possible.

As far as Roark, I think he has been a great assistant at NL, but I am not sure he is ready for the HC job right now. He is young, enthusiastic and the kids respond to him. I certainly hope he stays.

Who is Lawson never heard of him?

NL would be hard pressed to find anyone who would or does work any harded than Roark.

Word on Log Mtn in Bell county, is they are trying to get him back on the hill.

I have been told the same thing. I don't know if he is ready to be the head coach yet, but he is a very energetic, enthusiastic, tough coach who the kids relate to.